Main beam bulb replacement - tips for getting the clip back?

Started by DanRS4x, September 17, 2019, 17:03

DanRS4x

Ok, I know I'm really rubbish at mechanical stuff, but has anyone got a top tip for how to locate the clip that holds the bulb in place? I've been trying for ages, but I can't get it to seat properly.

Ta in advance.
Oscar (the Grouch) named for the grumbly exhaust note
2005 silver HT/AC, Stainless Creations twin exhaust, Tein lowering springs, Ultra Racing front strut brace, Dev's door bushings (more mods to come)

wotugonado

Yep buy the bulb from halfords, go and do some shopping while they struggle all afternoon with it. It's a pita.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Ardent

paulj

Calm Perseverance and child labour (or anyone with good eyes and small hands)
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

shnazzle

It's a game of chance and painful fingertips.
All I will say is that I've often pressed too hard and missed the notch for the clip to fall into.
So, it's a delicate game of pressing just hard enough at the right angle and it always slides in as if it's the easiest thing in the world. Even if you've been at it for 30 mins on one side (been there). All of a sudden it just "pops in"
...neutiquam erro.

wotugonado

Quote from: shnazzle on September 17, 2019, 17:54It's a game of chance and painful fingertips.
All I will say is that I've often pressed too hard and missed the notch for the clip to fall into.
So, it's a delicate game of pressing just hard enough at the right angle and it always slides in as if it's the easiest thing in the world. Even if you've been at it for 30 mins on one side (been there). All of a sudden it just "pops in"
If the author of 50 shades of grey wrote a haynes car manual......

shnazzle

Quote from: wotugonado on September 17, 2019, 18:17
Quote from: shnazzle on September 17, 2019, 17:54It's a game of chance and painful fingertips.
If the author of 50 shades of grey wrote a haynes car manual......
Just... No words...
...neutiquam erro.

wotugonado

shnazzle

Quote from: wotugonado on September 17, 2019, 18:30You knew what you were doing  :)
I was merely trying to illuminate my surroundings, such that I may see the roundabout I spin on.

But, in all seriousness, I have no tips. It really is just lots of swearing and walking circles around the front of your car with your hands on your head while you regain composure and take a few deep breaths.

You can't see a thing. All I can say is that the passenger side one; index finger, push towards front of car and down a bit in various levels of force. It slides into a slot downwards.
Driver's side one is a bit easier as you can get a better angle on it
...neutiquam erro.

DanRS4x

Thanks all, if there's no silver bullet, I'll just keep going.
Oscar (the Grouch) named for the grumbly exhaust note
2005 silver HT/AC, Stainless Creations twin exhaust, Tein lowering springs, Ultra Racing front strut brace, Dev's door bushings (more mods to come)

Bossworld

Bumper off and frunk trim out and it's a doddle to just remove the light and do it that way instead. If you persevere the conventional route, echo what Pat says though about it just suddenly seating home if you don't have the bumper off.

Maybe a small compact mirror might help?

shnazzle

To give you some hope, as per one of my very early posts on ROC, I've managed to do both within 10 mins tops. 
So, it can go either way
...neutiquam erro.

Ozzy

I've done this many times and I believe you need to raise the clip up abit as you push it in and then down to clip it in... Also make sure the bottom part of the clip is going underneath/across the bulb. Sometimes it gets stuck so you have to push it down to clear it (depending on bulb base thickness) if that makes sense.

russ69

Thought I'd fit a couple of brighter whiter bulbs the other week. Thought they were both in nicely after about 45 minutes but the beam pattern is way out (have a small spot of light that shines thru bedroom window when on drive from O/S light, N/S beam pattern is just a blob directly in front of car!!). Not got around to taking em out and trying again yet......bumper off maybe....

Tags: