Dropping the fuel tank - handbrake woes

Started by The Arch Bishop, September 17, 2019, 13:19

The Arch Bishop

Hi all,

I'm in the unenviable position of needing to replace the hand brake cables. So far, I'm down to having removed the fuel tank bolts (what a swine) and resting it on a jack. Pump wiring has been relaxed from inside the car so ready to drop it down, but the most I can lower it is 2 inches - not enough to get to the moronically placed cable brackets behind the tank.

My car is an aircon model, and the pipework for this means it's boxed in on two sides and two corners. I know people have done this, so it must be possible, but how do you get enough space to drop the tank down further?

I'd appreciate any help as once I've done this car, my other MR2 needs exactly the same thing. Sometimes life can be even better than a dream....

mr2garageswindon

It is easier on non AC cars.
Where the metal AC pipes go round the tank you need to undo the 10mm mounting bolts either side and remove the plastic bit in front of fuel tank that holds the pipes together. With the metal pipes loosened you can get enough room to drop the tank.
Its sometimes easier to try and drop one side down at a time.
Not a fun job on the floor.
Best of luck.

The Arch Bishop

You are a gent! I've spent a lot of time on the floor already with it but it's a lot less frustrating if there's a chance you can finish the job you're doing!  ;D

Once I've practised on this one, I'll see if I can put together a how-to guide with images for the site. There don't seem to be any really detailed ones around.

Step 1 - get a garage to do it....

Bossworld

Dick did mine, I think there was some careful and gentle coaxing of the AC pipes.

The Arch Bishop

Quote from: Bossworld on September 17, 2019, 17:17Dick did mine, I think there was some careful and gentle coaxing of the AC pipes.
I'm expecting to use some careless and strong swearing!

mr2garageswindon

I'd recommend genuine cables if possible, they fit much better and are more easy to route then the Pagid replacements. Expensive but last way longer.
Don't forget they are handed too!
Swearing is a MUST on this job. Good luck.

The Arch Bishop

Sadly, genuine is beyond my meagre budget (especially with two cars to do), so I'll be wrestling with the Pagid efforts. The brackets do look very budget though!

ptennisnet

I took the bottom of the bins out and got access to the clips that way

Tags: