Roof Hinge Cover

Started by Sian, September 15, 2019, 11:59

Sian

Hi all. I put the soft top down yesterday, got in the car and discovered a piece of plastic and a small spring on the passenger seat. It's the cover for the roof hinge on the passenger side, just above the window. Having looked at the driver side I'm pretty sure nothing is broken. However after ages of fiddling I can't figure out how to put it back together. I'm pretty sure I know what I need to do. I just think perhaps there's a knack to it to get the spring in place. Anyone managed this before? Does it look like I have all the pieces or has something snapped off?

I've tried searching the forum for answers but can't find anything and not really sure what the piece would be called.

Thanks for your help  :)

You cannot view this attachment.

You cannot view this attachment.

Ardent

Sorry cannot answer your question.
But every day is a school day. Never even knew it was there.

Petrus

If you turn it round, the right side towards the hood metals and the narrowe side towards the windscreen it becomes more obvious that the plastic ´hinges´ go over the pins above the metal arms.
The spring fits bwteen the pair of hinges, over the longer pin. The spring keeps the cover pushed over the arms.

It does not dó anything; is mainly there to prevent fingers getting trapped. You probably inadvertantly knocked it off folding the roof.

You can see how it moves, how it is fitted at the other side when you sit in the seat and have someone else slowy open the roof.

StuC

Have you tried to fit it with the hood
1, fully closed?
2, partially closed?
3, mostly open?

There might be a sweet spot somewhere along the movements.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Sian

Quote from: Petrus on September 15, 2019, 14:08If you turn it round, the right side towards the hood metals and the narrowe side towards the windscreen it becomes more obvious that the plastic ´hinges´ go over the pins above the metal arms.
The spring fits bwteen the pair of hinges, over the longer pin. The spring keeps the cover pushed over the arms.

It does not dó anything; is mainly there to prevent fingers getting trapped. You probably inadvertantly knocked it off folding the roof.

You can see how it moves, how it is fitted at the other side when you sit in the seat and have someone else slowy open the roof.

Yeah it does make sense how you've explained it.  I'll have a closer look at the working side whilst actually opening & closing the roof. Just trying to get the spring to stay in place at the same time as latching the plastic on is proving a bit fiddly.  Perhaps I just need an extra pair of hands!

Quote from: StuC on September 15, 2019, 18:10Have you tried to fit it with the hood
1, fully closed?
2, partially closed?
3, mostly open?

That's a very good point!  It would never have crossed my mind to try and do it half open.  Maybe there's a point during opening that it's looser / less fiddly & would be easier to get back on (or knock off originally!).

Thank you all for the help  :)  I'll attack it at the weekend & let you know how I get on!

StuC

Quote from: Sian on September 17, 2019, 10:37
Quote from: StuC on September 15, 2019, 18:10Have you tried to fit it with the hood
1, fully closed?
2, partially closed?
3, mostly open?

That's a very good point!  It would never have crossed my mind to try and do it half open.  Maybe there's a point during opening that it's looser / less fiddly & would be easier to get back on (or knock off originally!).

Thank you all for the help  :)  I'll attack it at the weekend & let you know how I get on!

Good to see you getting stuck into it. We look forward to positive results. :D
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Sian

Unfortunately despite my best efforts and all your advice I've got nowhere putting this back together! The issue is getting the spring to stay under tension whilst getting the other bits in place. It prefers to just fly off randomly. This may be something to attack on ding day or I'll just learn to live without!

househead

Looks/sounds like a job for two sets of hands this one! It's a long way to ding day but plenty of hands on offer there!
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Tags: