Undertrays?

Started by JB21, September 11, 2019, 10:03

JB21

Does the roadster have front and rear under trays? Mine has none and I can only find a rear online. I'm getting a lot of lift at the front which is shown by the bonnet flapping at higher speeds so need to get this sorted with either a front tray or some sort of fabrication to the floor.

househead

Standard UK cars come with front and rear undertrays (or nappies as we call them). The rear one is in two parts so there's 3 in total. Afaik, US and JDM cars don't have them as standard but they could be supplied as an option.

Many people run without the nappy with no problems at all so it sounds like you have an issue unrelated to them. Could it be your bonnet catch?
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

JB21

Quote from: househead on September 11, 2019, 10:28Standard UK cars come with front and rear undertrays (or nappies as we call them). The rear one is in two parts so there's 3 in total. Afaik, US and JDM cars don't have them as standard but they could be supplied as an option.

Many people run without the nappy with no problems at all so it sounds like you have an issue unrelated to them. Could it be your bonnet catch?

Bonnet catch is fine. I have no frunk bin so that wont help and the previous owner skinned the lid so its probably a mix of both.

I'll look at getting a flat floor eventually which would sort it.

james_ly

Most people's rear trays are flimsy crap held on by cable ties as the bolts shear. Not sure about the front, pretty sure I can see the road in my frunk as mine has no wheel etc, so I don't think the MR2 comes with a flat floor?
MR2 gone<br />GT86

Carolyn

My JDM car has a front undertray.  So does my Euro spec car.

I don't run them at the back, but I feel the front one is good for aero under the car.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Beachbum957

There are apparently 2 different front undertrays under the radiator. 

57381-17020 - Standard
57381-17030 - "Cold" spec

There isn't any solid info on the difference, but the description implies one was meant for colder regions, either for different air flow or more protection

That cover should probably be in place.  As for the rear covers, we have 2 MR2, and neither have had them for many years

paulj

I have a front under tray but also had a flappy bonnet. I adjusted the catch down although I don't think that was the main help.....  adding a felt pad to the tops of both rubber posts near the front made the bonnet firmer. Slightly higher if you look closely but a much more satisfying fit at speed
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

JB21

Quote from: paulj on September 11, 2019, 17:36I have a front under tray but also had a flappy bonnet. I adjusted the catch down although I don't think that was the main help.....  adding a felt pad to the tops of both rubber posts near the front made the bonnet firmer. Slightly higher if you look closely but a much more satisfying fit at speed

Cheers mate. Got a picture of were you fitted the pads. Mine flaps at the top of the bonnet nearest the wind screen on the drivers side.

Petrus

Mine lifted too.
Adressed it by adding two vent holes and the front rubber lip.
It´s a lót better now; some 100 km/h better.

paulj

Not in the same place as my car so can't send photos. My flapping was from the front edge of the bonnet, the two rubbers are little pillars just behind the headlight area on the strengthener bars which run backwards.

Sadly I cant offer any advice for wobble at the back edge of the bonnet.  I would imagine the hinge bolts would allow adjustment but that's just based on logic!
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Tags: