Car turns over won't start

Started by Stag, September 4, 2019, 19:34

Stag

Upon putting a new 1zz engine in to my 2001 mr2, it won't start, it turns over and makes compression. But the Immobiliser light continues to flash when I try and start it. I've tried resetting the ECU, swapping over the ECU relay, but no luck.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can get this sorted. It's the same ECU that was in it before so their is no reason why it should not like the keys. I have tried all 3 of the spare keys

Any help would be appreciated

jonbill

Any think changed around the steering column/ignition lock area since it last worked?

StuC

Quote from: Stag on September  4, 2019, 19:34Upon putting a new 1zz engine in to my 2001 mr2, it won't start, it turns over and makes compression. But the Immobiliser light continues to flash when I try and start it. I've tried resetting the ECU, swapping over the ECU relay, but no luck.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can get this sorted. It's the same ECU that was in it before so their is no reason why it should not like the keys. I have tried all 3 of the spare keys

Any help would be appreciated

Can you confirm that the fuelling is ok?
Both mechanical and electronic.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Stag

Noting has changed but the engine since
Quote from: jonbill on September  4, 2019, 19:45Any think changed around the steering column/ignition lock area since it last worked?

Can you confirm that the fuelling is ok?
Both mechanical and electronic.
[/quote]

The fuel pump won't turn on unless the immobiliser allows it so I could not tell. Worked completely fine a week ago before the original engine went pop

jonbill

Maybe check the pins of the plugs going into the ecu. I'm not even sure the immobiliser is the same ecu as the engine but if it is and you've bent a pin, that would explain it.

Stag

Quote from: jonbill on September  4, 2019, 22:27Maybe check the pins of the plugs going into the ecu. I'm not even sure the immobiliser is the same ecu as the engine but if it is and you've bent a pin, that would explain it.
highly doubt it but worth a shot

Carolyn

Could be as simple as dirt in the connecting blocks from the engine to the car.  I would disconnect all the connectors to the ECU and car, spray liberally with contact cleaner, blow out with compressed air and re-connect.

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

paulj

If it doesn't like all your keys and the immobiliser light still flashes, try reprogramming one of the keys as if it is new. The ECU should have held the data but perhaps not
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Joesson

You say that the immobiliser light remains on when you try to start it.
If this was a PC you would have switched it off and then on again.
Have you tried simply locking the car, setting the immobiliser and then unlocking again?

Tags: