Valve cover painting - audi

Started by jvanzyl, August 14, 2019, 09:16

jvanzyl

Hi folks,
So I started doing my valve covers on the audi last night they were in a dire state!
The short of it is that I've finally cleaned up everything but audi seems to think it's a brilliant idea to have painted both the inside and outside of their valve covers - and basically the inside paint started bubbling and me and my handy scourer have taken off all the loose bits and I've pressure washed it.

Here's my question - how do you ensure that you don't get any further peeling of the paint when it's been put back together? Is it even a risk? Or do I have sand it all back to the metal?

This is pre cleaning
You cannot view this attachment.
This is post cleaning
You cannot view this attachment.

Thoughts/opinions welcome!

Carolyn

I'd have them bead blasted, or some other  non-sand medium.  Nothing too harsh.

Bound to be someone fairly local who does it.

Looking at all the dark black stuff.... not good....
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

jvanzyl

Quote from: Carolyn on August 14, 2019, 09:19I'd have them bead blasted, or some other  non-sand medium.  Nothing too harsh.

Bound to be someone fairly local who does it.

Looking at all the dark black stuff.... not good....

Cheers Carolyn, so something harder then a pressure washer..... out of curiosity, and I'd NEVER do it really... but what about a dishwasher on like 70 degrees C?

Yeah the outer gasket came off fine but the one's around the spark plugs had to be gently chiseled off.. These engine bays get mega hot, and everything I've read seems to strongly urge doing whatever you can to get rid of heat. But the crusted oil is not great.

Carolyn

Dishwasher is above my pay-grade! :)
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

furbern

Just a warning on the use of dishwashers; a Land Rover forum member used one for a cylinder head, and it did a good job, true, but....it coloured the inside of the dishwasher grey, so he had to get another or get divorced.

Call the midlife!

I bought a galvanised dustbin with lid, raised it on bricks, filled it with degreasing solution and put a gas burner under it. Did a lovely job.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Tags: