Is it possible to replace the side sills?

Started by jvanzyl, July 17, 2019, 15:29

jvanzyl

Hey folks,
Is it possible to replace the sills?
You cannot view this attachment.

StuC

Replace them with what? cheese? ;)

Seriously though...are you talking the welded in sills?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

jvanzyl

Quote from: StuC on July 17, 2019, 15:31Replace them with what? cheese? ;)

Seriously though...are you talking the welded in sills?

I'd like to replace them with blue ones :)

Ah - didn't realise they were welded in.. so that means that the colour change options are, repainting, wrapping, and covering with side skirts and living with the small visible bit..

StuC

yup pretty much

or

you could use wax crayons... if that tickled your fancy. ;)

Carolyn

John, please...

It's a convertible.  In all modern cars, the sills are a vital part of the car's structure.  Even more so when there's no roof!!!

They hold the front to the back!!!

That's why rusty sills must be cut out and replaced with continuously welded steel in all cases.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

jvanzyl

Quote from: Carolyn on July 17, 2019, 16:34John, please...

It's a convertible.  In all modern cars, the sills are a vital part of the car's structure.  Even more so when there's no roof!!!

That's why rusty sills must be cut out and replaced with continuously welded steel in all cases.

Didn't know if they were covers or actually integral to the structure - the fact that Deano said they could be swapped was what got me wondering.

StuC

The kick plates on the top of the sills can be changed. The black trim pieces. They clip in and out without any drama.

Topdownman

Can i suggest TTE style side skirts?

These cover a fair bit of the sills and only those special few would get to see the debacle* on the inside.

* Or amazing flawless paintwork?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Chilli Girl

Simon, what's the black cable for draped over sill?  Just interested, that's all. :)
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Topdownman

Ha, thats a temperature sensor (indoor and outdoor readings).

Sadly not plugged into anything now as it broke but not got round to removing the sensor...
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Carolyn

Quote from: jvanzyl on July 17, 2019, 16:59
Quote from: Carolyn on July 17, 2019, 16:34John, please...

Didn't know if they were covers or actually integral to the structure - the fact that Deano said they could be swapped was what got me wondering.

Sorry about being so brusque!!  I've seen some horror stories regarding sills over the years.  There's always paint!!
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

jvanzyl

No worries Carolyn - I can appreciate that some comments I make must create much sighing and eye rolling in your household..probably with the occasional "get me my gun David I'm going to sort this fool out once and for all!".. or words to that effect ;)

@Topdownman thanks very much for the pics! I think the sideskirts is the way to go...

StuC

@jvanzyl it's all learning mate.
Just don't ask the same question twice! ;)

shnazzle

Quote from: jvanzyl on July 18, 2019, 08:57"get me my gun David I'm going to sort this fool out once and for all!".

LOL!! Brilliant. I can totally picture that
...neutiquam erro.

Dift

Quote from: Topdownman on July 17, 2019, 17:11Can i suggest TTE style side skirts?

These cover a fair bit of the sills and only those special few would get to see the debacle* on the inside.

* Or amazing flawless paintwork?
not a bad idea

Tags: