Clutch pedal extension for short people!

Started by thetyrant, February 16, 2019, 08:59

thetyrant

Ok as im vertically challenged @5ft 3 and with short legs I often struggle with long travel clutch pedals on cars,  my other half is only 5ft on a good day so she is even worse, I find the 2 has a long travel and I have to have seat probably 1 click too far forward than I would like to enable me to fully depress the clutch which puts me a bit close to wheel and other pedals, it not terrible and im used to it now but would be nice to be able to move it back a touch to improve things, also I want to get other half into driving the 2 but she has to have seat fully forward to reach clutch fully which puts her too close to steering wheel for safety so im looking at options to sort this.

I wondered if anyone has found or made a clutch pedal extension pad on the 2 or any other car (I have same issue on my bmw and would be good to find solution to that also!) ive seen a few extensions aimed at mobility market but they are too much of an extension for us I think typically around 2-3" and I think 1"  would be plenty for us.

Current plans are maybe getting some alloy pedal covers and packing out clutch with extra metal behind it but want to be sure its all safe and solid and pedals being curved will be a biot of work to get it perfect I think, another option is getting a couple of pedal rubbers to screw/bond together to fit onto pedal in oem way, anyhows if you have found a solution or have sensible idea on better plan let me know :D

Ian
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

Carolyn

I think something very adequate could be fashioned from layering pads made from conveyor belt rubber, drilling all the way though and securing with countersunk M6 machine screws.

I have conveyor belt rubber, I'll have to look to see if we have long enough screws.

Happy to post it all to you.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

StuC

@thetyrant would you consider an extension on all of the pedals to enable both of you to sit a little further rearwards?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

thetyrant

Quote from: Carolyn on February 16, 2019, 09:04
I think something very adequate could be fashioned from layering pads made from conveyor belt rubber, drilling all the way though and securing with countersunk M6 machine screws.

I have conveyor belt rubber, I'll have to look to see if we have long enough screws.

Happy to post it all to you.

Thanks that's one of the sort of things im thinking of making/trying out, ive got some sound deadening rubber which would work I think so will have a play when I get a chance but thanks for offer :)

thetyrant

Quote from: StuC on February 16, 2019, 09:32
@thetyrant would you consider an extension on all of the pedals to enable both of you to sit a little further rearwards?

Its an option but I feel the brake and accelerator are not an issue and if anything a little to close to the seat, especially the accelerator, clutch is fine at rest just a long way to the floor which is the issue, brake pedal hardly moves in comparison and accel travel is a lot less also just the pesky clutch!

When we were looking for a fresh car for other half last year we spent 2 days going around dealers blagging keys for cars on forecourts to see if she could push clutch all way in before going to look at private sale cars, typically only cars we found suitable at dealers were brand new ones!....in the end we found a mk2 yaris offered enough adjustment but I think she is still a bit close to enable full clutch travel which isn't safe so that car might be getting a tinker as well.

Ardent

As someone that is considerably shorter than you.

I can say that there is enough adjustment in the clutch pedal set up to have the bite point a lot higher.

If mine was towards the bottom. I would utterly screwed. It can be brought up.

I suppose the 1st question is. To establish
Starting point.
Do you need to fully depress to the carpet to change now?

Ardent

Apologies for stating the obvious. But a good place to also check is that the seat is in the raised position.

J03

The Silver Shed - 2zz Rotrex ........  viewtopic.php?f=88&t=53969

thetyrant

Quote from: Ardent on February 16, 2019, 11:58
As someone that is considerably shorter than you.

I can say that there is enough adjustment in the clutch pedal set up to have the bite point a lot higher.

If mine was towards the bottom. I would utterly screwed. It can be brought up.

I suppose the 1st question is. To establish
Starting point.
Do you need to fully depress to the carpet to change now?

The current bite point is quite low to floor so not sure of adjusting pedal rod will work, if that's what your thinking of ?

I don't like seat full height and can manage with it lower but Mrs needs it full up and full forward which is too close to steering wheel I think.

Ardent

The problem is, i don't know what i mean either.
The chap that sorted mine out. Is non contactable at present so cannot ask him what or how he sorted it.
Pedal end, clutch end or both.
But my bite point is near the top.

cyclehead

Here's a crazy idea - fit a VH44 brake booster in line with the clutch hydraulics.   I did it on my 2GR swap to reduce clutch pedal pressure.   It has the side effect of reducing the clutch pedal throw.  I added an adjustable threaded clutch pedal bump stop to take up the un-necessary travel.  With shorter travel, you could weld on whatever extension you need to the pedal face, and the pedal travel wouldn't swing some ridiculous pedal arc.
2002 SMT in Yellow
2001 2GR swap in Black

ayresyboy

1998 MR2 4th generation 3SGTE // 1997 MR2 Supercharged 2GRFE V6 // 2003 Caldina GT4N

thetyrant

Quote from: cyclehead on February 17, 2019, 14:17
Here's a crazy idea - fit a VH44 brake booster in line with the clutch hydraulics.   I did it on my 2GR swap to reduce clutch pedal pressure.   It has the side effect of reducing the clutch pedal throw.  I added an adjustable threaded clutch pedal bump stop to take up the un-necessary travel.  With shorter travel, you could weld on whatever extension you need to the pedal face, and the pedal travel wouldn't swing some ridiculous pedal arc.

Hmm i dont need that extreme but interesting idea thanks, im interested in what you did and pedal stop though as below, any pictures of what you did ?

After a good drive out on sunday the bite is more in the middle of stroke than i thought so i think a pedal travel limit bumpstop of some sort might be enough to make it easier for the mrs to drive, will have a dig around in footwell when i get chance see what is possible.

Ardent

Do not know the correct name, but there are certain packaging foam/sponge that is rather firm that can add an easy 1" to the pedal with no weight penalty. Simply stick it to the pedal with some double sided adhesive tape.

This sort of stuff
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50M-Double-Sided-Super-Sticky-Clear-Tape-Red-Strong-Craft-DIY-Roll-1-3-5-8-10mm/163047074690?hash=item25f65ceb82:m:mFIeYlftEe27NObpK5mCvVg&var=462161447990

cyclehead

Quote from: thetyrant on February 18, 2019, 09:38
Quote from: cyclehead on February 17, 2019, 14:17Here's a crazy idea - fit a VH44 brake booster in line with the clutch hydraulics.   I did it on my 2GR swap to reduce clutch pedal pressure.   It has the side effect of reducing the clutch pedal throw.  I added an adjustable threaded clutch pedal bump stop to take up the un-necessary travel.  With shorter travel, you could weld on whatever extension you need to the pedal face, and the pedal travel wouldn't swing some ridiculous pedal arc.

Hmm i dont need that extreme but interesting idea thanks, im interested in what you did and pedal stop though as below, any pictures of what you did ?

After a good drive out on sunday the bite is more in the middle of stroke than i thought so i think a pedal travel limit bumpstop of some sort might be enough to make it easier for the mrs to drive, will have a dig around in footwell when i get chance see what is possible.

I'll try to find a picture.  I installed a rivet-nut (rivnut) in the clutch bracket, and a bolt.  The clutch pedal bottoms out on the bolt head.  The bolt can be threaded in/out to adjust the max travel of the clutch pedal.  Starting to recall - I think I installed the rivnut into the open hole where the rubber bumper is supposed to go.
2002 SMT in Yellow
2001 2GR swap in Black

cyclehead

Before I installed the threaded bump stop - I had a piece of wood attached to the backside of the clutch pedal using two zip ties.   That will have the same effect, just not as pretty.
2002 SMT in Yellow
2001 2GR swap in Black

cyclehead

2002 SMT in Yellow
2001 2GR swap in Black

Tags: