Stay Rod Clip Engine Compartment Lid

Started by Pierce, February 11, 2019, 16:52

Pierce

The little black plastic clip into which the stay rod fits has snapped .I suspect that many other people have the same problem.An elegant solution is a small bar magnet of which numerous are available on e-bay. In order to make things neater I removed the remains of the clip by drilling a hole in it then using a countersink. The use of a magnet is Not my idea.It came from Dick Sloan of MR2 Recycling.

jonbill

shnazzle

Very clever! Why did I never think of that?
Both of mine have been broken for years
...neutiquam erro.

Carolyn

I always nick'em off cars ready to go to scrap at Deano's.

But you're right -they are old and they get brittle. 

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Topdownman

A new one is nearly £10 from memory too!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Bossworld

These aren't an exact fit into the body because of the shape but been happily in place for a year or so

Bonnet Prop Rod Clip Black. Suit Fiat, Toyota MR 2 Mk 3 2000/2006 x 2 https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F152543820368

paulj

Just ordered one.  £2.65 is worth a try!  That has been one of my pet niggles and I forgot to ask Dean for one when I bought some parts from him.
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

StuC

Quote from: Carolyn on February 11, 2019, 17:39

I have an image of you scouring over  all the little nick naks off those cars...
One of those, some of these and one of those. Like a kid at a pick and mix sweet shop. Lol
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Call the midlife!

Quote from: StuC on February 11, 2019, 20:11

I have an image of you scouring over  all the little nick naks off those cars...
One of those, some of these and one of those. Like a kid at a pick and mix sweet shop. Lol
I'm the same when I go to the scrapyard, picked up another Rover 45 armrest top on Sunday, just because it was there. I must have 2 full sets of "spare" coil packs and half a dozen O2 sensors on the shelf now, if only half of them work I've still saved money for the few quid they cost me. Had my head under the bonnet of a Corolla that I couldn't decide if I could strip bits off so left it in peace [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

Carolyn

Quote from: StuC on February 11, 2019, 20:11

There's always loads of very good nuts and bolts lying on the floor.  You know, suspension and engine mount stuff that's very Toyota specific... I tend to pick a few up each time,,,, Dean doesn't mind. 
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Pierce

A bit more detail.The clip hole is an 8x10mm rectangle so drill a 7mm hole and cut into the corners with a stanley knife.The bits will then lift out (or fall through). I used a countersink because at that time I did not know the size of the hole. Beware prying with a screwdriver,the metal is very thin. The magnet I used was 55x18x8mm for no other reason than I had one this size,it does not have to be this big.

jonbill

Quote from: Pierce on February 12, 2019, 11:45
A bit more detail.The clip hole is an 8x10mm rectangle so drill a 7mm hole and cut into the corners with a stanley knife.The bits will then lift out (or fall through). I used a countersink because at that time I did not know the size of the hole. Beware prying with a screwdriver,the metal is very thin. The magnet I used was 55x18x8mm for no other reason than I had one this size,it does not have to be this big.
Thanks

Bossworld

Quote from: paulj on February 11, 2019, 20:03
Just ordered one.  £2.65 is worth a try!  That has been one of my pet niggles and I forgot to ask Dean for one when I bought some parts from him.

It's in no danger of falling out or being pulled out, but this is the amount of play I have.  Not sure how much a stock one would have in comparison?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx9UFdRHvcg

kwnelson

A'int worth mucking about with magnets, sky hooks would be better.   However, you could buy x2 "correct fit" for £2.48 from ebay,   punch in "2 clips for Toyota stay support strut prop rod holder" free postage.    They work great!
Silver FL 2004 bog standard with TTE,.   H/T On    S/T Perfect

Tags: