ECU Master DET3 ok to use with stage 1 Cams on 1zz?

Started by Mikeymead, July 6, 2018, 14:50

Mikeymead

So as the title suggests, Would a ECU Master Det3 piggy back be enough to use with stage 1 cams or will I need a standalone Ecu?
Ding Day 2016 "Best In Show" & "Inspector Gadget" winner, not that I'm gloating or anything like that!

shnazzle

Stg1 doesn't even really NEED any ecu changes. But definitely better.
So yes, it'll add some value
...neutiquam erro.

Mikeymead

Quote from: shnazzle on July  6, 2018, 16:56

So how about if you added high compression pistols into the equation?
Ding Day 2016 "Best In Show" & "Inspector Gadget" winner, not that I'm gloating or anything like that!

shnazzle

Quote from: Mikeymead on July  6, 2018, 20:30
Quote from: shnazzle on July  6, 2018, 16:56

So how about if you added high compression pistols into the equation?

I would back away, hold my hands up and say please don't shoot
...neutiquam erro.

Mikeymead

Whoops, auto correct strikes again, obviously ment pistons :-[

shnazzle

Quote from: Mikeymead on July  6, 2018, 21:02
Whoops, auto correct strikes again, obviously ment pistons :-[
Haha. I know. Having a laugh :)

I wouldn't make big changes like that without at least a piggyback like DET3. But at that point you're changing your volumetric efficiency quite drastically so I'd be tempted to go down the route of standalone
...neutiquam erro.

Mikeymead

Yeah, your not the first to tell me this, I think at this point it's going to get a bit too complcated and costly for me. Maybe I'll just rebuild the spare engine with the cams and sell the pistons on, I only got them as I placed a cheeky low bid on ebay and only went and won it.

shnazzle

Quote from: Mikeymead on July  6, 2018, 22:01
Yeah, your not the first to tell me this, I think at this point it's going to get a bit too complcated and costly for me. Maybe I'll just rebuild the spare engine with the cams and sell the pistons on, I only got them as I placed a cheeky low bid on ebay and only went and won it.
Certainly not a lost cause. You could maybe use a thicker head gasket to bring them closer to stock compression. (bit out of my depth there and all).

Higher comp would mean cams, valves, springs, your vvti map would be out of sync, your idle would be all over the place. You can see how it quickly becomes standalone territory.
And for what? 2zz is 11:1 isn't it? And that's only 190hp even with a lift cam! So, mid 180s tops? It's definitely a big bump and a lovely one at that, but that's a lot of dosh for a bump when the same dosh will give you a solid 200+ through other means.
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: