Suspension (coilovers and ancillaries) shopping list, please!

Started by BahnStormer, May 20, 2018, 17:59

BahnStormer

Okay - as per my other posts (e.g. spotted)...
Quote from: BahnStormer on May 20, 2018, 17:01
... I've just done a test drive in @Smcknighty 's turbo '2 with MeisterR's...
... a huge thanks to @Smcknighty as now I'm pretty settled on the MeisterR CRD+s for the suspension replacement.

I'm probably going to try to do it myself with some assistance (location and partners in crime TBC once I have the bits) and then take it up to WIM* for a proper geo fix.

*that is 50-60 miles away from the places I'm looking to do the work

#1 What droplinks** do I need?

#2 What polybushes** do I need - softer options preferred, but just not rubber :)

#3 What other parts** / consumables do I need? (e.g. any other bolts / bushes that might need replacing + MeisterR try to push their £15 anti-rust coating)

#4 Is it worth getting it checked a mile or two away first (I think I get free 4 wheel alignment checks at Merityre Kingston), then driving it up to WIM afterwards? Just so I don't trash the tyres / anything else if it's really bad....

#5 Does anybody know what comes in the MeisterR CRD+ kit? (SKU: MC18R)

**part names/numbers and quantities please? recommended links even better!

And yes, I know the MeisterR do a slight discount for ROC members:
Quote from: MeisterR on January 12, 2018, 16:29
Edwin
5% OFF MeisterR Coilovers for MR2ROC members.
Use Voucher Code MR2ROC when ordering on http://www.meisterr.co.uk
0% Interest Finance Available (No Deposit Requirement)

I've checked - still applies, so £829 becomes £787.55...

No major rush - need to make sure I can pay off the summer holiday first otherwise the mid-year review from "management" is going to be  >>:| :protest: :protest: :protest:
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Ardent

Cannot help with the shopping list, But,
WIM is 80m from me.

The deal here is though, although many may use the same kit as them, they have the knowlege to use it.
You can tell them what you want it to do and they will dial it in.
Road work? fast road? track?

These do not just say yes its fine its in tollarance, these Set it up.

BahnStormer

Quote from: Ardent on May 20, 2018, 21:48
...many may use the same kit as them, they have the knowlege to use it.

I get what you're saying: My interpretation would be that it's worth getting the car done to check that it is fairly straight once the suspension is on.... just so it doesn't trash anything.... then also worth spending the time + pennies to get it to WIM to set it up for a nice neutral balance so it doesn't understeer like crazy and/or try to spit you out of every corner backwards... both of which are apparently option with a setup that is "within tolerances"...

Right now mine seems unbelievably well behaved: scarcely understeers at all and although the back will come out, it's usually intentional and/or related to damp roads.... it's just the precarious "wobbly leaning" in corners that I need to get rid of with fresh suspension!
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Topdownman

You can get a set of rear droplinks from TCB in the affiliates, give them a ring in the morning and you should get them the next day. I bought some a year ago for about £34 delivered. By ringing them, they do all the work ordering the right bits!

People usually buy these so they dont have a problem getting the old ones off as they come off on the shock (just need to undo them at one end). The front droplinks are not connected to the shock hence they usually get left alone.

You dont need any polybushes to put coilovers on.

I wouldnt worry about driving 50 miles to WIM (but not thrashing it obvs.) but you do need to get the ride height you want by the time you get there even if you have to stop and adjust it on the way!

You may want to consider something like the whiteline camber bolts for the rear as if you are going low then you could end up with too much rear camber although my tyre place managed to adjust mine slightly on the standard bolts.

Its also a good time to paint those inner arches with the shocks out!

"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

BahnStormer

so in addition to the MeisterR's, you're saying rear drop-links and a tin of Fertan (rust converter + re-seal) is all I should need?

Topdownman

Yep, that should be it, I think I used rust remedy on the rusty bits after a wire brushing and hammerite though!

Probably some plus gas too.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

BahnStormer

Quote from: Topdownman on May 21, 2018, 17:52
some plus gas too.
I've always got a can of the "Penetrating Spray" WD40 (seems to pretty much be WD40 though)...

Smcknighty

Plusgas is 100% better than wd40.

Tools wise - jack, jack stands, wheel chocks, hammer of Thor, socket set, spanner's, angle grinder, hex bits, breaker bar. Torque wrench maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topdownman

Plus an allen key for the centre of the droplink (5mm ??).
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

BahnStormer

Quote from: Smcknighty on May 21, 2018, 21:46
Plusgas is 100% better than wd40.
Not actually WD40, but it's just made by the same people that do WD40.... but yes, I'll bear that in mind for next time I need some!

Bcxbcx

For question #5, the MeisterR coilovers come with;
stickers
instructions
3 lock ring type spanners - 2 one sided, 1 longer double sided
Some nuts, 2 different sizes
Some Allen headed bolts
An Allen key

I can't elaborate more on bolts etc, as I haven't fitted them yet (still collecting parts).

I'm also replacing drop links, new front wishbones (from USA at about a 1/4 the price of over here).
I also want to do the rear bushes too (would prefer standard) and the ARB Bushes (plus clean up/paint the ARB); but I haven't bought most of the rear yet.
I've also got a refurb'd cross member to go In!
2000 W PFL in black

BahnStormer

Quote from: Bcxbcx on May 22, 2018, 11:39
Is that really part of the same job?

Bcxbcx

Quote from: BahnStormer on May 22, 2018, 11:50
Quote from: Bcxbcx on May 22, 2018, 11:39
Is that really part of the same job?

Well, depends on your car/how you want to look at it!

My cross member is a little crusty (although not yet shot) and I got a nice refurb'd cross member for a good price. If I'm replacing the bushings/arms (which are attached) and generally working in that area, its preferable for me to get it done at the same time and not revisit/regret not doing it.
It is just what seems right for my situation.

My car is 7ish years older and over 100k, so everything is probably a little more worn than yours.
2000 W PFL in black

BahnStormer

Quote from: Bcxbcx on May 22, 2018, 12:39

My car is 7ish years older and over 100k, so everything is probably a little more worn than yours.

fair call, makes sense...

mine is 10years and 10months as of yesterday.... but has done just over >60k, so has a few miles under the belt already.... and yes, rear subframe pretty crusty, but nowhere near shot yet!!

BahnStormer

Unfortunately, it looks like MeisterR are having stock problems, so not sure if I'll be able to get them in time (they're quoting 6 weeks!!)... I avoided the MeisterR store as at least they were saying "out of stock", but Kam Racing said they had them and now they're saying that they're also waiting on stock from MeisterR  :( I felt like cancelling as a matter of principle, but at least they've changed their website status now.

Are there any other options in terms of good coilovers that will have the MeisterR turn-in AND close to the MeisterR road manners on rippled surfaces? I have driven one on  pretty rough roads that I know very well and they're very comparable - although admittedly the other car with MeisterR's had Toyo T1R's, I think... and my car had AD08R's (and 60k+ shocks and springs).

shnazzle

BC Racing, Yellowspeed (a slight notch in quality down), and Paul at TCB sells K-Sport which are very popular in the USA.
...neutiquam erro.

BahnStormer

Quote from: shnazzle on June  7, 2018, 15:38
BC Racing, Yellowspeed (a slight notch in quality down), and Paul at TCB sells K-Sport which are very popular in the USA.

Thanks for the responses - you're not filling me with confidence though :(

To KAM Racing's credit - I dropped them a note to say what MeisterR had told me and did they really think they'd have them stock "within the next few days" and they refunded me in full within half an hour.

shnazzle

Have you looked at BCs though. You can sometimes sneak up to a canny deal for them.
They were the midrange coilover of choice before MeisterR came with their ridiculous group buy :)
...neutiquam erro.

jvanzyl

Quote from: shnazzle on June  7, 2018, 15:48
Have you looked at BCs though. You can sometimes sneak up to a canny deal for them.
They were the midrange coilover of choice before MeisterR came with their ridiculous group buy :)

I reckon you should be the first in the country to go for K-sports... I'm sure Paul at TCB would help you out price wise in order to start getting some of the product out there....

shnazzle

Quote from: jvanzyl on June  7, 2018, 16:09

I reckon you should be the first in the country to go for K-sports... I'm sure Paul at TCB would help you out price wise in order to start getting some of the product out there....

Exactly! It's good kit and you'd be a trendsetter.

@Paul@TCB help the guy out!
...neutiquam erro.

mikek

Quote from: shnazzle on June  7, 2018, 16:20

If I was going for coil overs I think I would go for the K-sports. They are very well thought of in the states, tcb had them at a great price when launched and I like to be a bit different.

2zz by Rogue. Se7en cams. BMC CDA. Competion clutches lightened flywheel, Megillian Racing Exhaust. TRD sportivo suspension and ARB\'s. TRD braces. TRD quick shift. TRD dash kit, Matts brace. Getting there but not sure when it will stop!

BahnStormer

Quote from: shnazzle on June  7, 2018, 16:20

If the K Sports are popular elsewhere and make sense, then I don't mind giving it a try: from what I can see they've got all the same adjustments, etc as the MeisterR's and I guess we need to make plans if MeisterR have supply problems.

I dropped an e-mail to @Paul@TCB (tcbtoyotaparts@h***ail.com) and directed him toward this thread.

I'll be doing this at @jvanzyl's as he lives around the corner from WIM, and I'll be trying to grab a few photo's along the way and write this up from the point of view of a noobie.

BahnStormer

If TCB don't stock them, then what are the other options?

How about BC Racing, BR Series?

And if BC Racing are okay, do I go for the Type RA (pillowball front, rubber topmount rear) or hunt around for the less common Type RS (rubber topmount front and rear)? Also 4kg/6kg or 5kg/7kg?

And what about damping adjustment extenders? I'm guessing these are normally for rear dampers only and not exactly required given where the rear topmounts are :)

BahnStormer

It looks like the easiest to find (out of any sub-£1000 coilovers) are the BC Racing BR Series (type RA) and they're slightly cheaper than the MeisterR / K-Sports.

They're also available in 4kg/mm + 6kg/mm (F+R spring rates), for a more road-biased ride.

Does anybody have the BC Racing BR's on theirs'? Opinions?

Quote from: BahnStormer on June  8, 2018, 14:24
If TCB don't stock them, then what are the other options?

How about BC Racing, BR Series?

And if BC Racing are okay, do I go for the Type RA (pillowball front, rubber topmount rear) or hunt around for the less common Type RS (rubber topmount front and rear)? Also 4kg/6kg or 5kg/7kg?

And what about damping adjustment extenders? I'm guessing these are normally for rear dampers only and not exactly required given where the rear topmounts are :)

shnazzle

I mentioned the BCs earlier.
I've got them. They were the defacto standard on this forum and many others for years.

I'm on the 4/6kg springs with rear rubber top mount.

I use my car daily. Have had them on for years now.
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: