Short shifter

Started by Nvy, May 2, 2018, 20:44

Nvy

Anybody used any cheapo short shifter off ebay? I found TWM one but its about 200 dollars which is way more than the monkeywrench one. 200 dollars seems quite expensive to me.

Ardent

had a car with a short shifter. Do not know which one, but it was bloody awful.

m1tch

Think mine was an ebay special, I like it - might be worth looking to start off with the upgraded cage mounts first and see if you want to go with a shortshifter.

Nvy

Quote from: m1tch on May  3, 2018, 07:40
Think mine was an ebay special, I like it - might be worth looking to start off with the upgraded cage mounts first and see if you want to go with a shortshifter.

While the shifter has a bit of moving the throw is rly long for my liking. I have already purchased the bearings from the group buy that ill replace the bushings with but wanted to make the throw a bit shorter. The length of the shifter itself does not bother me. All i could find is ebay special shifter. Do you have a link to upgraded cage mounts?

shnazzle

Widermuller's big foot cage mounts and Nathan's cable bushings makes a world of difference to shifting.

A free alternative to shott shifter is modifying your own. The hardest part is getting the gear stick out of the plastic cage. The pin is a pain to get out that locks it in place.

Basically you can cut it down, thread it down a bit lower and knock the shaft lower down into the pivot ball.

This probably makes no sense without seeing it hahaa
...neutiquam erro.

Nvy

Quote from: shnazzle on May  3, 2018, 08:56
Widermuller's big foot cage mounts and Nathan's cable bushings makes a world of difference to shifting.

A free alternative to shott shifter is modifying your own. The hardest part is getting the gear stick out of the plastic cage. The pin is a pain to get out that locks it in place.

Basically you can cut it down, thread it down a bit lower and knock the shaft lower down into the pivot ball.

True, i didnt get it :D Ill have a look on it, i know how my short shifter looked on the civic but this one is a bit different. Ill also think of designing an alternative to the swapping the whole thing.

I already have Nathan's cable bushings sitting at home waiting to be installed but with the summer coming i dont see me having any time to work on the car. Maybe ill have someone else to work on it a bit so its up for some top down driving.

m1tch

Cutting down the OEM shifter just makes it harder to shift, the shortshifter kit changes the pivot point to reduce the throw etc.

shnazzle

Quote from: m1tch on May  3, 2018, 12:42

Cutting down the OEM shifter just makes it harder to shift, the shortshifter kit changes the pivot point to reduce the throw etc.
Indeed. Hence I mentioned knocking the shaft down on the pivot ball
...neutiquam erro.

Nvy

Reading on the other sites i realized that the ebay specials are B&M knockoffs so it would be safe to get one for 30 pounds and testfit it. It will look a bit off but it should be fine.

shnazzle

Quote from: Nvy on May  3, 2018, 13:12
Reading on the other sites i realized that the ebay specials are B&M knockoffs so it would be safe to get one for 30 pounds and testfit it. It will look a bit off but it should be fine.
The ebay specials sit slightly tilted when in neutral. The stock shaft has a bend in it. The ebay one is straight
...neutiquam erro.

Nvy

Quote from: shnazzle on May  3, 2018, 13:56
Quote from: Nvy on May  3, 2018, 13:12
The ebay specials sit slightly tilted when in neutral. The stock shaft has a bend in it. The ebay one is straight

I dont mind really and i dont think i can miss shift once i get used to it.

Wullie

The kink keeps the ball on the shaft centred - I'd be 'aff ma nut' using the ebay one. I think I'd stick with the stock shaft and firm up the cage and linkage.

Just need a dry day, the new bushes and miraculously have found my O2 sensor socket (in a vase in the kitchen???) - those look a wee bit intrusive when meddling with the linkage bushes.

Tags: