Hass Stage II turbo is here!

Started by Slacey, February 22, 2005, 18:51

spit

Quote from: "Ekona"I have one huge apology to make: I totally forgot to thank Sean for telling me exactly what gap the plugs needed to be set to!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  So, thanks Sean!  s:D :D s:D
Just out of idle curiosity (  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ) what gap are you guys running? I've gone with NGK BKR6E - apparently they're gapped at 0.8 (or is it 0.9) as opposed to the stock plugs at 1.1
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

markiii

same plugs, but Sean reckoned 0.35

I can't remember what we set mine too.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

spit

Quote from: "markiii"same plugs, but Sean reckoned 0.35

Should that be 35 thousandths of an inch then (=0.9mm) ?

kanujunkie

glad you asked that Spit, got mine to do tomorrow and i was left wondering myself on that one
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

You want to leave the drip tray off to help with air flow. Water on the filter won't do any harm, heck, i've got water being sprayed into my engine for cooling.

I doubt it would be a resistance problem, when i set mine, before i soldered the connections i just twisted the wires together started the car and it ran, then soldered a permanent connection. Must of been just 1of those things you'll never find out what caused it.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Glad it's up and running, congrats.

Slacey

Quote from: "Ekona"I have one huge apology to make: I totally forgot to thank Sean for telling me exactly what gap the plugs needed to be set to!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  So, thanks Sean!  s:D :D s:D

Can't drive it today unfortunately, as it's been raining as as I've got the drip tray removed, a few spots of rain have hit the air filter and I don't want to risk starting it until I'm 100% sure it's dry. The tray is now back on though, so I guess I can wait until tomorrow.  s:( :( s:(

No worries mate  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

As for water on the filter, it shoul be fine as Ian pointed out (unless it's saturated) - now you know what that shield you picked up for me from Demon is for  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Slacey

Quote from: "spit"

Yes - that's what mine are set to, and what I set Mark's to as well. Bear in mind though that this is for turbo'd engines, stock requires a larger gap as per the handbook.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Slacey"
Quote from: "spit"

Yes - that's what mine are set to, and what I set Mark's to as well. Bear in mind though that this is for turbo'd engines, stock requires a larger gap as per the handbook.

I have a feeling that BenF is running 0.8mm with his PE kit btw, as per the Mk2 Turbo. I could be wrong, but I think that's right.

Still, at moderate boost levels that 0.1mm probably makes no difference at all.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"As for water on the filter, it shoul be fine as Ian pointed out (unless it's saturated) - now you know what that shield you picked up for me from Demon is for  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

See, if you'd told me that at the time I'd have got meself one!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   Got one on order now though, so should be here by the end of the week. The tray stays until then, just in case.

I've just had her out for the first time since Sunday, and I'm seriously impressed now. While I was a little disappointed after the first drive (not as much pull as I had expected, due to me having no idea what boost level I'm running and the stupidly heavy wheels), the extra power is really noticable now. I still don't think it's much above 180bhp though, but that can soon be changed.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Got a slight oil leak on the return from the turbo, but it's so tiny I can live with it for now. Just another job to sort out, along with a custom piece of pipe to replace the one Jay supplies for use between the air filter and intake on the turbo. All it needs is to be slightly longer and with a bit more of a kick to take it away from the shifter mechanism, there's loads of room to play with there anyway.

GSB

Quote from: "heathstimpson"I'm surprised that you were getting a resistance issue with bullet connectors as these are usually pretty good  s:? :? s:?

Not in my book they're not. Temperature fluctuations, humidity, mechanical stress, vibration... all can dramatically reduce the integrity of a crimped connection very quickly.  A car, where the above factors vary wildly, is just about the worst environment they can be used.

Personaly, I detest them. In the last couple of years I'd day I can lay the blame of about 25 middle of the night call outs and half a dozen full blown emergency shut downs of an entire power station fairly and squarley on the door step of crimped connectors.

As for the code needing the battery disconnecting. Many codes will reset the next time you start the car, as long as whatever fault caused it has been repaired. But, quite a large number of codes wont extinguish the CEL until you have completed a set number of trouble free journeys, or reset the ECU entirely. Its dependany upon just how serious the ECU considers the fault to be.

Good to hear you got it sorted in the end Dan, naturally I'll take you up on that drive offer sometime soon, although perhaps I'll wait until you've passed "boredom stage 1" and have upped the boost to maintain the interest!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

kanujunkie

i'll second what Grant says, bullet splices are just about as c**p as you can get and are the bain of a lot of problems, do it properly, i know that enviromentaly sealed butt splices are really hard to come by, especially for the tools required to install them but at least try to get some proper splices
[size=100]Stu[/size]

LeeUK

So is this a harness Jay has made up or does it come with the E-manage?
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

Anonymous

The wiring loom came from Autosport in the US. Not sure if they're still doing them, last time I heard anything the guy was having difficulty sourcing the parts needed...

LeeUK

Jay got away lightly that time then.

Anyway when are you coming over to give me my 3rd hass demo?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Distractons are welcome, I've been looking at the C2 website so often now I can resight half the website back!  I can only take so much college homework!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

markiii

Quote from: "Ekona"
Quote from: "Slacey"As for water on the filter, it shoul be fine as Ian pointed out (unless it's saturated) - now you know what that shield you picked up for me from Demon is for  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

See, if you'd told me that at the time I'd have got meself one!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   Got one on order now though, so should be here by the end of the week. The tray stays until then, just in case.

I've just had her out for the first time since Sunday, and I'm seriously impressed now. While I was a little disappointed after the first drive (not as much pull as I had expected, due to me having no idea what boost level I'm running and the stupidly heavy wheels), the extra power is really noticable now. I still don't think it's much above 180bhp though, but that can soon be changed.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Got a slight oil leak on the return from the turbo, but it's so tiny I can live with it for now. Just another job to sort out, along with a custom piece of pipe to replace the one Jay supplies for use between the air filter and intake on the turbo. All it needs is to be slightly longer and with a bit more of a kick to take it away from the shifter mechanism, there's loads of room to play with there anyway.

when you get your custome pipe get one for me as well please.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Don't worry mate, I was gonna get a couple spare.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Sean and Tom, you guys want one too?

TommyD

That would be fab. Congrats on the install. Just catching up with all the news tonight.
[size=100]Sable MR2[/size], David\'s Bars, TTE Rear Sports Spoiler, TRD side skirts, TRD front cross brace, Lampka rear cross brace and under bracing, Whiteline swaybars, Whiteline spings, 2\'srus Drop links, RPS clutch

Slacey

Yes please Dan, my pipes like yours are on their way over so that would be handy!

Anonymous

Could someone please post a picture of the pipe when you get it? I'm fighting the same issue.

spit

Quote from: "Ekona"

Shield? What shield? Would I be interested in one of these?

Slacey

Quote from: "spit"Shield? What shield? Would I be interested in one of these?
It's just a universal filter shield, but should do the job - see HERE

spit

Quote from: "Slacey"
Quote from: "spit"Shield? What shield? Would I be interested in one of these?
It's just a universal filter shield, but should do the job - see HERE
Ahhhhhh! I thought it was a cunning alternative to the drip tray  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Dunno if I'll need that - or even have room for it - with the Apexi tucked between the O/S bumper and arch liner....

Anonymous

Right, just been out for a blast around the Essex countryside (but no speeding Officer  s:wink: :wink: s:wink: ), and have noticed something...

When in 2nd or 3rd, and at WOT from 2000rpm, the car seems to bog down for a second or two before accelerating forwards: The best way I can describe it is it's as if I took my foot off the pedal for a split second before re-planting it. The car seems to lose forward momentum for a second, and then carry on as normal. Anyone else found this, ot have any ideas as to what could be causing it? I've got no CEL and all connections seem to be nice and tight, so I'm a bit at a loss to explain it...  s:? :? s:?

Oh, and I must remember not to drive the car on Sundays anymore, as I think I gave two elderly ladies heart attacks when the exhaust decided to bang very loudly as I was passing them while they were out for a nice quiet walk!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

kanujunkie

is there a problem in the map?? incorrect figures at that point??
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

There shouldn't be as I'm using Sean's maps he got from Thor. At least, I think I am: without the Profec, there's no real way of knowing.

Tags: