chassis bracing

Started by muff, January 21, 2017, 14:27

muff

Just completed my k20/24 swap on my 1999 mrs, now that I have the ultimate power plant I need to decide what I'm going to do about bracing. I will be using the car on both street and track. My plan is to fit a full roll cage front and rear strut brace and some under bracing. What would ye recommend on brand / strength and where to source? I live in Southern Ireland.

John is200sport

Depends on budget of course. Top would probably be corky stuff from USA mixed with TRD strut braces.

I rate my matt brace (used as no longer produced so check sale ads) and ultra racing things from ebay

John is200sport

Check out  w www.corkyandcompany.net w

muff

Yes TRD strut brace for sure, not sure what to think of the corky stuff, it looks like it's well designed but would it have the strength for my setup as it's all alluminium? My motor is a fully built non aspirated honda k20/k24 approx 320bhp.

John is200sport

I've no idea but the lad who advised me on this had a turbo with 225bhp. Granted it's not as high as yours but he seemed happy enough with the corky stuff.

I'm not that technical minded but I'm guessing the bracing would be able to handle your power. I think the strength would come from the design rather than the material and how the load and stress goes through the car.

ChrisGB

I use the corky bracing with a bit more power and torque than that, it works well. The full cage should render bolt on bracing redundant.
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

MilesH

If you are fitting a full cage you may want to wait and see how it drives before you buy everything. My last mk3 had a full 6 point cage, front and rear upper and lower braces, a middle brace and adjustable arb's front and rear. It ended up being far to stiff on and track and in order to get the set up and car characteristics I wanted on track I ended up removing the rear lower brace, the front lower brace, and also found that the cage meant that the middle brace had no effect whether it was on or off.

secla

I was going to say, a full cage will pretty much make racing redundant

Tags: