'01 Silver - The daily commute smile machine! (Turbo build)

Started by jvanzyl, August 10, 2016, 15:05

Ardent

Shirley must be able to hook up to a gas analyser outside of a mot to see what's what.

jvanzyl

Quote from: Ardent on June  4, 2024, 22:14Shirley must be able to hook up to a gas analyser outside of a mot to see what's what.

Hmm.. don't know.. I might try tomorrow if I can get the actuator done quickly.

jvanzyl

Took off actuator and very lightly welded the arm/eyelet/locking nut together. Should hopefully be good and I hope it doesn't result in a 10psi increase in the pressure needed to open like it did with the other one..

Next up is charge coolant piping.. ergh...

jvanzyl

Right, added in the 90 degree bends and bled the coolant! Wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

So now that leaves putting the under trays on, emptying out the stuff from the cabin and giving it a clean.

Joesson

@jvanzyl said:

Wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

As is sometimes said - Practice makes perfect.

thetyrant

Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

jvanzyl

Quote from: thetyrant on June 17, 2024, 16:19Did you get MOT ok ?

nope... CO emissions too high..
option are:
try and retune the idle and high idle to be more efficient
wrap the exhaust so the 200 cell cat works better
redesign the exhaust to some how have two 200 cells in series
Install more modern injectors that possibly help with the tune..

Currently the test ECU I had is on it's way back to RRR to have the remote logging dodad added to it and have the additional features that will ensure the coolant temp and battery charging light and handbrake light are corrected...

So I need to order some exhaust wrap and a new front hub as one of mine has some play in it..

Carolyn

The 200 cell cat we included in the exhaust for the supercharged car struggled on CO emissions, and it was wrapped (heavily).

I came to the conclusion that 200 cell cats just aren't up to the job.

Two in series, though should be fine, I reckon.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

thetyrant

Thats a shame but i did think it might struggle :( , do you have the emissions readings from MOT test so we can get better idea on how far out it was ?  some of it can no doubt be improved with more mapping but should be no need to change injectors its all down to the mapping, RRR are not known for the road friendly maps which doesnt help, all depends how far out you were hence wondering that numbers were.

Having 2 x 200c cats might help but its getting them both hot enough i think will be problem, in in series 1 will take all the heat and slow the other from heating up unless you put them in parallel but even so its a lot to heat up, i would just get a high quality cat do it right way, or if there is a way to fabricate in a OEM cat do that even if just for test,  all well and good having free flow system but if you cant get a test its not much use.

Hope you get it sorted.

Call the midlife!

400/600 cell cat made into an "MOT" pipe that you can change out for the 200 cell purely for the MOT. Might need a slightly different map for the purpose but shouldn't be much work and you only need to do it once a year.
Initial outlay should pay for itself over time.
60% of the time it works everytime...

thetyrant

Tags: