Engine Removal

Started by chrisdudeperson, May 3, 2016, 01:24

chrisdudeperson

Hi guys,

I've owned my MR2 for a year and a bit now and am starting to consider a 2ZZ swap and the logistics of how to do it. One question that came to mind was how to physically remove the engine from the car once everything has been disconnected. From what I've seen through some googling, the engine drops out the bottom of the car. Is that correct? If so, as someone who would be attempting this swap in my garage, what would be the best way of dropping the engine (assuming I don't have a car lift handy in my garage!)

Also, sourcing a 2ZZ and the appropriate parts.... I have found this kit on eBay ( m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-2ZZ-GE ... XQgbFRjAEb m ) which comes with all the bits needed and a gearbox for £1350 + delivery. Is this considered to be a good deal, or should I start looking for a donor car?

Thanks,
Chris

JoeCool

You can drop the engine and subframe onto a pallet/dolly, then lift the rear of the car using an engine hoist. I'd want a bit of room to manouver, so a tall wide garage. Would be miserable in a tiny domestic garage.

Re the best 'options', that's really down to you. I suggest working out a very careful list of what you need (it gets confusing!) and working out what you get in a donor car vs what you get in a package. The donor car WILL be cheaper. The package MIGHT be easier.

Personally, I bought a cosmetically tatty but mechanically decent Corolla T-sport, and ran around in it for 3 months to check it all worked. Sure, my engine has 100k miles on it, but then what are the 'guarantees' when your engine arrives on a pallet anyway? Then I dumped another grand into parts from MWR in the US....

Do your research. Work out where you want to end up, then work out the best way there. Chopping and changing gets expensive. Things like the diff swap can be done for 'free' if you know what you're doing, but they're a bit tricky to get right.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

Tags: