Top Speed CHE Downpipe with hi-flow cat clean/care

Started by nahk54321, April 28, 2016, 18:19

nahk54321

Hello!

Quick question. Any help would be hugely appreciated. If anyone finds the question silly, I apologies in advance. Tried to look for answers on this forum but so much info everywhere I just got confused.
(Took me long enough trying to find how/where to raise this question!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  )

The Question:

I have viewed notes & videos about gutting out the catlyst converter. Also a picture of all the horrible yellow stuff/gunk which accumulates after time.

Now... I have a Top Speed CHE Downpipe with hi-flow cat. I have never gutted mine out & dread to think of how much off that cr*p is stuck in there. I have have it on for a few years too.

This has all come about because my Engine management light come on. (Code P0420) ''Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1'' It came on when I change all 3 of my o2 sensors (All brand new)  Also changed spark plugs, Cleaned MAF sensor with carb cleaner, Topped up coolant with the recommended stuff.

Does anyone think I'm on the right track with the issue? Anyone ever gutted out a Top Speed CHE Downpipe with hi-flow cat?

Is my only option is to buy that bottle of catalyst cleaner? If so which brand?

Worst case scenario if I need to replace it how much do you think it would be or is it even possible to replace?   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

Anyone local, I'm based in Leicester (Woop Woop!)

shnazzle

Hi there
I think you're slightly confused or misinformed. If you have a Che header and a sports cat, then you do not have pre-cats at all. The pre-cats sit inside the the stock manifold,which you have replaced with a Che.

P0420 is most likely the catalytic converter. Coincidentally I just had the same, after I switched the o2 sensor in the cat.
Basically it means that your post-cat o2 sensor is reading the same level of oxygen as before the cat,which means your cat is doing nothing or very little.

We had a new 200 cell sports cat welded in for 180 quid. Fitted, you're looked around 220-250. So it's not horrendous.
...neutiquam erro.

nahk54321

Hi!

It's turned off now!  

I put the old o2 sensor back and disconnected the battery for 7mins.
Drove around... Stop and started the car plenty of times and its still off.

On the old sensor it has some sort of silver round thing spliced into it.
I know now its definately that, wich is keeping the management loght off.

If anyone wants a pic I can upload one. (If you can say how to as I cant see an upload button)

It just making me think should the cat converter still be changed? Hmmm...

shnazzle

The silver thing spliced into it is most likely a hack to stop it throwing an error for faulty heater circuit. It needs replacing, and it most likely isn't functioning well causing incorrect o2 readings.
...neutiquam erro.

nahk54321

Right, I'll get it changed. Thank you for your help.

So do you also have a Top Speed CHE Downpipe with hi-flow cat? if so, where did you get it from & which size?

(I have read about some cheap ones blowing off!)   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

shnazzle

I do not. On my car it's just a standard manifold with the pre-cats hacked out and TTE back box.
I don't really know anything about the Che other than that they do indeed crack
...neutiquam erro.

nahk54321

I'll measure them up and post back later. Sure someone in future will need them and would find it useful.

Mark A

Plug in an ODB reader and you should see the voltage difference between pre & post lamdba sensors. My experience of the CHE sports cat is they are poor, have a look in one of my threads, mine was very restrictive at the flexi pipe and was marginal for the emissions test despite wrapping the exhaust and cat,  thrashing it and taking it straight for the MOT.
I replaced mine with a Profusion weld-in CAT.

Tags: