Performance Panel Filter

Started by CrazySX, April 28, 2016, 15:03

CrazySX

Has anyone used one? did it make much difference? which one is best to go for? I have seen they are around £40-45 quid, how long do they last?

ChrisGB

The Dyno proves the stock panel is not restricting engine power on a breathing modified MR2, it is the same filter used on the more powerful Celia with 2zz engine. So no benefit in performance to be had from a panel filter.
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

shnazzle

Quote from: "ChrisGB"The Dyno proves the stock panel is not restricting engine power on a breathing modified MR2, it is the same filter used on the more powerful Celia with 2zz engine. So no benefit in performance to be had from a panel filter.

+1

Unless you're running a piggyback or standalone...don't waste your cash, save your engine.
Stock paper filter = most filtration and plenty of flow.
...neutiquam erro.

CrazySX

thanks for the quick replies both  s:) :) s:)

The reason i was thinking about it is because i am now running the MAF mod, and the car runs rich at idle, i was thinking of ways to get more air to the engine to mix with the extra fuel.

ChrisGB

Even with ECU mods, you are never going to reach the capacity of the stock filter. With a 1.93L conversation and stage 3 cams, you might just run into its limitations, but there will be other limiting factors coming in before that.

At low engine speeds, the filter provides zero restriction, so won't help you.
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

shnazzle

Quote from: "ChrisGB"Even with ECU mods, you are never going to reach the capacity of the stock filter. With a 1.93L conversation and stage 3 cams, you might just run into its limitations, but there will be other limiting factors coming in before that.

hmm...I have to disagree. My car 100% definitely runs better since putting in the panel and markiii pipe. Not even a single doubt. Not even in "seat-of-pants-dyno" but even just idling and very low load.
Unless the filter I had in before was absolutely crap...a possibility. Although I think it was a Toyota stock filter.
...neutiquam erro.

CrazySX

whats the difference between having a markiii pipe and sticking in a 45 degree stainless elbow between the two holes?  i think i am going to try it.  I have a 45 degree elbow 2.5" i believe sitting around dong naff all.

ChrisGB

Quote from: "shnazzle"
Quote from: "ChrisGB"Even with ECU mods, you are never going to reach the capacity of the stock filter. With a 1.93L conversation and stage 3 cams, you might just run into its limitations, but there will be other limiting factors coming in before that.

hmm...I have to disagree. My car 100% definitely runs better since putting in the panel and markiii pipe. Not even a single doubt. Not even in "seat-of-pants-dyno" but even just idling and very low load.
Unless the filter I had in before was absolutely crap...a possibility. Although I think it was a Toyota stock filter.

Could be the Markiii pipe I guess. We tested the filter on the Dyno and found no benefit. If its not restricting flow at full load, it is unlikely to restrict at idle either.

If it's idling rich, something is amiss.

I ran a length of flexible hose between air feed in the inner wing and the airbox. Seemed to run better, particularly at the top end, but I had a PPE manifold and cat with piggyback too.

shnazzle

I think Dynos serve a purpose but they say absolutely bog all about how the car runs and drives off full load.
Something was definitely amiss prior to adding the panel and pipe...the map did not match the car  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

CrazySX

cool, i will add the elbow and see if it makes a difference to intake temps and my LTFT.

FYI Patrick, my stock temps have gone up to 39C in the past, so not far off the HKS.  I was surprised to see that!

Jock

I don't think a 45 degree rigid will join.  ChrisGB type flexi works as it removes the restriction and doesn't need a bracket for support   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  .

CrazySX

Quote from: "Jock"I don't think a 45 degree rigid will join.  ChrisGB type flexi works as it removes the restriction and doesn't need a bracket for support   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  .

i had a quick search but can't see any pics of his flexi, is it the normal aluminum type?

The 45 i have is a bit short but i have silicon tubes either side, will see if i can make it fit lol!

Jock

ChrisGB is a forum mod (see above).  Maybe you should be rude to elicit a response   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
As they say I have not seen his, but I did a mock-up trial before my mod and it works fine.  I think the markiii is overengineered   s:? :? s:?
For me the less joins the better, but interested to see how you do   s8) 8) s8)  .

ChrisGB

Quote from: "CrazySX"
Quote from: "Jock"I don't think a 45 degree rigid will join.  ChrisGB type flexi works as it removes the restriction and doesn't need a bracket for support   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  .

i had a quick search but can't see any pics of his flexi, is it the normal aluminum type?

The 45 i have is a bit short but i have silicon tubes either side, will see if i can make it fit lol!

It was years ago, lots has gone on in the engine bay since  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   I used a length of high temperature rubberised fabric spiral wire tube. Just had a search, feck me, it was nearly 10 years ago   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Anyhow:

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13277

It's a pikey mod, but it worked OK. Problem is, one mod leads to another....

Jock

Not the oldest resurrection but a good one not to be lost ChrisGB   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  .  I looked longer than your initially claimed 12 months but did not find your link above.  Glad you rattled some bones at that time   s:) :) s:)  .
As for fracking and pikeys - not a lot wrong with that   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  .
So what have you done in the last 9 years and 6 months   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  .

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Jock"Not the oldest resurrection but a good one not to be lost ChrisGB   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  .  I looked longer than your initially claimed 12 months but did not find your link above.  Glad you rattled some bones at that time   s:) :) s:)  .
So what have you done in the last 9 years and 6 months   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  .

Spent a shed load of cash on mods! Went from a bit of tube, to some more tube, exhaust manifold, exhaust system, brake upgrades, coilovers, bracing, turbo, removed turbo, added more cylinders and so on.

CrazySX

Quote from: "ChrisGB"
Quote from: "Jock"Not the oldest resurrection but a good one not to be lost ChrisGB   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  .  I looked longer than your initially claimed 12 months but did not find your link above.  Glad you rattled some bones at that time   s:) :) s:)  .

Spent a shed load of cash on mods! Went from a bit of tube, to some more tube, exhaust manifold, exhaust system, brake upgrades, coilovers, bracing, turbo, removed turbo, added more cylinders and so on.
Have u got a thread detailing all this? I skimmed through your build thread but didn't see a turbo. Maybe I need to look more carefully, as my focus was the induction pipe at the time lol!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

CrazySX

It was years ago, lots has gone on in the engine bay since  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   I used a length of high temperature rubberised fabric spiral wire tube. Just had a search, feck me, it was nearly 10 years ago   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Anyhow:

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13277

It's a pikey mod, but it worked OK. Problem is, one mod leads to another....
This looks really good. More importantly that would work really well too as the wall of the pipe would be thinner than metal allowing a bigger ID volume  s;) ;) s;)

Also the fact it is light so needs no bracing so to speak.

I will have a mess about with my 45 degree stainless and if no joy will be doing as you did. It's only a temporary measure until I go turbo. When I do turbo the car the whole configuration will change.

ChrisGB

Have u got a thread detailing all this? I skimmed through your build thread but didn't see a turbo. Maybe I need to look more carefully, as my focus was the induction pipe at the time lol!

Check out the link in my signature.

Tags: