fiberglass bonnet

Started by mrtecone1, April 11, 2016, 19:57

mrtecone1

Hi all I am still after a light weight fiberglass bonnet if anyone knows of any.
Thank you.

Mark A

Only in the US an in CF not VFM in my eyes as its only a couple of kilos saved.

I sent my 22b replica bumper to Scotland and a friend had 10 copies had for about £200-250 each, I can dig out the details of the company if you want to make inquires.

BW Mark

mr-ed_smt

Nigel (affiliate) was going to produce some lightweight fibreglass ones, but there wasn't enough interest.
[size=85]The never ending project - cherished daily driver, to fully-caged track toy![/size]

Mark A

Worth testing the water again? Seems to be more tracked focused cars around or being developed than 6 months ago

mr-ed_smt

Quite possibly. I can't find the original thread (I think it was in the Marketplace section, so has since been deleted). From memory, Nigel needed a minimum number to cover the cot of the mould. I'd definitely be up for it if the cost was reasonable - I'm sure there would be some guys that aren't on MR2ROC that would buy in, to get numbers up.
[size=85]The never ending project - cherished daily driver, to fully-caged track toy![/size]

Mark A

Always do it yourself have a look through this thread  l viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28937&hilit=hayabusa+powered l

mrtecone1

Best see how many would be interested and go from there.
Thanks for the reply's.

hamspeed

Why not cut some of the webbing out to shave a little weight (assuming that you are going to be using exterior pins of course...) - Cost £0.00!
02' Toyota MR2 Roadster Race Car -
Owner @ GarageFiftyNine - Supplier of Automotive parts and accessories | Stainless Steel Manifolds | LED/DRL Fo

Tomo70

Check out MR2 roadster Facebook page, carbon fibre one on there going for £200 down near Reading by the looks of it.
🚘Just a pass time to break the monotony

Mark A

Noticed on that same facebook thread a company called Top Tuned they have a picture of a fibre glass engine cover.

MilesH

I was quite surprised how light I could get the existing bonnet by cutting it down to single skin and removing the catches/hinges etc and mounting with bonnet pins. Once weighed against a similar sized fibreglass bonnet (off a Fiesta I think) there was a negligible amount in it.

(Same for the rear  s:) :) s:)  )

mr-ed_smt

That carbon one on FB was a steal - gutted I missed it. I've cut the entire support frame and latch out of mine (just hinges remain) - I'll try and weigh it at some point.

mrtecone1

I think that will be this weekends task, rip the bonnet and engine cover to bits leaving the bare amount, as posted the cost is £0 I like that !!

lukeydoo

Quote from: "mr-ed_smt"That carbon one on FB was a steal - gutted I missed it. I've cut the entire support frame and latch out of mine (just hinges remain) - I'll try and weigh it at some point.

I did that on my first one but I found the metal bent before the hinge opened the lid! Just hole sawed my second attempt and removed non-essential webbing.

secla

Quote from: "mr-ed_smt"That carbon one on FB was a steal - gutted I missed it. I've cut the entire support frame and latch out of mine (just hinges remain) - I'll try and weigh it at some point.

It was  s:) :) s:)

i dont think theres a great deal of weight saving though, the oem bonnet really isnt that heavy

Tags: