O2 sensors cable splinter

Started by Mark A, March 20, 2016, 09:40

Mark A

Is it possible to buy a cable which converts one O2 sensor into two? I don't see the point in having two O2 sensors in the turbo downpour.

Mark

StuC

The wires, from memory, are hardwired into the sensor itself. I'd say it would be possible to split the feeds from one and breakout to where the other O2 wiring is.
I think the more important question is what benefit would this give you?
You'd have to plug a hole and would you not upset the fuel trims for each bank?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

spit

Quote from: "StuC"I think the more important question is what benefit would this give you?

If the existing ECU is being piggy-backed it can be essential to prevent the OEM ECU from adversely trimming what it thinks are two separate banks when in fact its reading the sum of both. No biggie if your sensors are a 100% bang-on match all day every day, but if they're not (and they won't be) it can lead to stumbles at best and meltdown at worst.

Stu is correct - its readily doable. In the early days of installs we joined signal wires in the engine bay, but its neater at the ECU and neater still on a 'slang harness. Earths are already common so can be ignored. That just leaves the need to keep something on the redundant heater circuit. Suitable resistor mounted somewhere in the engine bay seems to work. Some lazy non-aesthetic articles just keep a spare O2 plugged in and dangling   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

[Mod] moved to Perf forum
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

maybeturbo

Remember not to solder 02 sensor wires, only ever crimp. 02's get reference air through the wiring and the spread of solder/fluxes buggers that up.

Tags: