Pre roadtrip prep?

Started by Emsle1d, March 7, 2016, 18:59

Emsle1d

I'm going on a road trip road the Alps.
Circumstances mean I won't get another chance for a good couple years.

MR2 is stock and has done 80k. Looking to do anything small to improve performance and driveability.
Budget is £300 or so + a good service.
Starting with front tyres - inherited budget tyres from the seller. Going to match them with my continental contact2s on the back.
Changing spark plugs and air filter and maybe looking at some sort of underbody brace.
Anything else I can do cheaply? Anything I can clean engine wise that'll make a difference?

Cheers

Eastsoutheast

I maybe wrongly assuming it's not been serviced for a while (reference to changing plugs and air filter). Fresh oil, brake fluid change (imagine brakes will get plenty of workouts on those amazing mountain roads), coolant change, check brake pads and the rest on fuel.

Enjoy your fantastic trip.

Topdownman

You have highlighted tyres which would be my first thought too. A Matts brace is a good upgrade but otherwise just making sure all is good with the car would be best.

I would want to make sure everything is done well in advance of your trip so you have time for any issues to surface though.

Have you got a code reader or phone app/dongle? If for example you get a sensor code while you are away it is not much of a problem so can keep driving until you get back, you might not want to do that with some other fault codes though? Might save a bit of worry if you can tell what the fault is.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

CrazySX

Does it burn any oil? Take a spare gallon of oil, or at least a top up  s;) ;) s;)

Emsle1d

It hasn't been serviced for the 10 months I've had  but I've only done around 8k in that time including a trip to Lake Como and back.
Will have the pads checked but will also change the fluid - sorry I'm not the most mechanically minded so all advice/suggestions appreciated.
Any suggestions of something similar to a Matts brace? All sold by the looks oh his thread.

Planned the trip for July so plenty of time.

Silly question - where would I plug my phone to check for codes?

Emsle1d

It's pretty good on oil but will take some. I'll find room....somewhere

Topdownman

Something like this;

m http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00S49USQK/r ... 9CG9&psc=1 m

it plugs in under the steering column into the obd port. You then need an app like Torque for android for it to link to (there is something similar for apple) but I dont have any experience of these myself yet, I have the old fashioned obd scanner.

I would express your interest on Matts thread if you want one as when there is enough interest he may order another batch.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Tomo70

Definitely check radiator they can be bought and easily changed roughly £50. Auxiliary belt, if it's not been changed in last 20k I would also change that during servicing.

Brake checks. Balanced wheels and geometry check etc are more important than spending £100 on a brace.

Done 2 Alps road trips now so far without problems. I never had same tyres all round but did have same tyres on each axle and good quality tyres. Michelin pilot Sport on rear and potenza on front.

Get some good brake down cover !

By the looks of it, the fact you have been to lake Como so you know most of the pit falls. Where you planning going on your next trip. We will be in Austria in July.
🚘Just a pass time to break the monotony

Ardent

Quote from: "Tomo70"Brake checks. Balanced wheels and geometry check etc are more important than spending £100 on a brace.

+1 to that

JoeCool

I'd do:

Full service: Oil, Oil filter, Air Filter, Spark plugs.
Brake Service: New pads, Flush fluid, grease handbrake cables.
Replace the front tyres.
Geometry check.
Check condition of coolant system.
Give it a good wash.

To be honest, that's probably your £300 gone if you're not doing the work yourself! It should be fine after that.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

Tags: