Fitting coilovers..........will I need to do any other mods?

Started by HFB, February 11, 2016, 12:24

HFB

Just had a nice, interesting read of tommyzoom99's thread on his trackcar build.   s:) :) s:)  

Had a little panic moment when he needed to roll his arches to fit his mod's wheels and Tien springs as they were rubbing.

I've put my name down for some new coilovers in the group buy to improve handling........just a little concerned now as to whether they will make the car sit too low and require additional mods to bodywork.   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Is this something I need to be concerned about or is it because tommy had different wheels as well?

HFB
2000 Roadster
Silver (Blue go faster stripe)
2ZZ, Miester Zeta CRD+ Coilovers, Megillian Custom Exhaust & Underbody Brace and 1/2 cage (and working soft top), Patrick Chambers Enclosed air intake and oil cooler, badly re-furbed alloys :D

JoeCool

They're ride heigh adjustable so you can set them where you want in terms of looks, handling and wheel/arch interface.

I've have a brief ride in a car with Meister R's and no other mods and it all worked very nicely.

The main thing to watch is your wheel offsets and rim width. You have to do a bit of maths and diagram drawing to ensure that things are still where they should be.

but no, if you buy the Coilovers, the most you absolutely need is new Drop links because you'll probably have to cut the old ones to get them off. Things like rebushed arms and new track rod ends/ball joints might be nice because you will be stiffening everyhting up and any slop might be more noticeable, but in terms of getting them fitted and working you're pretty much golden.

Just wish I could afford to get in on that Group Buy now. They're on my to-buy list but I simply can't spend the money until later in the year sadly.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

hachiroku

Hi mate,

I co-own/build the car with 'zoom. You should be fine if you're sticking with standard size wheels, we only have clearance issues due to the extra width and offset of our alloys (our rears stick out around 50mm more than standard to give you some idea)

This is compounded by the fact that we're running standard shocks with tein springs, we'll be getting coilovers ourselves at some point, and I'd expect this will improve things as the suspension travel will be greatly reduced.

Hope this helps.

Paul1087

Quote from: "JoeCool"They're ride heigh adjustable so you can set them where you want in terms of looks, handling and wheel/arch interface.

I've have a brief ride in a car with Meister R's and no other mods and it all worked very nicely.

The main thing to watch is your wheel offsets and rim width. You have to do a bit of maths and diagram drawing to ensure that things are still where they should be.

but no, if you buy the Coilovers, the most you absolutely need is new Drop links because you'll probably have to cut the old ones to get them off. Things like rebushed arms and new track rod ends/ball joints might be nice because you will be stiffening everyhting up and any slop might be more noticeable, but in terms of getting them fitted and working you're pretty much golden.

Just wish I could afford to get in on that Group Buy now. They're on my to-buy list but I simply can't spend the money until later in the year sadly.

Joe - on another forum Meister R are offering interest free credit to those on a group buy, but lesser discount ... At the moment if we get to 10 names we will get 20% discount if we pay in one go. They might consider offering the same deal as per the other forum which is 10 names - 10% discount and interest free credit to those who would prefer it. So we would all have a choice, might also help us get some more names on the list   s:D :D s:D

JoeCool

I would love to help out but I'm looking at End of summer at my earliest.

If Coilovers arrive before then, I won't enjoy them, because I find it hard to enjoy things that I've had to have surgically removed from my posterior after forcible insertion by she who must be obeyed.  s:( :( s:(
2ZZ '02 Roadster

shnazzle

Quote from: "JoeCool"I would love to help out but I'm looking at End of summer at my earliest.

If Coilovers arrive before then, I won't enjoy them, because I find it hard to enjoy things that I've had to have surgically removed from my posterior after forcible insertion by she who must be obeyed.  s:( :( s:(
^^^
  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Fear not. It's a simple operation and coilovers are really no different in theory from your stock setup. In fact, you have coilovers  s:) :) s:)  Coils...over dampers... the only difference is that the MeisterRs are adjustable and tuned for sport.
So, as said before, you can lower/raise them pretty much to your heart's content, within limits.
My ride height is not far off stock on BC coilovers. I could go lower, and it'd look a tiny bit better, but I'd not get over anything.

Only the rear droplinks require replacing, unless you're damn lucky/skilled. You don't need to touch the fronts at all.
...neutiquam erro.

Jrichards20

Quote from: "shnazzle"Only the rear droplinks require replacing, unless you're damn lucky/skilled. You don't need to touch the fronts at all.

Its not even worth trying.

Just angle grind it straight off and replace with some shiny new ones, at the price they are, its a no brainer changing them for new ones.

In my opinion, I would replace the rear arb at the same time. This way, literally its the easiest job in the world.

Angle Grind drop links, suspension drops out, rear arb drops out.
Fit new suspension with droplinks already attached while their off the car, fit near arb and connect droplinks to new arb so there is no worrying about rusty stuff.

If you don't replace the rear arb, you still have to remove the droplinks from the arb, which isn't hard, just I preferred to change the whole lot out  s:) :) s:)
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

shnazzle

You're right actually, for the price of them, might as well change them even if you can get the old ones off.
I was actually quite pleased wit hthe state of my ARB. But yeah it's definitely one of those cases of "while you're in there, might as well" if you want to spend the extra 100+ quid on a new ARB
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: