How to fit Matt Brace - torque settings?

Started by jvanzyl, January 26, 2016, 16:02

jvanzyl

Hi All,
So my Matt Brace is now sitting behind my seats (it is infact possible to get it in there with a hardtop on!) - however I'd prefer if it were fitted to the bottom of my car..

Questions:
 - Can anyone tell me what the torque settings should be when fitting?
 - And I'm assuming that I'm going to find a bunch of nuts and bolts already there that I can simply use to attach it?
 - Is there only 1 way that it will go on? or is there a specific way to attach it?

Many thanks for the help!

Cheers,
John

Topdownman

Matt fitted mine for me but he does recommend always using some heat first on the rear two bolts to prevent them shearing off and then needing drilling out.

He obviously has done this many times but only took him 10 minutes to fit.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

winger

Hi John,
Did you manage to get your brace fitted without problems ?Have got one to fit shortly.
Regards  Neil

Ardent

There are no specific torque settings.

The trick will be to note the torque required to undo the existing bolts and use that as a guide.

jvanzyl

Hi Neil,
Got the brace fitted- and loving the difference it makes.
I actually took it to my local garage as time is not really available to me these days.

Only one of the 6 bolts sheared, took them about 30-40 mins to fit. But they showed me how they actually used some metal washers to make up the gap between the brace and the body in one or two areas so that it would fit tightly.

Hope that helps?
Cheers,
John

winger

Hi John,
Thanks for the update,I will make some packing plates up in case they are required,
Regards   Neil

Ardent

Just goes to show. Got mine fitted yedterday. Snug fit. Had to use abknocking stick to help.
makes you wondervwhere the vsriation comes from

jvanzyl

I guess the simple answer is that the braces are hand made and that our cars may also have a bit of uniqueness too them! Personally I think mines cleverer than other 2's out there, must have been his good breeding..

winger

Just had mine fitted today by Steve at D1 Customs.Just had to elongate one hole slightly,he also fitted slightly longer bolts to two of the rear ones as he felt that with the brace fitted there was not alot of thread left in the chassis.He also checked a few other things for me while I was there.Really nice chap and good at what he does.On the plus side,since having the brace fitted the annoying noise from the left side of the dash has disappeared.
Regards   Neil

Steve@D1Customs

Quote from: "jvanzyl"I guess the simple answer is that the braces are hand made and that our cars may also have a bit of uniqueness too them! Personally I think mines cleverer than other 2's out there, must have been his good breeding..

PFL DNA Vs. FL DNA   s:D :D s:D  

Quote from: "winger"Just had mine fitted today by Steve at D1 Customs.Just had to elongate one hole slightly,he also fitted slightly longer bolts to two of the rear ones as he felt that with the brace fitted there was not alot of thread left in the chassis.He also checked a few other things for me while I was there.Really nice chap and good at what he does.On the plus side,since having the brace fitted the annoying noise from the left side of the dash has disappeared.<br abp="636">Regards   Neil

Glad to hear it Neil  s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:   to the annoying dash noise   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

Tags: