De-powering The Rack

Started by lukeydoo, December 29, 2015, 18:50

lukeydoo

I read some of the threads on the internet about de-powering the rack but there were some negative comments from some who have done it. I just want to see if, in the intervening years, opinions have changed. So, those who have de-powered their racks (not looped etc), what are your comments on it?

Joesson

I believe Matt has de powered the steering on his track beast.
But I understand that this is not suitable to meet MOT regulations for a roadcar.
Of course others will be along who maybe able topoin you to relevant threads.

cabbydave

I wonder if the yaris rack would fit on a roadster you might have to change to track ends but might be worth a look as some early ones didnt have power steering

lamcote

If you remove the power steering the car should be failed at MOT because the MR2 was never sold without power steering being fitted therefore the tester should know it has been removed and fail it.

Someone has apparently hacked the system to allow the amount of power assistance to be varied but I don't know how this was achieved.
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

Jrichards20

Quote from: "lamcote"If you remove the power steering the car should be failed at MOT because the MR2 was never sold without power steering being fitted therefore the tester should know it has been removed and fail it.

Not necessarily.

VOSA wording.
"Where a car has been extensively modified or converted, certain Reasons for Rejection such as 'components missing where fitted as standard' should not be applied, for example: a brake servo, power steering or airbags.
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

theredone

Quote from: "cabbydave"I wonder if the yaris rack would fit on a roadster you might have to change to track ends but might be worth a look as some early ones didnt have power steering

I don`t think so. the racks on my 04 yaris and 54 mr2 are different.

Tags: