888s vs AD08R

Started by pmr01, December 27, 2015, 22:00

pmr01

on an MR2 roadster....anyone made this move?

have had semi-slick tyres on my car for some time now and the 888s are needing changed. I wonder if I am going to notice the difference in terms of response, dry grip etc

(gets the tin hat on here) I put the 888s on after having Kumho V70a and the lack of grip on the 888s was noticeable  :-) :-) :-)  - to be fair, the V70s only managed 3000 miles before being done!!! The dry road grip was eye-popping. My point is it is kinda annoying to go backwards but I am not keen on spending £550 for 888s and I can get AD08Rs for £350 fitted

The car has BC Coilovers and an SP 240 kit.

Jrichards20

Yes I have just put on some AD08rs from 888s. Totally different tyre. Ones a semi slick, ones a road tyre. Both offer insane amount of grip. But for different circumstances.

If your just going on the road, AD08rs will be fine with a turbo and coilovers. The heat up quicker and last longer with less road noise.

While obviously on a track, the 888s will show a huge difference once up to temperature.

As a shameless plug, I have some 205s 15" ad08rs that I have in the for sale section of you want two cheap ones. Brand new in packaging.

l viewtopic.php?f=37&t=57181 l
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

stupink

If price is a concern I don't think you'll have a problem with the AD08R unless you do hard track driving frequently. I have no issues with mine on the road in the dry, in the wet I found them not quite enough but have 300hp and I don't think 888 would have been any good either though I've not tried them on this car. on a damp track day they held up well also. its not just £350 v's £550 because they will WAY outlast R888 dropping the price even lower per mile. now I've got my traction control installed the AD08R will throw you back in the seat on a twisty even in the wet, theres a LOT of grip there, I think with ~240hp you'd be laughing  s:) :) s:)
2001 1ZZ turbo. 293hp home build all the way

pmr01

Hi both, many thanks for the responses...decision made. appreciate the offer jrichards...i am probably going to go for the 195/50 15 and 225/45 16 combo Blackcircles are doing a pretty good deal just now.

topsyde

Hi there you will get them for under £300 on tyre leaders this now AD08R's in these sizes!

HFB

I am getting closer to deciding on which new tyres to replace the Yokahama CDrive/SDrive front/rears currently on the car.

Am doing mediocre 1.07 ish laps of Brands Indy on my second outing there.

Only handling mod so far is MattBrace.
Engine is standard (except Markiii pipe just fitted - thanks Cabbydave)

The instructor was saying I should shave 2-3 seconds off a lap with grippy (he mentioned 888's) tyres.

Checking out the keenly priced Tyreleader site mentioned here and there doesn't appear to be a Toyo 185/55 size for the mR2?

So could I fit 195/55s on the front and 205/50 on the rear (1999 PFL) or will I need another set up????

I see they do AD08R's to fit standard wheels (and about £150 cheaper - which is nice).

I will be 80% using the car for TD's and only an occasional bimble in the summer on roads, so which would be a more practical choise of tyre?

I have one niggle in that if I fit the 888's (do I go for the 888's or the 888R'd), will I pretty much write off wet trackdays altogether as I read that the Toyo's are no good in the wet - a risky choice for UK trackdays.

Price is not my main issue (but is a background factor).

Handling (including wet) is main factor
Durability is second (don't want to keep changing tyres every 2-3 TD's - car does about 190 miles on a trackday)
Price third

HFB
2000 Roadster
Silver (Blue go faster stripe)
2ZZ, Miester Zeta CRD+ Coilovers, Megillian Custom Exhaust & Underbody Brace and 1/2 cage (and working soft top), Patrick Chambers Enclosed air intake and oil cooler, badly re-furbed alloys :D

Jrichards20

888s will be fine in wet trackdays. Its only standing water that they are pitiful in. You will still find stonking amounts of grip with them in the wet and rain. I think Meeeerrkkk ran federals for his last race in the wet and he came first, so if your thinking about handling in the wet as a main factor, I would have a look at those.

Remember to bump the pressures up a bit compared to your normal track days when in the wet. Also, if you get coilovers at some point, coming down a few clicks to a softer setting will help.
Street Triple 765 RS

HFB

Quote from: "Jrichards20"888s will be fine in wet trackdays. Its only standing water that they are pitiful in. You will still find stonking amounts of grip with them in the wet and rain. I think Meeeerrkkk ran federals for his last race in the wet and he came first, so if your thinking about handling in the wet as a main factor, I would have a look at those.

Remember to bump the pressures up a bit compared to your normal track days when in the wet. Also, if you get coilovers at some point, coming down a few clicks to a softer setting will help.

Thanks JR

Do you have an opinion on the durability of Toyo 888's?

Which Federal tyre are you talking about?
2000 Roadster
2ZZ, Miester Zeta CRD+ Coilovers, Megillian Custom Exhaust & Underbody Brace and 1/2 cage (and working soft top), Patrick Chambers Enclosed air intake and oil cooler, badly re-furbed alloys :D

Jrichards20

Maybe 5 or so with the 888s + a thousand miles. All depends on temperature, how long the sessions are, maybe a slight bit about how many heat cycles they have been put through, and ofcourse Geo set up.

I think it was the 595RSRs. From what I have heard they are better in the wet, as they heat up quicker, but this will then lead to wearing through them faster on dry track days and obviously not being as grippy in the dry as 888s. If your planning on doing a lot of trackdays, just get either one, you will be buying another set beginning of next year  s:) :) s:)  and then you can try different ones and see which ones you like.
Street Triple 765 RS

HFB

So would 195/50's on the 888's be ok for the OEM front wheels?

HFB
2000 Roadster

Jrichards20

Quote from: "HFB"So would 195/50's on the 888's be ok for the OEM front wheels?

HFB

Sure would be!
Street Triple 765 RS

HFB

So........have now got the AD08R's fitted and done a couple of TD's at Brands.

Also have the Meister group buy coilovers fitted and set up.

I know I now need to get as much practice driving in as possible to improve times, but if I were to swap out to Toyo 888R's what sort of time improvement (only an embarrassing 1.07 currently on the Indie circuit   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ) should I expect to see for my extra £200 a set?

HFB
2000 Roadster

Tags: