Better Brakes

Started by Jack116610, October 5, 2015, 21:10

Jack116610

Hi everyone! First post on here so I'll let you know where I'm at
03 silver mr2
Cobra quad exhauste system
Bc racing coilovers
Uprated induction kit (bought with the car apparently lotus?)

Im going for fast road possibly some track use in the future and I was wondering what people would advise for brake upgrades? Currently all standard with the standard wheels, although I want to upgrade to 16's all round, any advice would be great thanks!

Alex Knight

OEM discs and Yellowstuff pass work well for me, and others on here.

Anonymous

Yep, and also I found braided hoses added a nice firm feel to the pedal

jonty

+1 for yellow stuff and plain discs, mine is great on the brakes without braided hoses, but they can't hurt either! With a standard engine you really don't need more brakes, you can have it stood on its nose right on the edge of grip without hitting the abs for lap after lap... The brakes are one of the best things on these cars.

Stifler

I always used standard discs and pads on track with no issues and had great stopping power.  I did have braided hoses however.

jeffsimply

I'd be surprised if 16 all round was an upgrade.

ChrisGB

With stock power output and road tyres, the Toyota pads and discs should be fine. They have good feel and are strong enough for road and track. Going with significantly more power and / or track tyres, you may want to upgrade. EBC yellowstuff pads seem good. Carbotech have better feel and progression and last longer, but cost a lot more. Beyond,that, you can get big brake kits for the front end. PB Brakes are worth a look.
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

jeffsimply

Also worth noting, it feels like the standard MR2 brakes are a very strong point of the car. They feel more capable than my last car (Clio 172) which had massively competent standard brakes too, in fact I remember a statistic about it being able to outbrake a Ferrari 360.

I took the Clio on track with standard pads/discs and it was fine. After 5 or so laps they would start to fade and I'd let them cool down before continuing- I'd say I'm an above average driver but by no means an expert- so if you don't *know* that your brakes need upgrading then I'd leave them. Or just get more expensive pads (not EBC though) and be done with it. Not forgetting that a standard MR2 is much slower than a Clio 172 in a straight line so you have less speed to scrub off in the first place I don't think you'd have a problem. I'm taking my standard MR2 to Brands next month and don't anticipate any issues on standard setup.

shnazzle

Quote from: "jeffsimply"(not EBC though)

oooo going against the grain  s:) :) s:)
Is this still about the crumbling issue they had yonks ago on the reds, and everybody fled to the Ferodo's for a year or so, before all coming back to EBC yellow?
...neutiquam erro.

Anonymous

Quote from: "jeffsimply"Also worth noting, it feels like the standard MR2 brakes are a very strong point of the car. They feel more capable than my last car (Clio 172) which had massively competent standard brakes too, in fact I remember a statistic about it being able to outbrake a Ferrari 360.

I took the Clio on track with standard pads/discs and it was fine. After 5 or so laps they would start to fade and I'd let them cool down before continuing- I'd say I'm an above average driver but by no means an expert- so if you don't *know* that your brakes need upgrading then I'd leave them. Or just get more expensive pads (not EBC though) and be done with it. Not forgetting that a standard MR2 is much slower than a Clio 172 in a straight line so you have less speed to scrub off in the first place I don't think you'd have a problem. I'm taking my standard MR2 to Brands next month and don't anticipate any issues on standard setup.

Why not Ebc? They are proven to be one of the best for these cars

GT4-Play

Having sold a lot of yellow stuff pads for the Roadster and T-Sport corollas I haven't had any issues or comebacks from customers?
I also sell a big brake kit for the roadster?

MrStev3

I have used the same pads and discs ebc yellow and ebc turbo groove on the mr2 for 6 track days and two sprint race events and about to do cadwell on them for the final sprint of the year and these brakes have never let me down, have lots of life left and I've been hard on them.
I would buy them again in a heart beat
Mitsuko the mr2
federal rsr, lenso spec c wheels, ebc turbo grooved discs, ebc yellow stuff pads, tein springs, omp trs seat, Trs harness, rogue seat frames, k&n filter, stripped out interior, toyo sports manifold, Hardtop, rouge hardtop fitting kit, ultra racing front strut brace, Ultra racing lower rear brace, matts brace , kyb shocks, cobra quad exhaust,P&p cage

4dvti

I've got new oem discs and pads on the '2 and they work just fine with 212bhp.
190whp/143wtq & 12.7s 1/4 mile- naturally aspirated on r888s.

jeffsimply

Just saying what I'd do. Yes EBC might be a lot better these days, but I'd still pick one of the other brands myself (Ferodo/PerformanceFriction/Pagid)- although that depends on what pads are available for MR2s, I know you can get DS2500 and for a car that's not going to be spending more than 30 minutes straight on a track that's fine for me. Not saying anyone has to do the same though.

HFB

Quote from: "jeffsimply"....... I'm taking my standard MR2 to Brands next month and don't anticipate any issues on standard setup.

9th Nov?   s:D :D s:D
2000 Roadster
Silver (Blue go faster stripe)
2ZZ, Miester Zeta CRD+ Coilovers, Megillian Custom Exhaust & Underbody Brace and 1/2 cage (and working soft top), Patrick Chambers Enclosed air intake and oil cooler, badly re-furbed alloys :D

jeffsimply

Quote from: "HFB"
Quote from: "jeffsimply"....... I'm taking my standard MR2 to Brands next month and don't anticipate any issues on standard setup.

Yes! (Subject to no catastrophes happening at work)

Glubux

I can confirm that the EBC yellow can handle a 200hp mr2 on a summer track day    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  (standard discs and hoses)

HFB

Quote from: "jeffsimply"
Quote from: "HFB"

Yes! (Subject to no catastrophes happening at work)

Well if you are going, PM myself or Meerk as we're both going to be there and are planning to meet up/share garage, so be cool to have as many MR2's in the same space to share advice (I currently have none to give  s:( :( s:(  )/tools/choccy biccies etc!   s:D :D s:D  

HFB
2000 Roadster
2ZZ, Miester Zeta CRD+ Coilovers, Megillian Custom Exhaust & Underbody Brace and 1/2 cage (and working soft top), Patrick Chambers Enclosed air intake and oil cooler, badly re-furbed alloys :D

Jrichards20

Quote from: "Glubux"I can confirm that the EBC yellow can handle a 200hp mr2 on a summer track day    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  (standard discs and hoses)

I can confirm that EBC yellow can handle a 220hp mr2 on a summer track day  s:) :) s:)  EBC discs and standard hoses  s:) :) s:)  

never heard any problems at all with EBC pads nowadays on a 2.

But for the OP, stick with your stock discs, no need to upgrade them, use stock pads until they are all used up, I found the wore quite quickly but just upgrade them once they have gone. First thing I would do before I track day is better brake fluid. And then maybe braided hoses is you got plenty of meat on your pads.
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

HFB

Quote from: "Jrichards20"
Quote from: "Glubux"I can confirm that the EBC yellow can handle a 200hp mr2 on a summer track day    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  (standard discs and hoses)

I can confirm that EBC yellow can handle a 220hp mr2 on a summer track day  s:) :) s:)  EBC discs and standard hoses  s:) :) s:)  

never heard any problems at all with EBC pads nowadays on a 2.

But for the OP, stick with your stock discs, no need to upgrade them, use stock pads until they are all used up, I found the wore quite quickly but just upgrade them once they have gone. First thing I would do before I track day is better brake fluid. And then maybe braided hoses is you got plenty of meat on your pads.

Glad you gave that as best advice for track days.   s:) :) s:)  

I've got mine booked in for new front disks and pads, braided hoses all round and Dot 5 brake fluid.

Suspension and rear brakes is next year.

Also got a Mattbrace on order, but don't think I'll be receiving that in time for 9th Nov.

HFB
2000 Roadster

vinp182

I can confirm the standard Toyota discs and pads are fine for 220hp roadster on summer track days   s8) 8) s8)  (with braided hoses and .5 fluid)
2001 Nissan Silvia S15 SpecR
2000 MR-S...... Between engines
1993 Rev4 Turbo mk2 300whp
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2
2004 Renaultsport Clio182

shnazzle

as I've been corrected for this before for not being clearn; I feel I need to correct the above as well and state that it's DOT 5.1 that we need for our cars. DOT 5 will not make for pretty results of your brake lines
...neutiquam erro.

Skint Brit

Hi guys, I see you are all recommending EBC's yellow pads, which from my investigation are particularly designed for track use?  Does no one use their green stuff pads, which according to their blurb, are more suited to our cars standard power output?
Very nearly a 2007 model in Silver. TTE exhausts, spoiler and suspension. Black & Silver Grey custom leather with A/C. New Carhood Warehouse Mohair roof & Pioneer Avic-F77 head with reversing camera. FTSH.

Jrichards20

I've used green stuff before, in fact got some new fronts somewhere under the stairs! Saw them a couple of days ago  s:) :) s:)   Obviously slight differences but still found green stuff very good!
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

weeJohn

Here is a really good upgrade, be it for road or track, heavy or light use. New brake fluid every year, or every 2 years at the most will keep your system working well and prevent corrosion internally. Dont worry bout the Dot 4 rating, it well exceeds Dot 5.1, its not much dearer than 5.1 and its the cheapest upgrade you can get. Include a 1 man bleeder into the price so you can swap the fluid yourself and its still a cheap upgrade.

m http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-894-motul-r ... fluid.aspx m

Tags: