My Sable 2005 MR2 - shnazzle

Started by shnazzle, August 27, 2015, 15:20

jinxedkitten

Love it, great stuff!
Custard Tart of the Urban Custard Collective<br />Yellow '00 - Frenzy style bar, TD Type LED spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Zero manifold, Markiii Pipe, Toyo Proxes T1-Rs, Matt Brace, front brace.

manos3003

Good shout on those. I've added them and managed to sort out the tracking for good. Saves a fortune on getting adjustable camber arms.

Quote from: "shnazzle"Latest addition. Some camber bolts for the rear. Want to experiment in the summer with running about -1.5 degrees camber and remove the rear anti roll bar.
I can't recall a day when I drove my MR2 and it didn't put a smile on my face
<strike>2000 Spectra Blue Mica - 2ZZ-GE gone, but not forgotten</strike>
2002 Spectra Blue Mica K20A2 coming up

manos3003

Loved the how-to. Looking forward to some carbon bling for mine  s:D :D s:D

Quote from: "shnazzle"Door pulls in. They look so much better than I thought.

CrazySX

I always thought those and the CF ones look to skinny. Need to be fatter with tapered ends to look good. And now u have finger prints to worry about lol!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

shnazzle

Quote from: "CrazySX"I always thought those and the CF ones look to skinny. Need to be fatter with tapered ends to look good. And now u have finger prints to worry about lol!

the fingerprints will drive me nuts  s:) :) s:)  Other than that, I love it
...neutiquam erro.

CrazySX

Quote from: "shnazzle"
Quote from: "CrazySX"I always thought those and the CF ones look to skinny. Need to be fatter with tapered ends to look good. And now u have finger prints to worry about lol!

the fingerprints will drive me nuts  s:) :) s:)  Other than that, I love it
Fair enough buddy, long as they put a grin on your face that's all that matters.

Gatouzze

you have a really good looking car mate  s;) ;) s;)

shnazzle

Quote from: "Gatouzze"you have a really good looking car mate  s;) ;) s;)

Thanks! Appreciate the comments  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

So it seems any and all performance mods are on hold as I've signed up for a leather interior retrim later this year.
There go my car funds. For the year.
It'll get its services and required repairs and that's about it.

Having said that, true to form I'm kind of going off both 2zz and turbo so, no worries there. I could do with spending some time this year cleaning up the interior.
Tidying up wiring. Adding some fuses. Getting my reverse cam working. Playing around with some fibreglass. Etc.

New clutch, subframe and camber bolts going in this month. And my front struts need turning around a bit as I mounted them incorrectly last year.

So there are my car plans for 2017  s:) :) s:)  Basically, maintenance and interior.

Engine now sitting at 73k so she's still a young'n anyway
...neutiquam erro.

manos3003

You can always 2zz it later. Leather re-trim is not a bad idea  s:D :D s:D

I'm doing steering wheel and door cards this year, along with all the many 2zz mods and other exciting things   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Quote from: "shnazzle"So it seems any and all performance mods are on hold as I've signed up for a leather interior retrim later this year.
There go my car funds. For the year.
It'll get its services and required repairs and that's about it.

Having said that, true to form I'm kind of going off both 2zz and turbo so, no worries there. I could do with spending some time this year cleaning up the interior.
Tidying up wiring. Adding some fuses. Getting my reverse cam working. Playing around with some fibreglass. Etc.

New clutch, subframe and camber bolts going in this month. And my front struts need turning around a bit as I mounted them incorrectly last year.

So there are my car plans for 2017  s:) :) s:)  Basically, maintenance and interior.

Engine now sitting at 73k so she's still a young'n anyway

shnazzle

Well there's plenty miles left on my engine. And truth be told, I've always been attracted to building out the 1zz. Kind of along the line so Bernie's or Tommyzoom's car. Maybe not as extreme as Tommy's.
That sentiment has never gone away, whereas my 2zz and turbo thoughts have come and gone.
And truth be told, the only way I'd do the 2zz build would set me back about 4.5k, which is the same as I'd put a turbo on for, and 4.5k would go a very very long way towards rebuilding the 1zz with some extra kit. Possibly less.

The realisation that 2zz is not the best bang for buck for a daily driver is sinking in. And turbo adds complications, reliability issues, etc.
Built 1zz in the other hand...

We'll see what 2018+ brings  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

Bernie

In essence engine wise

Crower Stage 1 Cams (Monkey Wrench USA).
Fidanza lightweight flywheel
Zero - 4 into 2 Equal Length, tuned collector, Manifold SS.
Silverstone Performance De-cat pipe, fitted with 200 CEL Sports Cat.
Blueflame Custom Twin Exhaust.
PPE Cold Air Induction system
Apexi Power FC (ECU) with Commander hand controller
Remap

As you say improved stock engine @ 171BHP maintained properly has usability  & reliability and enough go

I've had it nearly 4 years no problems at all
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

shnazzle

Yup that's the puppy.
I'd be curious how much flatter the torque curve could be made by adding Stg2 cams and stiffer valve springs. Would prob need to raise the limiter a bit.
But then there's idling issues apparently. But that was my goal for 2zz
...neutiquam erro.

Bernie

Torque curve is pretty flat !

Readers Ride

shnazzle

That is indeed quite a nice curve.... Probably not worth the hassle then for potentially an additional 5hp
...neutiquam erro.

Bernie

You can have a try at Ding Day  :-) :-) :-)
Readers Ride

shnazzle

Quote from: "bernie11a"You can have a try at Ding Day  :-) :-) :-)
Oooohh  s:) :) s:)   you're on
...neutiquam erro.

tommyzoom99

more than happy to take you out in mine at ding day if you want to see how it feels also, the torque curve is pretty flat as well seems a good trait of the 1zz, our hits 145-150 lbft form about 3.5k all the way to 7.25k

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

shnazzle

Much appreciated. Yours is probably more work than I could ever afford, but it would be good to drive Bernie's and yours back to back to see what the extra "bit" does
...neutiquam erro.

manos3003

Quote from: "shnazzle"Much appreciated. Yours is probably more work than I could ever afford, but it would be good to drive Bernie's and yours back to back to see what the extra "bit" does

I've always believed NA tuning is better in these cars, which is why I'm not that in favour of Rotrexing mine in a couple of years anymore. But obviously, reliability and user-friendliness is key rather than trying to squeeze that last Nm of torque.

shnazzle

Indeed. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the torque of Helen's car. Especially when it's on full boost.
But it has been a bit of a headache since we got it, and it's still not right. And it's going to take upwards of 500+ quid to get it to see max boost again. It's what you sign up for when you go modified.

This is less so the case when you keep the stock engine and uprate a few components,...I think. Obviously tuning it more to the limits of its capabilities always brings reliability issues. But nothing compared to shoving 10psi of boost through it when it normally sees none
...neutiquam erro.

tommyzoom99

Quote from: "shnazzle"Much appreciated. Yours is probably more work than I could ever afford, but it would be good to drive Bernie's and yours back to back to see what the extra "bit" does

yeah no problem at all, im sure Bernie's is much more refined than mine from what i seen from his build, you wouldn't want to drive mine everyday   s:D :D s:D  but it was built like that for a reason   s:D :D s:D   i might see if Bernie is willing to take me for a spin in his on ding day also, be good to see what its like.

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

manos3003

Quote from: "shnazzle"Indeed. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the torque of Helen's car. Especially when it's on full boost.
But it has been a bit of a headache since we got it, and it's still not right. And it's going to take upwards of 500+ quid to get it to see max boost again. It's what you sign up for when you go modified.

This is less so the case when you keep the stock engine and uprate a few components,...I think. Obviously tuning it more to the limits of its capabilities always brings reliability issues. But nothing compared to shoving 10psi of boost through it when it normally sees none

Every car has its issues. It's what you believe you're prepared to live with. I couldn't deal with the 1zz anymore, especially now that it's given up.

Bernie

Quote from: "tommyzoom99"

yeah no problem at all, I'm sure Bernie's is much more refined than mine from what i seen from his build, you wouldn't want to drive mine everyday   s:D :D s:D  but it was built like that for a reason   s:D :D s:D   i might see if Bernie is willing to take me for a spin in his on ding day also, be good to see what its like.

cheers tommy

No probs Tommy form an orderly queue  :-) :-) :-)
Readers Ride

tommyzoom99

Quote from: "bernie11a"
Quote from: "tommyzoom99"

yeah no problem at all, I'm sure Bernie's is much more refined than mine from what i seen from his build, you wouldn't want to drive mine everyday   s:D :D s:D  but it was built like that for a reason   s:D :D s:D   i might see if Bernie is willing to take me for a spin in his on ding day also, be good to see what its like.

cheers tommy

No probs Tommy form an orderly queue  :-) :-) :-)

s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D  it looks that way, its your own fault for having such a nice 2  s:D :D s:D  more than welcome to come for a blast in mine  s:) :) s:)

cheers tommy
My track project
viewtopic.php?t=51237

Tags: