Quick Shift and new Induction Kit

Started by dkirkwood89, March 5, 2015, 13:43

dkirkwood89

I'll be getting it tonight so I'll post again after I've driven it and let you know. I'll give the MAF a clean before I leave and reset the ECU. I'll disconnect for 10 minutes then give it a good drive - am I better giving it a good revvy drive or a controlled drive?
2004 Red Edition, Hard Top, TRD Short Shifter, CBS CDA Induction Kit

AndyM

Probably a mix but I'd build up to it if you think there is any danger of the engine going lumpy.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

dkirkwood89

Dead on.

I've only spoken to my dad, who picked the car up from my uncle/mechanic, so there's the possibility (fingers crossed) that there's been some Chinese whispers, so I'll get a better at the weekend when I speak to him

dkirkwood89

Just back in now after getting the car - driving, revving and idling all perfect. No issues and back to how it was before the mod.

I didn't clean the MAF or reset the ECU either. I'm going to see my uncle on Saturday

dkirkwood89

Just saw a few comments from Frogger - could be the plumbing and poor MAF adapter that isn't the right and making the sensor sit too high, so might try and get a spare airbox to cut up.

I was going to get a different adapter to try anyway but this is probably the best option

AndyM

Quote from: "dkirkwood89"Just saw a few comments from Frogger - could be the plumbing and poor MAF adapter that isn't the right and making the sensor sit too high, so might try and get a spare airbox to cut up.

I was going to get a different adapter to try anyway but this is probably the best option

That sounds like a plan.  s:) :) s:)  If the problem is that the MAF is either sitting wrong (or not sealed) then you're going to get these problems in either position. If I was you I'd source an old air box, cut it down to act as an adaptor and then put it back in behind the battery and see how it goes.

dkirkwood89

Spare airbox bought  :-) :-) :-)  just waiting on it

dkirkwood89

Was searching through some other posts on the BMC on here and saw a few members talking about having to remap the engine after installing the BMC to get any power difference.

I know just installing an aftermarket filter isn't going to have massive gains anyway, but I guess I've 2 questions?:

1 - I have no other engine modifications at the minute - if I reinstalled my BMC (with the MAF adapter from the standard airbox) and remapped it the engine, what would be the benefits? Power gain? Smoother running?
2 - If I installed it again (as stated in prev question) and did not remap the engine, would I lose power or suffer poor running of the engine?

Sorry if this seems a bit obvious, I read that many posts that I've confused myself a bit.

Cheers

AndyM

1. Not massive amounts by itself but you might get a bit more out of it if you're lucky. Bear in mind you can't remap the ECU without a piggyback system. The map itself though would allow you to tune the power/delivery a bit more to your requirements.

2. You'll probably get about the same minimal 'gain' as above as the stock ECU can probably adjust the trims to suit the filter fine. As I've mentioned before, adding this filter shouldn't cause any bad running if it's all plumbed in okay.

Ultimately an air filter on its own isn't going to make much raw power gain, you do get the noise though.  s:) :) s:)

dkirkwood89

Quote from: "AndyM"1. Not massive amounts by itself but you might get a bit more out of it if you're lucky. Bear in mind you can't remap the ECU without a piggyback system. The map itself though would allow you to tune the power/delivery a bit more to your requirements.

2. You'll probably get about the same minimal 'gain' as above as the stock ECU can probably adjust the trims to suit the filter fine. As I've mentioned before, adding this filter shouldn't cause any bad running if it's all plumbed in okay.

Ultimately an air filter on its own isn't going to make much raw power gain, you do get the noise though.  s:) :) s:)

Perfect andy cheers   s:D :D s:D  

A lot clearer now. Just waiting on my spare airbox, then will measure up to see what pipes I need, but might just wait until after my wedding at the end of the month.

dkirkwood89

Finally got round to sorting this   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

CBS BMC style air filter, 90 degree and 45 degree silicone hoses from ASH, ducting from ASH and a cut up stock air filter as the MAF holder. And BMC CDA sticker lol

I had a bit of trouble with the EML light for the post cat 02 sensor...however it was just because the male connection at the coolant bottle was still disconnected   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   Easy enough fix

I've had no issues since, so the standard air box cut up was a great job   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  below is the finished product. no difference in noise until I put the foot down and revs hit about 3200, just what I was after   s:) :) s:)  

Jock

Got there   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

Tags: