V6 mk3 project thread ( vid added Page 8 + page 10)

Started by paul Woods, September 1, 2007, 14:37

Liz

Wowser!  s8) 8) s8)    Love that!  Good job.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

northernalex

that looks amazing, and to be honest I thought it would look very wrong (I can keep a secret too  s:) :) s:)  )but it looks very right!!! Beautiful  s:) :) s:)

Alex
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

heathstimpson

Quote from: "MikeMr2"Very cool... my dad's old Astra GTE had one of those   s8) 8) s8)
It is definately a dash from the old Astra GTE isn't it Nigel  s:?: :?: s:?:  It does suit the 2 very well  s8) 8) s8)
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

paul Woods

thanks for the kind words chaps,yep its an astra GTE dash,i have one in my mk1 as well,it was the only way we could get the v6 to work,either this or a stack dash of some sort....the mk3 dash is obd2 compliant and will only work if you retain the original engine ecu...which we didnt have cos nigel had a power FC fitted.

Its taken 3 weeks to achieve this but i think it looks spot on myself....although if you see nigel talking into his casio watch and saying "kitt meet me around the back in 5 minutes" ... then please slap the back of his head   s:D :D s:D

loadswine

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   I do have a Casio watch as it happens. I reckon I'll be hearing in my head when I drive it
 " Nigel, I don't think you should touch turbo boost!"    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
Can't wait to see it in the flesh and drive it!  s:D :D s:D  

Massive thanks to Paul for all the work on this, way beyond the call of duty!
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Chris

well what can I saw apart from Wow!

I've not been reading this thread up until now, but there has been some seriously impressive work going on - congrats to both paul and nigel!

It's been ominously quiet since thursday though - does that mean you've not picked it up, or you're just having too much fun in it out and about?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

loadswine

Chris, car has been running for some weeks, just tweaking bits on the dash and stuff really.
In the end I couldn't pick the car up due to family issues that had to take priority. Carol and I are getting married on December 1st and with everything that needs sorting , plus a few other family things going on, I've had to ask Paul to look after it for me until December 8th.
Sorry to disappoint folks, but I had no other option. I'm itching to drive the beast, but have to give priority to my family bits.
Paul might be able to put up the odd bit of vid if he gets time in between all his other tasks.
I have to say that I'm totally chuffed with the whole conversion, Paul is the man!  s8) 8) s8)  
I'll have to work extra hard with pics and write up in a few weeks time.
  s:) :) s:)  
This is the final part of the puzzle for me to have the Roadster I've always wanted.   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Paul, just out of curiousity, is the digital dash conversion technically possible for the rest of us?

paul Woods

In a nutshell,no.... well i say no,it *could* be done but it would be very hard to achieve with the stock engine and ecu.... you would need to build a jaycar speedo corrector unit and borrow the speed signal from the ABS to get the dash working right speedo wise... you would also need to fit an astra oil pressure switch onto the engine and modify the fuel sender unit,which im still messing around with on nigels car,its the hardest bit!

So yes its possible but not very likely...oh i forgot the dash binnacle,add 2-3weeks work for that alone   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Another question if you don't mind Paul. Can't you piggyback the PFC to the 1zz ecu, so that the PFC will take care of the performance bit, while the 1zz ecu take cares of the auxiliary functions like gauges etc? That way, one won't have to swap out the stock dash.

I've no idea if the PFC can be piggybacked, so I'm just throwing out my idea.

paul Woods

problem is simon i dont even have the PFC! i had nothing to work from at all,thats what made this project such a challenge,id no ecus to piggyback or leave it situ,hence the dash conversion

Anonymous

I'm confused Paul. First you said Nigel's running the Power FC, and now you say you don't have the PFC?

Perhaps you mean you/Nigel no longer has the 1zz ecu?   s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:  

What ecu is Nigel's 2 running now?

I'm just trying to learn more here.

kanujunkie

its running the stock ecu for the engine, not the PFC one
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

aaronjb

Quote from: "simontan75"I'm confused Paul. First you said Nigel's running the Power FC, and now you say you don't have the PFC?

Perhaps you mean you/Nigel no longer has the 1zz ecu?   s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:  

What ecu is Nigel's 2 running now?

I'm just trying to learn more here.

Originally Nigels car had a 1ZZ + PE Turbo + PFC.

Now it has (AFAIK) 3VZ + 3VZ ECU

The 1ZZ ECU was never with the car - Nigel bought the car with the PE kit and PFC already fitted.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

paul Woods

thankyou aaron,that sums it up... so i had no ecu of any description to control the dash and the old camry ecu doesnt speak CANbus,so i had to convert the dash to something oldschool....now i could have grafted a set of mk1 mr2 clocks in there but the digi ones suit the car better

aaronjb

Quote from: "paul Woods"but the digi ones suit the car better

And look more Knight Rider   s:D :D s:D  

(I've always had a thing for old Vauxhall digital dashes - the one in the Carlton GSI was lovely too.  Spent a while trying to scrounge parts to put one in my old Renault 5 GT T in fact  s:) :) s:) )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

kanujunkie

we like old skool  s8) 8) s8)
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

paul Woods

I'm with you on that one aaron,i think they look the dogs bits

loadswine

A big +1  s:D :D s:D

loadswine

Just a quickie, Paul has officially named this swap the Mk3.6. No surprises there!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
I'm hoping that while Paul has the car sat up there at Woodsport, there might be a break in the weather and he can get some vid of it on the road.
Weather hasn't been too kind in that location htis week, i understand.

Right, have to focus on the next big event now, as Carol and I are getting married tomorrow. Let's hope for a window in the weather for that!  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Quote from: "loadswine"......Carol and I are getting married tomorrow.....

Congratulations and best of luck   s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Congratulations

(another good man gone)  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

NorthandSouth

hope you and carol have a wonderful day tomorrow...many congrats to you both

Lynne
Lynne
2004 Sable Red Edition now sold :( and would so love another!

loadswine

Well, I picked this up from Woodsport today, would have got it sooner, but had to fit in getting married on 1st December!
We had a fantastic day today and Carol and I had the privelige of meeting up with  Phil (evileye) and Dr Alex, thanks for the lift guys, great having a mini meet, really made the day.  s8) 8) s8)  
I'll keep this brief for now, as I've just driven about 300 miles and I am full of cold and completely knackered, but good knackered driving this car!
A massive thank you to Paul for doing this swap with superb skill and attention to detail in every area. It is a superb achievement this, the first Mk3 V6 outside the US to run and the only customer Mk3 V6 ever and
the only 3vz-fe mk3 in the world! :shades:
This thing absolutely rocks ( I will post vids in due course, weather was awful today).
When I originally talked to Paul about doing the mk3.6, I sent him a few clips of 1970 era Ferrari Dinos and said that's what I wanted it to sound like. ( I set him a few tall orders and he delivered on them all, plus a few we hadn't seen coming!)  It sounds like one of the Dinos and then some.When this thing gets past around 4k it absolutely wails!!!  s8) 8) s8)    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  
I only did this when nearer home Paul, so don't worry.
300 miles on its maiden voyage and it didn't miss a beat.
I did say just a few words, but can only end this post with the word that sums this conversion up....... WOW!
Thanks Paul!   s:D :D s:D  

An added bonus coincidence, just got off the end of the M23 and who should come round the corner behind me but Stu ( Kanujunkie), you couldn't plan this stuff!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

northernalex

Was fantastic to meet you two - and thank you very much for taking me for a little spin in your new MK3V6 lol...

What a fantstic animal... when you put your foot down it really sounds like youve got an angry tiger held up in the back! Absolutley amazing.

AND the torque! I'm going to call "claims direct" for my wiplash!! lol

Nigel, thanks very much for the burger and cup of tea, much needed after the arctic conditions in Paul's garage (even though the lady serving you couldnt understand your accent)

Paul has done an excellent job, and is a complete perfectionist!

Best phrase of the day though was Nigel who said "Don't worry, I'm not Northernist"  classic!!!!

Phil is getting ideas already... (and I need more power too lol)

Alex
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Tags: