Front Wheel Hub

Started by HeLikedTheTuna, December 19, 2020, 13:56

HeLikedTheTuna

Hi there,

Currently replacing front wheel hub as the bearing is gone.

I have everything off, caliper and brake disc. The hub is unbolted but it's not nudging. I've beaten it with a lump hammer and nadda. Its immaculately clean underneath, like zero rust so I thought it would be cooperative.

Is there a wise old trick to dislodging this guy or do I keep beating the hell out of it? I'm running the risk of beating it beyond usability if I need to give up and drive it to a mechanic to do the job!

barchetta_ms

I had to admit defeat with mine - they we seized solid and had a local garage do it.

Bossworld

A lot of (directed) force and it'll come off. I don't remember using heat, think I did try and use a flat headed screwdriver to break the bond. Be somewhat careful with the steering knuckle itself but it'll just be bound in place even if it looks clean.

Unfortunately my hand also copped for it along the way but the blood blister disappeared after a month.

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?msg=796865

HeLikedTheTuna

We won. Both sides changed and bearing noise gone. Afternoon well spent.You cannot view this attachment.

HeLikedTheTuna

No heat needed here either. Just used the gap in the brake disc cover to whack it with a 4lb lump hammer. Then corrected angle by tapping on the other side. Rinse & Repeat. Took about 20 mins first wheel and about 5 for the second because I was more confident.

Bar a smashed finger, it was a success!

Tags: