MOT fail - high lambda

Started by BahnStormer, April 1, 2019, 15:24

BahnStormer

Last year it failed emissions on HC and CO - replaced all O2 sensors.... so good to see that 12 months later those are SQUEAKY clean.... however it failed on Lambda (reading of 1.1 and 1.11 on the fast idle tests). The tester said that his best guess would be something loose on the exhaust manifold.

Any suggestions?
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Call the midlife!

Broken flexi ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

Carolyn

Could be an exhaust leak, I put a bit of tissue in some needle nose and offer it around the manifold and exhaust-  If it flutters - leak!

High Lambda means it's running lean.  An air leak after the MAF would be a possible cause.  Or even a leak at the MAF.

Did you clean the MAF prior to MOT?
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

jvanzyl

I reckon that little ding you had a few months ago may have put took much strain the flexi's...

BahnStormer

Quote from: Carolyn on April  1, 2019, 15:42
Could be an exhaust leak, I put a bit of tissue in some needle nose and offer it around the manifold and exhaust-  If it flutters - leak!

High Lambda means it's running lean.  An air leak after the MAF would be a possible cause.  Or even a leak at the MAF.

Did you clean the MAF prior to MOT?

Nope - no MAF clean.

I'll check around the manifold for obvious leaks and look into the MAF clean if I can't find anything.
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Carolyn

Go mad and clean it anyway.. Real easy job.

Two phillips screws and some carb cleaner.  (Don't spray the O ring).
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Ardent

+1
Esp. The bit in brackets.

BahnStormer

Ok, will do.

Definitely some sort of an exhaust leak though - just putting my hand down around the left hand side of the manifold and down that side of the engine I can feel a LOT of air swirling around and smell a lot of exhaust gasses... so I need to find somewhere to work on it. Trying to see if Patrick can fit me in this week.

BahnStormer

Patrick is busy until middle of next week at least... anybody else recommended? Otherwise I'm taking it up to the local Kwikfit  :o

Any recommendations around Crawley / SW London?

Car is fine to drive, but I'd prefer South of London or South of the river at least, especially if I have to leave the car with them for the day!

jvanzyl

you could bring it up to mine... got the tools you need, and if it is the two crush rings you can get those from toyota..
We could put it up on the ramps, take the nappy off and have a quick proper look to diagnose if it's flexi or gasket..

BahnStormer

I'm going to get an indy near my work to look at it tomorrow. IF that doesn't work / we need parts from Mr.T, I might take you up on that...

And mine is nappy-free, so one less piece to get in the way...

BahnStormer

The garage has had a look - he says that there the exhaust manifold is blowing a bit, which has probably just pushed it over the edge, but he says it's not really that bad and they don't want to touch it.

He also said that they test certain cars, especially older Japanese hot hatches and sports-oriented cars on the high idle (~3500rpm) not the standard (~2000-2800rpm?) "as they tend to have their ECU focused on a higher part of the rev range". He said that under those conditions it sails through the Lambda tests.

It all makes sense and he insists it is NOT an MOT fudge and perfectly normal practice, so it will only cost me £40 now, it isn't dodgy/illegal and will keep the MOT bods happy... and gives me time to get it done properly by somebody who know what they're doing :)

Now to work out who wants to do an MR2 manifold that probably hasn't been touched since the car first went on the road ~12yrs ago...

jvanzyl

Quote from: BahnStormer on April  4, 2019, 10:39
The garage has had a look - he says that there the exhaust manifold is blowing a tony bit, which has probably just pushed it over the edge, but he says it's not bad and they don't want to touch it.

He also said that they test certain cars, especially older Japanese hot hatches and sports-oriented cars on the high idle (~3500rpm) not the standard (~2000-2800rpm?) "as they tend to have their ECU focused on a higher part of the rev range". He said that under those conditions it sails through the Lambda tests.

It all makes sense and he insists it is NOT an MOT fudge and perfectly normal practice, so it will only cost me £40 now, it isn't dodgy/illegal and will keep the MOT bods happy... and gives me time to get it done properly by somebody who know what they're doing :)

Now to work out who wants to do an MR2 manifold that probably hasn't been touched since the car first went on the road ~12yrs ago...

You can have my old decatted manifold.. it's sitting in the garage..

BahnStormer

Quote from: jvanzyl on April  4, 2019, 10:48

Seriously tempting!! Is that a home job to swap it over? If so, how long? Catch you on WhatsApp?

edit: you got me thinking about alternatives.... I found the TRD one....  :o :o :o :o

£1150!!!

https://www.fensport.co.uk/parts/toyota/mr2/mk3-1-8-roadster/exhaust-system/zzw30-trd-exhaust-manifold/

jvanzyl

Quote from: BahnStormer on April  4, 2019, 12:19
Quote from: jvanzyl on April  4, 2019, 10:48

Seriously tempting!! Is that a home job to swap it over? If so, how long? Catch you on WhatsApp?

edit: you got me thinking about alternatives.... I found the TRD one....  :o :o :o :o

£1150!!!

https://www.fensport.co.uk/parts/toyota/mr2/mk3-1-8-roadster/exhaust-system/zzw30-trd-exhaust-manifold/

Totally an at home job.
Preparation is key though.
Basically dosing the bolts in plusgas for a few days before.

I have spare manifold bolts etc as well.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

BahnStormer

Okay - I was about to say "I'm starting to build up a shopping/parts list.... to do the two main exhaust gaskets.".....
Then I got this (complete, in Excel format) from @jvanzyl  - thanks!!

Head to Manifold      TCB
Gasket   17173-22010 (x1)   £13.23 + VAT
Nuts   90179-08228 (x5)   
Studs   90126-08043 (x5)   
Manifold to cat      
Gasket   90917-06065 (x2)   £4.29 each + VAT
Nuts   90179-10070 (x3)   
Studs   90116-10146 (x3)   

Also need....
Plusgas (I've got the WD40 "Penetrating Edition" or something like that... but I've been told to just stick to Plusgas)

BahnStormer

Okay:
1) OEM gaskets on order...
2) Erbauer kit (seize bolt/nut remover) and Plusgas on order too :)
3) ...but I'm having a right pain finding OEM nuts and studs...

I tried the Toyota Offical eBay site (i.e. the one that linked from the Toyota.co.uk parts store), which is where I got the gaskets, but they don't have the part numbers for the other parts.

Any ideas?

jvanzyl

Have you tried phoning your local Toyota branch?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: BahnStormer on April  5, 2019, 10:28
3) ...but I'm having a right pain finding OEM nuts and studs...

I tried the Toyota Offical eBay site (i.e. the one that linked from the Toyota.co.uk parts store), which is where I got the gaskets, but they don't have the part numbers for the other parts.

Any ideas?

Yes.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M8-x-40-Manifold-Studs-Double-Ended-Nuts-A2-STAINLESS-STEEL-Inlet-Exhaust/391846876564?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=660845286534&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

BahnStormer

Quote from: jvanzyl on April  5, 2019, 10:35

Nice idea, except they're a bunch of mucking fuppets... my last inspection said "185/55/15 tyre tread depth checked okay"... on all four wheels.... AND they phoned me up and said the brake fluid was overdue and would be dangerously deteriorated and needed to be replaced immediately, despite having been done 4 days earlier with 5.1. A few other classic incompetence things, but those were the lowlights.... basically I won't trust them with the car again... and I'm not sure if I'd even trust them to pick 8 nuts and 8 studs properly....

BahnStormer

A quick update - my Cat gasket continued to deteriorate fairly rapidly, ended up with a few days worth of O" sensor warnings (initially something like "O2 sensor slow to respond" for both manifold sensors and then "system too lean" on both.... gaskets done (and three amigo's replaced with new ones too) and it's all cleared up very quickly.

ManInDandism

Quote from: BahnStormer on April  5, 2019, 11:57

Nice idea, except they're a bunch of mucking fuppets... my last inspection said "185/55/15 tyre tread depth checked okay"... on all four wheels.... AND they phoned me up and said the brake fluid was overdue and would be dangerously deteriorated and needed to be replaced immediately, despite having been done 4 days earlier with 5.1. A few other classic incompetence things, but those were the lowlights.... basically I won't trust them with the car again... and I'm not sure if I'd even trust them to pick 8 nuts and 8 studs properly....

Is possible you may have confused them by using DOT 5.1 rather than the DOT 3 that it specifies on the cap.  I think the tests they do relate to boiling point and as you know, the two operate in a different range of temperatures.  And the car has been out of production for so long that the technician may never have never encountered one and so doesn't know about differing tyre sizes front and back. 

Not trying to defend them at all - just saying!  I think we would expect to know more about our cars than a garage at a base level at least since we are enthusiasts whereas they have to have a passing knowledge of umpteen different Toyota models and all the variants.  Tend to give dealer servicing wide berth myself once a car is out of warranty but have recently ordered nuts and bolts from Toyota (Horsham) looking up part numbers on the EPC and then quoting them.  Costs are eye-watering for what they are but if I'm getting new components fitted I prefer not to use corroded 15 years old ones.       
Black 2004 Roadster
Previous: Black 1994 Mk2 Turbo

BahnStormer

Quote from: ManInDandism on April 23, 2019, 15:10
Quote from: BahnStormer on April  5, 2019, 11:57

Is possible you may have confused them by using DOT 5.1 rather than the DOT 3 that it specifies on the cap.  I think the tests they do relate to boiling point and as you know, the two operate in a different range of temperatures.  And the car has been out of production for so long that the technician may never have never encountered one and so doesn't know about differing tyre sizes front and back. 

Not trying to defend them at all - just saying!  I think we would expect to know more about our cars than a garage at a base level at least since we are enthusiasts whereas they have to have a passing knowledge of umpteen different Toyota models and all the variants.  Tend to give dealer servicing wide berth myself once a car is out of warranty but have recently ordered nuts and bolts from Toyota (Horsham) looking up part numbers on the EPC and then quoting them.  Costs are eye-watering for what they are but if I'm getting new components fitted I prefer not to use corroded 15 years old ones.     

Possibly... Not sure how brand new 5.1 would be described as "deteriorated"... or have a higher boiling point?!?

I'd also question how much they're looking that the wheels/tyres if they don't notice different rim sizes... surely if you were checked the tread depth on a 185 width tyre and then a 215, you might twig that one was much wider at least.

I might talk to the Horsham lot... but not bothering with my local one again unless they start selling new MR2's ;)

Tags: