Cheapest 'stock' suspension refresh shopping challenge

Started by Bossworld, February 14, 2019, 11:55

Bossworld

As you may be aware I had a bit of a battle with front lower control arms recently, but now they're swapped, it got me thinking about the rest of my suspension which as far as I'm aware is 135k miles old.

A cursory glance online suggests a full suspension refresh would run you about £800. That's problematic for many, given you can get a generic family car sorted for a fraction of that. It's also likely a reason pushing many towards coilovers, but personally that's not a route I want to go down.

This thread is about finding the cheapest way to do a refresh.  The main plan of attack is Amazon, who often do one off clearance items - not cheap crap but just end of line clearance.  This can leave you in a position where you probably need to procure the other side at full price, but the overall cost is reduced. You can see the pitfalls of this approach when I received two springs of different sizes that had to be returned.

Another route of attack can be eBay who occasionally have 20% off codes, so it's worth keeping items on your watch list if you're prepared to play the long game.

At a minimum, you will need to procure:

Four new shockers/struts (cross-reference the thread where someone has purchased Koni damper inserts)

Four new coil springs. Depending on your preference, you could buy lowering ones. There is a subtle difference in standard rear height pre/post 2002; 353mm <2002> 360mm.

Depending on condition, you will also likely want.

New top mounts - Japanparts are the cheapest
New spring insulators for the fronts
New dust seals for the fronts
New dust covers x 4
New bump stops x 4

You may also need
New top spring cups for the front
New rear strut mounts (should come with a supporting collar - KYB seem to be the only available option)
New rear drop links
And potentially, four new brake hoses if you can't get the clips out of the old struts.

Bossworld

Err, so I've hit my first challenge in the pursuit of cheap it would seem  :-[

The rear coils - the manufacturer sent a spreadsheet confirming that part numbers were interchangeable.  The boxes both say MR2 rear 2000 onwards.  However, comparing the coils side by side, with the starting point the same, the top end of the spring is pretty much 180 degrees different.  I've attached a pic as it's difficult to explain.  Using the old scientific method of a piece of string, there's 18cm more metal on one of them, but they work out to the same height, they're seemingly wound at a slightly different angle.

From my laymen's knowledge, I know that there's a stop/flat bit that the spring lines up against in the strut.  Is there anything comparable at the top?

I don't believe that the springs are left or right sided, so do I need to send these back and start again?  Or am I being a complete numpty and it won't make a difference when they're compressed and fitted?

Thanks for any clarification anyone can provide.

Joesson

You do need to send them back and the link will explain why( because they are different)

https://www.acxesspring.com/calculate-spring-wire-length.html

https://www.thespringstore.com/spring-rate-calculator.html

Added the second link that is more applicable as it uses the length of the material and shows a different length would give a different "rate".

Bossworld

Quote from: Joesson on February 19, 2019, 09:58
You do need to send them back and the link will explain why( because they are different)

https://www.acxesspring.com/calculate-spring-wire-length.html

Science works for me, cheers fella they can go back.  Back to the bargain hunt drawing board.

Bossworld

Springs (this time ,KYB) re-purchased at a much higher cost.  Could have got a lowering set for £48 but I don't think the car would get up the drive.

Also concerned about how much the spring top cups and spring insulators are going to run, I really don't want to re-use the old ones if possible (and this way I don't have to dismantle the old struts).

Two's Company

If trying to keep it cheap why do you need new springs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bossworld

Quote from: Two's Company on February 20, 2019, 20:54
If trying to keep it cheap why do you need new springs?

Do it once, do it properly was my thinking. I say 'more expensive' but the springs were still less than £60 all in. If the bargain ones had worked out, they were £6 each lol

The existing rubber boots have perished, and the springs have corrosion (I'm aware it's meaningless unless they've snapped but it backs up my theory of the age of the suspension).

I'm the 4th owner, I got in contact with the third who hadn't done any suspension work on the car, so I think the lot have covered 135k miles.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Bossworld on February 20, 2019, 19:06
Springs (this time ,KYB) re-purchased at a much higher cost.  Could have got a lowering set for £48 but I don't think the car would get up the drive.

Least it's a guaranteed pair, and now, guaranteed the same brand all around.

Tempered slightly by getting the rear left hose for £5.90 on an Amazon trawl yesterday.

Also concerned about how much the spring top cups and spring insulators are going to run, I really don't want to re-use the old ones if possible (and this way I don't have to dismantle the old struts).
I got a crankshaft pulley for £8.50 at the weekend, it's becoming a new challenge![emoji23]

60% of the time it works everytime...

Bossworld

Quote from: Call the midlife! on February 20, 2019, 22:29

Tempered slightly by getting the rear left hose for £5.90 on an Amazon trawl yesterday.

I got a crankshaft pulley for £8.50 at the weekend, it's becoming a new challenge![emoji23]

Ah so you're my competition!  ;D  I see everything from the cheap thread has gone lol.  I managed to get a front wheel bearing/hub/ABS sensor pre-assembled for £27 which I thought would be useful sat on the shelf if nothing else, got a master cylinder for £8 too.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Bossworld on February 21, 2019, 10:08
Quote from: Call the midlife! on February 20, 2019, 22:29

Ah so you're my competition!  ;D  I see everything from the cheap thread has gone lol.  I managed to get a front wheel bearing/hub/ABS sensor pre-assembled for £27 which I thought would be useful sat on the shelf if nothing else, got a master cylinder for £8 too.
Nah, it's not me stockpiling, I just missed the pulley off my rebuild parts list and spotted it on there.
I did look at the hubs/speed sensors though for future reference but mine won't be going anywhere for a while yet.

Bossworld

Sprung another problem, order cancelled as rear springs out of stock. Never mind will just monitor situation for a while

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Bossworld on February 21, 2019, 15:40
Sprung another problem, order cancelled as rear springs out of stock. Never mind will just monitor situation for a while
Funny that, I had a £1.54 brake disc in my "interested" list, that's back up to normal price now too. Some you win...

Bossworld

Reordered the springs

Front KYB springs, RA2090

Tip: eBay had 10% off Parts in Motion, PIM also had 5% when you bought two or more items.

Rear KYB RA5775 (the longer 360mm variant) out of stock again unfortunately.

Bossworld

PayPal Credit are offering £20 off a future spend when you spend £40. 

Attempted to use this to buy KYB rear top mounts at £52.16 for the last pair on eBay.

Unfortunately my order was cancelled and the seller informed me they're waiting on a shipment from KYB for the next few months. For some reason they keep showing 2 in stock on eBay.

I cannot find a cheap source of the dust boots, bump stops or the other ancillaries for the fronts.

Tags: