DING DAY 2018 will be Saturday June 9th. Holt Lodge Hotel again.
Double Rooms for Friday and Saturday nights will be available for £79.99 B&B or £69.99 for single occupancy.
Threads will go up soon but you can reserve the hotel now

My Silver '06

This area is for you to create a journal of activities performed on/with your car.
You are free to post anything in your car's journal within the rules of MR2ROC.
Add a link to your Reader's Ride in your signature for easy access!
Forum rules
This area is for you to create a journal of activities performed on/with your car.
You are free to post anything in your car's journal within the rules of MR2ROC.
- Topic name should contain basic car details and a distinguishing name or feature. E.g. "My Sable 2005 Turbo MR2 - The Emu"
- One car per Reader's Ride page, although you may make reference to previous MR2s you've owned, and in due time, their (locked) Reader's Ride threads.
- No idle chit-chat. The occasional "where did you get that?" or "that's lovely" are welcome
- If you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say it at all. Opinions are generally not welcome, unless specifically requested by the owner.
- If you have an issue with your car, please create a thread in the relevant section of MR2ROC and link to it in your Reader's Ride. Same for How-To's.
- Actively use linking to other threads in order to avoid duplication of information. No "solutioning" in your Reader's Ride, it makes it harder to find.
delhusband
OBD2 Code Reader?: Yes

My Silver '06

Postby delhusband » Sat May 13, 2017 10:42 am

First some History - My first romance, X373 OES - Bought -2003, Sold 2005 (biggest life regret - it was my only car, I couldn't afford a second motor, and I needed something more practical)

'06 Silver FL - Vanilla, skinny half sugar. (modless stock 1ZZ, -precats, +blitz lm panel filter). Readers ride: My Silver' 06

delhusband

Re: My Silver '06

Postby delhusband » Sat May 13, 2017 10:46 am

Romance No 2 - disaster. Lasted a week, big hole in subframe, car returned to dealer. Got a nice day out and a pic, this one from Fairlie Moor, looking on to isle of Arran

'06 Silver FL - Vanilla, skinny half sugar. (modless stock 1ZZ, -precats, +blitz lm panel filter). Readers ride: My Silver' 06

delhusband

Postby delhusband » Sat May 13, 2017 10:49 am

Romance no3 - silver '06, 63k, back in love

delhusband

Postby delhusband » Sat May 13, 2017 10:51 am

Top Centre mark added - 50p insulating tape from B&Q, MacDonalds coffee bean (free!)

delhusband

Postby delhusband » Sat May 13, 2017 10:53 am

Next job scheduled for 29th May. Local garage doing MOT advisories. Fitting discs and pads (kindly supplied by seller), and looking at deteriorated bushes on front wishbones (been reading about polybushes with interest)

shnazzle
MR2ROC Affiliates & Moderators Manager

Postby shnazzle » Sat May 13, 2017 3:37 pm

Loving that you kept the coffeebean
2005 Sable MR2 ...neutiquam erro. Honorary wearer of Pants of Shame 2015, for TWOCing
Reader's Ride link

Carolyn

Postby Carolyn » Sat May 13, 2017 6:42 pm

Sweet car. Alternative to re-bushing front a-arm..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351007624127? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Ignorance is somebody else not knowing that which I learned yesterday viewtopic.php?f=88&t=63866

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Sat May 13, 2017 7:04 pm

Carolyn wrote:Sweet car. Alternative to re-bushing front a-arm..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351007624127? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Or if you're feeling a little flush
http://battleversion.com/store/mrs-00-07/

delhusband

Postby delhusband » Sat May 13, 2017 7:43 pm

Thanks Shnazzle, Carolyn & Essex2Visuvesi. Coffebean stays!, Battleversions look delicious, but out of my league right now - need to work some overtime. Need to start saving some pennies, i'd love another mk3 track day

delhusband

Postby delhusband » Thu May 25, 2017 9:42 pm

Had a really good drive today. car blitzed with insects. Been driving enthusiastically after sticking some redex in the tank - no known need, wee experiment/curious to see if it made any noticeable difference (not totally sure it did, maybe a teeny bit?). So, washed and polished, and gave the hood a proper clean with some turtle wax cleaner and conditioner i got from the last owner.

delhusband

Postby delhusband » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:55 pm

Discs and pads fitted on Monday.

Local garage advised front bushes were fine for now, (I've not noticed any knocking/crashing or anything... :| )

Created new profile on Torque! Bought the reader for checking a fault code on an older car i had -never used it since, and probably don't use/understand fraction of the functionality - but the live readputs are real pretty!
Also considering attempting an mr2roc theme! (Theres a guide to making theme packs)

If anyone nearby needs a reader feel free to pm me

delhusband

Postby delhusband » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:21 pm

Ok, interesting day out. Checked engine coolant levels whilst out today. Embarrased to say it was the first time I'd checked, ever. :oops:

Topped up to "full" level with this

Spirited drive home, then stopped in at local shops and could smell burning. Parked up and some smoke coming from engine bay, panicked. Got out and saw some loose material sitting in nappy smoking away

Waiting for everything to cool down a bit. Where does that matetial normally sit, is this exhaust heat sheilding? Is it normally in nappy or elsewhere?

Also, just want to ask about how my coolant level now (see below) - looks very high to total novice like me - any/all advice welcome

delhusband

Postby delhusband » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:01 pm

Ok, so an hour after engine off level just above full. Didn't know how much expansion to expect to see in coolant bottle when warm, and maybe filled when engine wasn't quite cool enough.

wotugonado

Postby wotugonado » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:27 pm

The coolant levels hard to read on these, I'd get the turkey baster out and suck some of the excess coolant out of the tank. From what I've read the tank will expel any excess it self though if you leave it so don't worry to much.
Moditis Ruined me financially, 2 jobs now needed to pay for everything
marooned on a driveway surrounded by waves of lumpy tarmac
Meisters on, sticks like sh!t to a blanket. love it!!!!!!!!!!

delhusband

Postby delhusband » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:55 pm

Thanks very much for this, reassured, i'll sook some out. Cheers!

The Other Stu

Postby The Other Stu » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:25 pm

One thing I've learned about this car is the coolant is absolutely bonkers.
I did exactly as above. Turkey baster, because whenever I checked, it was like yours, overfull.
But now, at times, it's just above min. Other times, it's max.

As long as it sits between the two, and I definitely haven't lost any, I'm happy.
Facelift Blue MR2 - My Readers Ride: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=58890
Now with added Blue Running Lights (oops) :shock:

2 of the left

Postby 2 of the left » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:09 pm

Over the years - I now know these machines keep you on your toes - Coolant levels are so distracting!! Check the expansion tank before starting the engine. As long as the level is between Max and Min - No probs - Should it be under Min then fill to halfway and drive - If you overfill then your 2 blows out excess to atmosphere!!- Mind you there have been times when I've checked the level and found the level near Min and had no fluid to refill and driven to work and checked again - To find Tank just under Half full!
MR2 Mk 3 Laguna Blue(8M6) - Pre-Facelift ( Likwidart Art Logos) + MR2 Mk3 - RED Edition - Sable (Phantom Grey Pearl)- Facelift

delhusband

Postby delhusband » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:07 pm

Thanks everyone for feedback. Felt like a right plum for not having checked weeks ago. Going to check regularly (as i should have) from now on

delhusband

Postby delhusband » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:22 am

Time to check levels again. Just looking at inside of lid, Is there supposed to be some black insulation at the top left inside of the lid?

Coolant level after 15 hours - Check. As per OM, p235, and as per filling yesterday. Phew.

Had a quick look around. Nappy has a Salvador Dali look about it

Had a wee look around rear. Untrained eye and all, but what i think is the rear anti-roll bar doesn't look particularly nice

Looks like a bracket holding the exhaust tail section has rotted away, but doesn't seem to be much movement when i push on the tailpipe, so not sure it's a big deal, or that the bracket was supporting much

delhusband

Postby delhusband » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:37 pm

Was going to remove nappy today following smokey scare yesterday, but it rained and I don't have a garage. So, decided to remove malfunctioning head unit. Great vid by AyCarrumba on YouTube on how to remove the trim and head unit, link below
https://youtu.be/GAnN7CDIB7o

Got trim off and unit out

Trim back on until i get another head unit

Also bought some shiny stuff i don't need, from Halfords yesterday. Got a smartphone holder, usb charge socket and some bosch aeroblades (i needed those, wipers were done)

Holder is one of the best I've bought- plenty of adjustment, clamps dont cover buttons, and easy lock/release mech. Only a tenner! I'll need this for 12th Aug run to Holy Isle, use my phone for sat nav.

delhusband

Postby delhusband » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:58 pm

Last job of day, took nappy off, had a look around. Lots of rust, but no obvious big holes in subframe.

delhusband

Postby delhusband » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:33 pm

OK, feeling adventurous this evening. Like I said before I'm new to maintenance, so if it sounds Mickey Mouse then apologies but bear with me, it's a journey - my journey (queue Disney music).
I've read about the potential benefits of cleaning the Mass Air Flow sensor. Reading through threads it looked like something I should be able to manage, if I was careful. First venture into the Engine bay other than for fluid checks (see earlier in thread, my track record on that isn't great either :oops: )

Found MAF, grabbed a crosshead screwdriver, removed screws and disconnected plug

Pulled MAF sensor from housing (carefully). Looking at the amber bulb on the MAF (the Idle Air Temperature sensor?) both front and rear, I got an idea of the kind of coating that can develop on these. That said, the elements inside the unit didn't look too bad - they looked a little dull maybe, but not black like the IAT sensor

I was in Halfords earlier looking for MAF cleaner - The products they had in store were Halfords Contact Cleaner (some members saying not to use), and this stuff. This seemed to be more appropriate going by description on the can - the product usage label described spraying into air intake system without filter, with engine running. I never went through with this procedure, but I'll explain why later.

Gave the MAF a good spray from about 30cm away, all over, inside and out. I forgot to remove the rubber 'O' ring around the MAF :oops: , and it got covered. I rinsed it off. Initially it appeared misshapen, but after drying out it returned to normal shape. I went up to B&Q to see if I could get a replacement, but they had none the right size - (I had some 32mm x 2.6mm in the shed, just a bit too big, think I need a 32mm x 2mm? It's on my shopping list, don't want to leave the existing one, maybe it'll perish quicker (I'm a worrier). I let the MAF dry for a good 20-30 minutes.

Feeling a bit bold, I decided to have a go at using the EGR cleaner in the way they described (plus, doing this would give me a chance to find out what an air filter actually looks like in real life - sad, I know, but extremely exciting for me). Found the clips on the air box cover, and prised them off. It looks like it would have been easier to access if I'd removed the cross members above, but not knowing whether or not they needed to be tightened to a specific torque setting/not knowing if not having it tightened correctly might be dangerous, I left it and fiddled about (like I said I fret).

Also unclipped the tubing from the top of the coolant bottle away from the top of the filter box lid.

Took off the cover of the air filter box, and took out the filter. I was surprised at how much muck was in the base of the filter housing, and how much muck the filter absorbs! Going to replace this with a K&N panel filter eventually. I've read about induction kits, and I'd like the extra noise it's said that they make, but I'll leave it for now - they look a bit awkward to fit - one step at a time (soon mate). One thing I've read though about the likes of the K&N filters is that they're impregnated with oil which can (eventually) foul the MAF - I'd be interested in knowing how long it would take for any significant fouling to happen (do you need to clean MAF more regularly?). The other thing I read about the likes of the K&N filter is that it's cleanable (unlike normal one use service item) - Question - if its impregnated with oil how do you clean it without removing the oil, which presumably serves some filtering purpose?

Anyway, after looking inside the bottom of the air filter box and seeing all the debris I gave it a clean to remove small leaves and dust inside. At this point I was thinking about following the guidelines for the EGR cleaner, and reading the guidelines just raised more questions for me - I'm supposed to inject this whilst engine warm and running at 1,500rpm, without filter in, and there's a lot of dirt in there, will debris get sucked into engine? Do I need to have MAF reconnected? If I reconnect MAF and replace filter box, where am I supposed to inject this stuff? Should I disconnect the engine intake pipe from the top of the Air Box and inject in there? I'll need someone with foot on throttle to keep revs around advised 1,500rpm and my wife doesn't drive, she'll freak if I ask her for help!

So..... I just left it for another day. I'd love to know what other components are present in the intake that get cleaned with this stuff, and whether doing that is bad for engine? I'm guessing the stuff that's melted off the dirty components just gets burnt in the cylinders?

Next up, do an ECU reset. I've read that quickest way is to disconnect battery (negative terminal). Wasn't sure if there was a recommended amount of time to leave disconnected (to allow discharge?) - I gave it 3 minutes. I'd searched earlier on forum to find out which fuse(s) I could pull instead of performing battery disconnection, sounded as though there may have been more than one fuse involved? had a look in the 3 relay boxes, found a couple labelled ECU(*), got confused and plumped for the battery using a 10mm socket to remove the clamp.

Job done. Took car for a test drive along the local bypass (the houses along that route must be getting sick of me red lining in 2nd like a teenager, but it makes me feel insanely good. Honestly, not the earth shattering difference for me that I was hoping for, but did seem to pull a bit quicker at 3k-5k? (or maybe that's the redex effect :D

Whole job took an hour (because I was bricking it a bit). No doubt this is 10 minute job for pro's. Fun though.

delhusband

Postby delhusband » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:45 pm

Phase 1 of my long term plan is to rejuvenate suspension, with as much of my own spannering as possible. Looking at the rear stabiliser bar, it doesn't look great.
So I bought myself a torque wrench today. I won't be needing it for a while - I don't have jack(s) or stands yet! I'm just slowly (and financially discreetly from Mrs delhusband) building up an arsenal.

I found the packaging especially pleasing in that it resembled a light sabre - I'll mod it by fitting a red torch inside :D

delhusband

Postby delhusband » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:32 pm

Stuck on some club decals which arrived today (cheers Stew :) )

Not a great job on the front one

delhusband

Postby delhusband » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:34 pm

Treated the glass and mirrors to some rain repellent

delhusband

Postby delhusband » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:56 pm

Have an annoying rattle in the dash, somewhere here

I searched other threads, found one on a rattle behind the instrument cluster
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24478&hilit=dashboard+rattle

Thought I'd give it a go. Started by removing instrument cowl

Removed the three screws shown

Disconnected the three connectors behind the instrument cluster carefully, pushing down on the tabs whilst pulling on the connector

Here's the dash with the instrument cluster removed. Everything seemed pretty well secured, gentle pull on the wiring looms and the air boxes and couldn't find anything loose

So no joy this time. Found another thread though, which talks about removing side panels on dash, and specifically about the noise having ccome from near the vent. That's where I think my noise is so I'll give this thread a go
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369&hilit=dashboard+rattle

Next up, thought I'd have a look at the instrument facias. There's a grubby scratch or mark on the speedometer, just above the odometer, that's been bugging me. Gently set about removing the Perspex cover by pushing the tabs in front and rear and lifting off

Think it was mild scratch, rubber didn't remove any of the marking.

delhusband

Postby delhusband » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:29 pm

Erm, ....that wasn't like that before I took the instrument cluster off. Hope there's a fuse for that, and not a buggered bulb? :oops: Image

delhusband

Re: RE: Re: My Silver '06

Postby delhusband » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:04 pm

Found the bulb, and ordered up a batch of 10 new ones from ebay (Toshiba V2)

delhusband

Postby delhusband » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:29 pm

Took wheels off to clean today, they were yellow and black inside.

Noticed that one front spring looking less fresh than the other, and boots perished or missing

Polished (again!)

Looking good!

delhusband

Postby delhusband » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:20 pm

Drove down to the Moffat Classic Car Rally today with the Boy, brilliant day out, and met a couple of club members (their 2's were things of beauty, very jealous).

Cam home and decided to have another go at that dash rattle, it was driving me mental on way back up. Not 100% sure but I think I've found the source. The noise sounded like a connector knocking against the trim, somewhere around the drivers vent. Previous attempt at removing instrument cowl I couldn't really see anything, so I tried a little lower down this time and found a loose plug knocking about near the ODB2 connector - can anyone tell me what this is? (inside red circle).Image

Anyway, I've tie wrapped it up (matching red tie-wrap for red trim of course, I know it's unseen but I have OCD). I'll see how things go over the next couple of hundred miles, but I'm sure this is it.

Also accidentally found a brilliant future location for a N2O, or a James Bond style Eject, button!

Return to “Reader's Rides”