Front braces from Megillian Motorsport are available!
K-Sport Coilovers for £622 at TCB! Anybody after a suspension refresh?
Backup of the site taken! As you were... A catalogue of PhotoBucket images will be downloaded onto our server so that we may re-link images to them and get them working again on the forum. If you do not want images you own, that are hosted on PhotoBucket (and posted on the forum obviously), to be stored by us. Let us know.

My Sable 2005 MR2 - shnazzle

This area is for you to create a journal of activities performed on/with your car.
You are free to post anything in your car's journal within the rules of MR2ROC.
Add a link to your Reader's Ride in your signature for easy access!
Forum rules
This area is for you to create a journal of activities performed on/with your car.
You are free to post anything in your car's journal within the rules of MR2ROC.
- Topic name should contain basic car details and a distinguishing name or feature. E.g. "My Sable 2005 Turbo MR2 - The Emu"
- One car per Reader's Ride page, although you may make reference to previous MR2s you've owned, and in due time, their (locked) Reader's Ride threads.
- No idle chit-chat. The occasional "where did you get that?" or "that's lovely" are welcome
- If you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say it at all. Opinions are generally not welcome, unless specifically requested by the owner.
- If you have an issue with your car, please create a thread in the relevant section of MR2ROC and link to it in your Reader's Ride. Same for How-To's.
- Actively use linking to other threads in order to avoid duplication of information. No "solutioning" in your Reader's Ride, it makes it harder to find.
shnazzle
MR2ROC Affiliates & Moderators Manager
OBD2 Code Reader?: Yes

Re: My Sable 2005 MR2 - shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:06 am

Hurricane and MaxBore throttle body in.

Lovely warbling sound haha. Love it!

Stock vs maxbore

EDIT: the noise! Oh sweet heavens the noise. My cheeks hurt from smiling.
2005 Sable MR2 ...neutiquam erro. Honorary wearer of Pants of Shame 2015, for TWOCing
Reader's Ride link

jvanzyl

Postby jvanzyl » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:29 am

nice... have you got a new obd2 yet to do some mapping?
01 Silver 1ZZ
The Smile Machine: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=59837

shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:39 am

No not yet. The next one I get is going to be a more upmarket one for once, but funds are depleted. It's time to recover funds now
2005 Sable MR2 ...neutiquam erro. Honorary wearer of Pants of Shame 2015, for TWOCing
Reader's Ride link

jonty

Postby jonty » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:15 pm

Going back a page it's interesting what you've said about rear camber - my car was running stock PFL wheels previously and when I did my 2zz swap after 2 years of outdoor parking under a tree I put some 17s on since the PFLs were corroded to hell... But I had to wind the front arm out to push the wheel back in the arch to give clearance, so my alignment was all over the place. I've had the alignment done last week and set the rear to 2deg as well, and I definitely can feel that the stability is not as good as before I came off the PFLs. I'm going to replace my steering UJ this week ( I think there is a tiny amount of play) but if that doesn't solve it I'll go for less rear camber.

Have you changed the settings from 2 deg yet, or still going like that? I'm normally happy with a loose rear end, but this is the front that's floating about and it kills my confidence...

shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:09 pm

I'm keeping the -2 rear camber. I'm used to the reduction in straight line stability now, just takes a grain more focus. But the rewards on the twisties make it all worth it. So, definitely a keeper.
I won't put on any front camber though. This setup will do for me. There's nothing else I want changing to the handling.

I have removed the stock rear cross bar and left the "cusco" rear strut brace. This really made the rear a lot more compliant on the roads around here and less skiddish.
It's still a bit heavy on understeer, but I'm keeping that in as it is a daily driver and a bit of safety goes a long way.

My brake fluid could do with changing and some yellow stuff pads wouldbn;'t go amiss. All stuff for the future. Still got plenty life in my mtec pads which are absolutely smashing.

All in all, my setup is one I am happy with and can recommend. It may not be amazing for track, but it would make for a very good track day and it's very comfortable/balanced for daily use. That's me done :)

BCs at 4/6kg (although I do like the MeisterRs as well, having been in 2 cars with them now)
Front and rear strut braces (replacing stock bracing)
TTE mid brace (Matt's brace)
-2deg camber on rear. The rest as stock.
AD08R tyres, slightly wider than stock (195 and 225).

Power-wise; I'm taking the path of Nic/Bernie but I'm in no rush. I'm very very pleased with the performance of the car at the minute. It's noticeably quicker than stock and brings power in lovely. And as Stew and I concluded on Friday; any quicker would just mean more chance of killing yourself.
The big wap of power from a turbo on the 70 roads is really good fun and puts a smile on your face, but on the b-roads it's largely wasted. If not entirely. It makes the car more driveable if you do lots of motorway miles as well. But I don't.
2zz is a track toy in my opinion. Although if any swap were to take place, it'd be 2zz.

Car's going into "maintenance mode" now for a while. Interior's getting redone, I'm sorting out little electrical bits and bobs. Replacing missing clips/screws. New wheels eventually, as mine will fail not too long from now.
Just keeping it running as-is is a prospect that I'm very happy with at the minute
Absolutely love my car
Reader's Ride link

lamcote

Postby lamcote » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:40 pm

Sounds like you have your car set up really nicely. Can you just remind me what you have on there that actually increases power? I know you have the EMB and now the new intake. I am assuming the EMB does increase power, the intake is really for noise (although it may start to help power if you get to a higher output?) and you have a TTE exhaust? Was the EMB mapped with a TTE exhaust?

Is there anything else you have? I wonder what output you have?
Silver 2004 MR2 - Unmodified but very shiny.

shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:59 pm

That's it really.
Increased airflow via the hurricane intake and maxbore throttle body
Increased scavenging via the TTE (a tiny bit) and perhaps the gutted manifold. The manifold starts to fail higher up in the rpm range and lose performance as the gasses build up in the chambers and start blocking rather than helping flow. (my theory).
My cat isn't...er...in the best state... :) Not blocked though. Maybe that helps.

Then the whole lot made use of by the emanage with the open loop trickery. The latter is what makes the emanage worthwhile on the N/A setup.
It was mapped with gutted precat, TTE exhaust and 57i intake on another car, but I have played with the map on the emanage a bit to resolve some rougher running when toodling around town (decreased airflow map) and advanced the timing a bit smoother coming up from 2750-4000 rpm instead of just bringing it all in at 4000.

That's it really. I should take it to a dyno sometime. I think the overall HP figures won't be massively different as I'm still running a stock cat and gutted manifold. But the power is much better placed for sure.
Reader's Ride link

jonty

Postby jonty » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:52 pm

Cheers for your thoughts Schnazzle, I do like the way the rear grips with this camber setting, hopefully the UJ will clear the front float.

shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:44 pm

Oil change time. Sparks were changed 6 months ago so no point and air filter...well...see above :) Bit pointless to change that now.
Some nice Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5w40 in there. She runs looovely.
Finally got the nappies back on and all. Looks so much better.
Reader's Ride link

manos3003

Postby manos3003 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:12 pm

shnazzle wrote:Oil change time. Sparks were changed 6 months ago so no point and air filter...well...see above :) Bit pointless to change that now.
Some nice Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5w40 in there. She runs looovely.
Finally got the nappies back on and all. Looks so much better.

Spark plugs: Copper or Iridium?
I can't recall a day when I drove my MR2 and it didn't put a smile on my face

2000 Spectra Blue Mica - under development

For more info, have a look at my build thread

shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:58 am

Copper.
When I last changed the plugs after a year they were still absolutely fine. So 6 months would be taking the proverbial haha

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Reader's Ride link

shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:55 pm

Put in some colder plugs. Wasn't going to change mine but figured, why not.
These came out.

Running a bit rich and cyl2 showing some signs of wear. Could be rings, could be seals. Still look okImage

UPDATE : The engine sound has changed. It sounds a little less muffled and got a bit of my lost TTE burble back. Could be the ecu reset I did but it pulls like a frickin train.

I seem to be making tiny little improvements every time and making little gains here and there. The NA tuning game isn't so boring :)
Reader's Ride link

shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:51 pm

Still no ill effects of the colder plugs.
Really shouldn't need it, and to be fair it ran very well without them. But it has changed the engine note a bit. I wonder if it's worse or better as far as actual combustion :)
I guess I'll never know until I pull these plugs.
Reader's Ride link

jonbill

Postby jonbill » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:51 pm

What are you hoping the colder plugs will do?

shnazzle

Re: RE: Re: My Sable 2005 MR2 - shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:18 pm

jonbill wrote:What are you hoping the colder plugs will do?

Nothing. Just experimenting
Reader's Ride link

shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Thu May 04, 2017 10:10 am

When the new throttle body went in the WOT voltage changed for my open loop trickery. Was only sending 88%. Pulled well and fueled well but figured, do it right. So I upped the voltage and noticeably lost power and fueling went off again. So put it back to 88% and all was good again. Odd. I guess the 88% throttle part of the Toyota map is a particularly strong area :)
Reader's Ride link

shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Fri May 12, 2017 6:09 pm

Not bad for a 12 year old car that sees a lot of high revs.

Cylinder 1

Cylinder 2

Cylinder 3

Cylinder 4
Reader's Ride link

shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Tue May 16, 2017 10:49 pm

Added some "fun fueling" to my map to promote some pops and bangs on overrun :)... Just for fun hehehe.
It's gotta be done.
Is it good? No.
Is it efficient? No.
Does it make me smile?...every damn time
Reader's Ride link

Redjay

Postby Redjay » Fri May 19, 2017 10:08 am

shnazzle wrote:Still no ill effects of the colder plugs.
Really shouldn't need it, and to be fair it ran very well without them. But it has changed the engine note a bit. I wonder if it's worse or better as far as actual combustion :)
I guess I'll never know until I pull these plugs.

If you don't mind me asking which colder plugs did you put in? It's been suggested to me that I should put colder plugs in too.

shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Fri May 19, 2017 6:17 pm

NGK BKR6E is what I put in.
Stock is BKR5.

Who suggested going colder?
It's really not necessary on stock or even N/A modified.
Having said that, you're going turbo right? Then the BKR6E or BKR7E will be the way forward
Reader's Ride link

Redjay

Postby Redjay » Sun May 21, 2017 7:36 am

Shnazzle - My mechanic friend who's helping with the install made the recommendation. Hence he knows more about cars than I do, but not necessarily as much about turboing a '2' as some of the members on the board. I'll add the plugs to the shopping list.

Thanks

RJ

shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Tue May 23, 2017 8:44 am

More to tinkering occurred before work. Uploaded the new map with 6% fueling at 0% throttle from 3k rpm onwards.
Then drove to work,warmed the car up had fun. No more slow-down when shifting gears :) Drives like an auto box now. Smooooooth power delivery
Reader's Ride link

jvanzyl

Postby jvanzyl » Tue May 23, 2017 8:48 am

When you do your installation on mine - do I get to choose between "smooth" or "over run" fun?
01 Silver 1ZZ

shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Tue May 23, 2017 3:03 pm

You're getting the lumpy bumpy over fueling map
Reader's Ride link

jvanzyl

Postby jvanzyl » Tue May 23, 2017 3:46 pm

shnazzle wrote:You're getting the lumpy bumpy over fueling map

LOL.. that reminds me... I need to find my "switch" that I bought for it...
01 Silver 1ZZ

shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Tue May 23, 2017 4:28 pm

jvanzyl wrote:
shnazzle wrote:You're getting the lumpy bumpy over fueling map

LOL.. that reminds me... I need to find my "switch" that I bought for it...

Ah yeah! Looking forward to seeing that
Reader's Ride link

CrazySX

Postby CrazySX » Tue May 23, 2017 5:29 pm

The only benefit of using a colder plug is to avoid pre-ignition. This would happen in a turbo engine or where the engine maybe running super lean? The plugs would get so hot they would glow red and cause detention where the fuel ignites due to the red heat of the plug (rather than spark) before it is supposed to. Don't really see the benefit in an N.A. motor. The difference is probably due to the fact the plugs are clean ;)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Tue May 23, 2017 5:45 pm

CrazySX wrote:The only benefit of using a colder plug is to avoid pre-ignition. This would happen in a turbo engine or where the engine maybe running super lean? The plugs would get so hot they would glow red and cause detention where the fuel ignites due to the red heat of the plug (rather than spark) before it is supposed to. Don't really see the benefit in an N.A. motor. The difference is probably due to the fact the plugs are clean ;)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Indeed. I knew the theory. I had the plugs in house (ordered for Helen's car but ended up needing even colder plugs for hers) so figured give it a try :) I did a service on my car so figured a plug change, even if colder, wouldn't so any harm.
As I said,it ran smashing beforehand.
Reader's Ride link

shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:50 pm

Swapped back to a stock engine lid. Now to decide what spoiler I want.

Took a little video of the Hurricane sucking in air at idle. It's quite loud.

https://youtu.be/cGnfwVR4Qcc
Reader's Ride link

shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:15 pm

Passed MOT. It was a proper clencher but somehow it got through emissions first time! No problem.

Last year it took two attempts, a bottle of Cataclean and a hard blast.
You'd think my knackered cat would be more knackered this year.

Anyhoo... Happy days.

Bit surprised that my rear Yokos are already down to 2mm.
Reader's Ride link

Return to “Reader's Rides”