Being as amazing as we are, the Committee has decided we've outgrown our hosting, so we'll be moving to a more capable host with more capacity and space soon! Stay tuned for the down time.

Hello from Herne Bay Kent

Welcome to the MR2 Roadster Owners Club

New members are encouraged to introduce yourselves here, say a bit about yourselves, and ask any questions you feel you need answers too. Once you have spent a bit of time here and made yourself comfortable then please move to the regular forums.
This is how to host a pic on MR2ROC
Forum rules
Normal Forum rules apply with the addition that no flaming will be permitted what-so-ever. This area is set up to allow new members to introduce themselves and familiarise themselves.
Krissiesherwood
OBD2 Code Reader?: No

Postby Krissiesherwood » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:18 pm

Hi, I am just introducing myself, Krissie from Kent. Just on my 3rd MR2, first Roadster though. :bounce:
Krissie sherwood

s12vea
OBD2 Code Reader?: Yes

Re: Hello from Herne Bay Kent

Postby s12vea » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:32 pm

Welcome congrats on your 3rd mr2
6R4 Forest Green TTE Turbo

**** Boosting around Colchester ****

My MR2's .... viewtopic.php?f=9&t=41408&p=487898#
Project Greeny ---- viewtopic.php?f=88&t=56471

delhusband

Postby delhusband » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:33 pm

Hi welcome! 3 eh, lucky you :)
'06 Silver FL - Vanilla, skinny half sugar. (modless stock 1ZZ, -precats, +blitz lm panel filter)
Readers ride:http://mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=62450&sid=069c764a710cd192b0aa8bac145c2536

bernie11a
MR2ROC Chairman

Postby bernie11a » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:26 pm

Welcome along congrats on your choice, you won't be disappointed in the twisties which is where the Roadster excels :-)
Current - Black 2004 N/A 171BHP

Prev - 2003 Black - 2001 Silver SMT

Readers Ride. viewtopic.php?f=88&t=56481

Krissiesherwood

Postby Krissiesherwood » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:22 pm

Thank you Bernie11a, I am not sure how to navigate this site correctly, I'm looking for advice with the sticking break calipper,
which I had trouble with last Wednesday. Tried to post message on here, asking for any advice, but it asked me for recipient
which I don't know yet. Any ideas on how I can ask others? Bearing in mind I don't know anyone's names yet?
Thank you, krissiesherwood
Krissie sherwood

Krissiesherwood

Postby Krissiesherwood » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:36 pm

Hi everyone. I purchased my roadster a month ago and it had 11 months mot, but after 2weeks smoke started coming from the n.s front wheel, I called the AA & he took wheel off & piston complety out before cleaning it & putting it back. After bleeding the brakes and topping the fluid up, he followed me home to make sure I got back ok, & advised I don't drive it again untill it's had new calipper & pads. The brake pads were renewed only 2months ago, the AA man also said they were new. I have driven it just round the block a few times & it seems fine, no heat in the rim, so I wondering if it is dangerous to drive incase it happens again, & locks up, I didn't really want to spend out a couple of hundred quid again so soon after buying it. Had to get new battery fitted, and new master key, as it only came with one. I have had 2 MR2's before & never came across this problem. I've read other forums where people advise getting both done & possibly handbrake too. Can anyone please offer any advise? It would be greatly appreciated . Thank you.
Krissie sherwood

shnazzle
MR2ROC Affiliates & Moderators Manager

Postby shnazzle » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:29 pm

Hi Krissie! Welcome!
I suspect you tried to send a "pm" (private message) to someone before, hence the request for a recipient.

But you've posted correctly now.

Sticky calipers eh? Oddly enough I've just 2 days ago spent a few hours on the drive fixing mine.
However it sounds like yours might be more handbrake related. Also quite common.

The handbrake cables can seize up in their sheaths, which causes your brakes to stay on.

No need to spend hundreds. Very few of us get brand new parts from Toyota.

If it is the calipers, there are 3 options:
New from Toyota (expensive), refurbed from TCB (see our Affiliates section in the Marketplace for contact details), or try a 2nd hand caliper from a breaker. We have two good ones registered as Affiliate breakers in the Marketplace.
2005 Sable MR2 ...neutiquam erro. Honorary wearer of Pants of Shame 2015, for TWOCing
Reader's Ride link

Krissiesherwood

Postby Krissiesherwood » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:46 pm

Thank you very much, can you tell me if I would know if it was handbrake related, or would I have to put it into a garage to check it out? The seller said it's had the handbrake tightened to pass mot. It is quite high too. I have not noticed anything odd when driving it though, just worried about parking it on a hill.
Thanks for your advice, it's very much appreciated.
Krissie sherwood

Fin

Postby Fin » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:36 pm

If it's the near side front, it won't have anything to do with the handbrake. That's on the rears, and cable activated.
The Sun is out, the sky is blue,
The roof is down on my MR2,
And I'm grinning, grinning ear to ear!

Krissiesherwood

Postby Krissiesherwood » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:28 pm

Okay, that's good news. One less thing to have to worry about. Just taken it for a quick spin up the Thanet Way, only about 6miles there and back, checked the offending wheel, and no heat coming from the wheel rim. All seems normal, don't want to speak to soon though, how do you think I would know if it needs a new calipper, would I have to wait for it to 'smoke' again ?
Krissie sherwood

paulj

Postby paulj » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:17 pm

Welcome

Use the search box at the top of the site and you will find lots of threads about handbrakes, our cars don't have a great history with them. I was adjusting mine yesterday - loosen cable adjuster fully off, pump foot brake lots of times, retighten adjuster. That might fix your high lever without too much trouble and without taking wheels and calipers off. If it doesn't, you will end up getting all personal with the calipers!

The adjuster is under the centre console in the car - just mentioned as I think it was under the car in the earlier marques.

Have fun!!
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Krissiesherwood

Postby Krissiesherwood » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:33 pm

Thanks paulj', I noticed there was something missing from the centre of the handbrake console, so I poked my fingers inside and found a small black little cover, just the size as the hole! So I managed to poke it out and fit it back into the gap. I guess it has been taken out before to adjust it. Thanks for that anyway. I will have a go at finding out about the n.s calipper. How do I know if I need a new one fitted.
lots to learn. Many thanks.
Krissie sherwood

Return to “Welcome to New Members, please introduce yourselves”