Teaser: New forum is installed... ;) .....You just can't have access to it yet...
Next steps: Moving all the styling and fixes done over the past few weeks over to the new location. and then doing the data move, and then fixing the broken data
Almost, folks!

Tricky Tyre decision - and against the all 4 rule.

Anything to do with improving the handling or performance. PLEASE NOTE: The club in no way endorses speeding on Public Roads, and would encourage all members to act responsibly regardless of their power outputs.
Forum rules
The club in no way endorses speeding on Public Roads, and would encourage all members to act responsibly regardless of their power outputs. Posting containing evidence of misbehaviour will be moderated or removed
Roadster150
OBD2 Code Reader?: No

Tricky Tyre decision - and against the all 4 rule.

Postby Roadster150 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:19 pm

After an initial intro-post been getting out there and enjoying the car - but now, my first dilemma with the Mr.

When I first got it the rear Bridgestones (standard fit facelift) needed replacing due to age cracking. After weighing up that the fronts (also standard fit Bridgestones) had loads of tread left I opted to stick with the Bridgestones. The new rears now have barely 2k on them.

However...

I've now noticed the fronts have developed age cracks too and looking at the manufacture date, no surprise - they're 2010!

So, I've got a problem. Replacing the rears right now isn't an option so I'm going to have to go mismatched front to rear for the time being. But what to put on the front?

Keeping standard tyre size / specs options seem to be:
uniroyal rainsport 3
Conti Premium Contact 5
Avon ZV5
Falkan Ziek
Hankook (a few options, but some XL)
Yoko (the awesome ones!)
- any I've missed?

Toyos are not an option, I've used them a few times on other cars before and always found them too 'soft' on turn in.

What would you go for? And any advice on life of any of the above brands/types on the front - no track days, fast-road and touring use only. I was leaning toward the uniroyals but am concerned about the sidewall strength.

Ta,
David

KTM_RIDER

Re: Tricky Tyre decision - and against the all 4 rule.

Postby KTM_RIDER » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:28 pm

If the cracking is only fairly light then in the short term I would not be personally too concerned about it.

Cracking between the tread is a pretty common issue on tyres with otherwise good tread depth (especially on the rear on FWD cars) that seems to regularly get missed by MOT testers (in other words there are alot of cars driving around out there with the same issue).

Sidewall cracks are a different matter altogether - have seen tyres that collapsed due to this.

2010 ? - Wish my tyres were that young. FYI tyre industry guidance is tyres should be replaced by 10 years old (plenty aren't). here's a pic of one of my 2008 rear Potenzas

Alan

2003 Blue FL / 2003 Red FL / 2000 Blue PFL
Fabia 1.4TDI PD / KTM 390 Duke / KTM 640 Duke 2

Roadster150

Postby Roadster150 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:37 pm

I wish my fronts were that good :( (will try and get a picture up).

Not sure how I missed it when the rears were replaced? I know the car did very little mileage last year, maybe a sudden increase in usage?

KTM_RIDER

Postby KTM_RIDER » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:50 pm

Roadster150 wrote:I wish my fronts were that good :(

Ah, well in that case, replacement is probably the best option.

So, sorry for not really helping very much :)
Alan

ChrisGB
Forum Moderator
OBD2 Code Reader?: Yes

Postby ChrisGB » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:07 pm

Any reason why not replace with matching Bridgestones?
When I am in charge, things will be different.

Updated MR2 page (Now with added V6 goodness)

KTM_RIDER

Postby KTM_RIDER » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:11 pm

ChrisGB wrote:Any reason why not replace with matching Bridgestones?

apparently no longer available for front (RE040)
Alan

ChrisGB
Forum Moderator

Postby ChrisGB » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:12 pm

KTM_RIDER wrote:
ChrisGB wrote:Any reason why not replace with matching Bridgestones?

apparently no longer available for front (RE040)

Just saw that on the Bridgestone website. Worth trawling around for warehouse stock though.
When I am in charge, things will be different.

Updated MR2 page (Now with added V6 goodness)

KTM_RIDER

Postby KTM_RIDER » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:27 pm

seems to have been an issue for well over a year........

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=58307
Alan

The Other Stu

Postby The Other Stu » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:30 pm

The two on eBay are still there.....
At a guess, they'll be 2014 stock like mine.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272789825259
Facelift Blue MR2 - My Readers Ride: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=58890
Now with added Blue Running Lights (oops) :shock:

1979scotte

Postby 1979scotte » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:39 am

If Bridgestone no longer available and T1R aren't your thing then fallen ze914 are a good budget choice.
The Uniroyal Rainsports are good tyres but for me I only run Yoko AD08R.

Also can't agree about 10 years old being ok.
Maybe for your family wagon but not for your mid engined rear wheel drive sports car.
Unless you drive like my granny.
INAUGURAL NUMB BUM WINNER 2015
Perry Byrnes Memorial Winner 2015
I am the Bee6 Holder

s12vea

Postby s12vea » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:00 am

I would replace all four for peace of mind. Had in the past toyo and currently got falken 914 with no complaints on either.
6R4 Forest Green TTE Turbo
576 Sahara Yellow + Hardtop

**** Boosting around Colchester ****

My MR2's .... viewtopic.php?f=9&t=41408&p=487898#
Project Greeny ---- viewtopic.php?f=88&t=56471

Topdownman

Postby Topdownman » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:06 am

Depends how you drive and what you want from the car.

If its a cost issue about not changing all 4 together then the only option is to have 2 new ones of the make you ultimately want to end up with. The rears probably wear twice as quick as the fronts so its often a problem when changing tyre brand.

Its perfectly possible to drive with mixed tyres on front and rears, it just wont be as good and will probably require more restraint!
"Racing" tax disc holder binned, Poundland air freshener. ran out, Annoying cylinder deficiency sorted.

KTM_RIDER

Postby KTM_RIDER » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:05 pm

1979scotte wrote:Also can't agree about 10 years old being ok.
Maybe for your family wagon but not for your mid engined rear wheel drive sports car.
Unless you drive like my granny.

Well at the risk of sounding pedantic I don't think anyone has actually said 10 years old is ok, I said that the advice from the tyre industry is that once a tyre is 10 years old it should be replaced :)

Done about 800 miles in my new 2 on 9 year old Potenzas. Didn't feel that great at first, (and I was going to get them straight off for a set of Avons) but putting the rears up to 36 has made quite a difference.

Just come back from a spirited drive (on a very twisty but SMOOTH road) and car felt pretty great :)

I don't doubt the car would feel a fair bit better on new rubber (particularly on rougher roads) but in terms of grip I can't really fault them. Rear tyres aren't that far off 2mm now anyway at which point i'll be going AD08R.
Alan

Roadster150

Postby Roadster150 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:21 pm

Thanks for all the info so far - tyre city in walsall do seem to list the RE040 fronts and I've dropped them a line but no response yet. Sure I remember reading on here of a member with Bridgestone S001 on the front on the RE040 on the back, so not sure if that will be an option.

Alternatively, whilst they won't be the same tread pattern, would I be right in thinking I should be looking for something with similar behaviour/grip characteristics - or better? My understanding is that, if better, it should be strong in the dry but need a little more caution in the wet (which being midengined should be shown anyway?) due to the potential for oversteer?

Thanks all - keep the insights and recommendations coming!
David

BahnStormer

Postby BahnStormer » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:58 pm

not sure if they'd be good match, but I put all 4 on a month ago: the AD08R's... very tidy, very predictable and highly recommended!
ZZW30, '07(MY05): factory AC + heated seats, Pioneer TS-E171ci Components + MVH-390BT mini HU, Osram NB+LED, Yoko AD08R's all-around :D
In progress: hardtop search :?
Researching: Zero 4-2-2 manifold, filters, Mohair hood.

Roadster150

Postby Roadster150 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:48 pm

Thanks for all the feedback -

I've read on here previously about running the front 15 inch wheels with either 195/50/15 or 205/50/15. The former seem to throw up a lot of really interesting options on places like camskill.

Would either of these be an ok match with the standard 215/45/16 size on the rear or will it mess with the stagger - can't quite get my head around if the stagger is height or width based! :crazyeyes:

Ta,
D

KTM_RIDER

Postby KTM_RIDER » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:45 pm

Width based - meaning wider rear than front tyres.

Pre 2003 cars came with a 20mm difference (185 front 205 rear) so running 195 and 215 should be fine, especially as you are on 16" rears (pre 2003 were 15" all round) which gives a greater tyre contact patch.
Alan

BahnStormer

Postby BahnStormer » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:46 am

Yoko AD08R's are great.... not sure what the handling would be like with those on the front and something much older / less sticky on the rear.

The problem you'll have with any decent tyres, especially if they're like the Yoko's and especially good in the wet, is that you might think that the front is hooked up very nicely in a corner and that you've still got loads of grip, but as you start to accelerate through the apex the back lets go with very little warning.

It was that concern about consistent changes in behaviour (with temperature / water / surface) that meant I went with all 4.
ZZW30, '07(MY05): factory AC + heated seats, Pioneer TS-E171ci Components + MVH-390BT mini HU, Osram NB+LED, Yoko AD08R's all-around :D
In progress: hardtop search :?
Researching: Zero 4-2-2 manifold, filters, Mohair hood.

shnazzle
MR2ROC Affiliates & Moderators Manager

Postby shnazzle » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:36 am

It'll be fine as long as you don't expect the car to communicate well when doing a bit of "spirited" driving.
Two different tyres will have different properties, levels of progressiveness, limits, water-expulsion, etc
So just day to day it'll be smashing as long as you have two good makes across the axels.
I'd opt for the sticky ones at the back. Understeer is always safer.
2005 Sable MR2 ...neutiquam erro. Honorary wearer of Pants of Shame 2015, for TWOCing
Reader's Ride link

Wabbitkilla
MR2ROC Alumnus

Postby Wabbitkilla » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:08 am

Regardless of the legalities or MOT tests, tyres are what keep you safely on the road.
If they're 4 years old the rubber is hard and getting rapidly worse.
if they're cracking that's proof the rubber is beyond life and needs replacing.

If you have an accident then your injuries are your problem, other peoples injuries and lives you affect should hang heavily on your conscience.

I appreciate the cost situation and Toyo's don't suit everyone.
Some good alternatives have been suggested, i encourage you to take advantage of those peoples' experience
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from.
Azure Blue Lotus Elise S1
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Starlight Black S2 Elise 111S

Former holder of the red beast, plenty of years of happy motoring
MR2ROC Chairman 2009-2013
Please note I am no longer admin .... it was fun while it lasted, and this is still a brilliant club .... but I've moved on

Roadster150

Postby Roadster150 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:17 pm

I'd meant to update this but have been moving house (in a Yaris and Mr2...).

Chillired gave me a bit of feedback on the Bridgestone S001 they were running on the front so gave them a punt. Good price from Tyre leader, terrible delivery! But, they're on and getting better with every drive.Pleased I got the old RE040's off the front, the cracking was much worse then on first glance. Shame as they still had a lot of tread.

So, initial impressions - I'm not in a ditch / hedge / fireball. :mrgreen:

Initial 'bite' on is much more positive and 'clean' - if that makes sense. Still getting the feel of back and front working together at very low speed tight stuff and in the wet, but at a quicker pace seems very together and fluid.

Thanks again for all the feedback guys, I did look at the options of a set of all four of something else, but with the rears being barely 2000 miles in / less than 6 months old - and the aforementioned bricks and mortar bleeding me dry - money was a factor this time.

Next time, all four will be matching though - save this faff. Best get wearing them down. :D

Ardent

Postby Ardent » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:25 pm

Best get wearing them down. :D
Thats the spirit

Return to “Performance Related”