2018 Calendar now available in chit chat section

Member Pruning

StuC
OBD2 Code Reader?: Yes

Re: Member Pruning

Postby StuC » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:10 pm

Even if 10% of those responded to a pm, Stew's inbox would be trashed!!
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Treboeth
Forum Moderator

Postby Treboeth » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:18 pm

StuC wrote:Even if 10% of those responded to a pm, Stew's inbox would be trashed!!

Not sure why they would be inboxing me :wink:

But agree with you anyway.
AmeR » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:50 pm
The Mrs had an idea the other day to lose the bonnet and turn the frunk into a seat for our pooch!! All that would be needed is a harness and some goggles!! :lol:

shnazzle
MR2ROC Affiliates & Moderators Manager

Postby shnazzle » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:33 pm

Suggestion noted. Duly ignored. We have lives. If people all of sudden show interest after 2 years, they can re-register.
2005 Sable MR2 ...neutiquam erro. Honorary wearer of Pants of Shame 2015, for TWOCing
Reader's Ride link

Treboeth
Forum Moderator

Postby Treboeth » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:50 pm

shnazzle wrote:Suggestion noted. Duly ignored. We have lives. If people all of sudden show interest after 2 years, they can re-register.

And we appreciate you guys&gals dedicate a fair chunk to us already :bowdown:
AmeR » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:50 pm
The Mrs had an idea the other day to lose the bonnet and turn the frunk into a seat for our pooch!! All that would be needed is a harness and some goggles!! :lol:

shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:02 pm

Cheers :)
Fact of the matter is, this is a club. A club is founded on active members who contribute.
If you don't log in for almost 2 years and have never contributed more than 10 posts before that, you're not really interested in the club.
We hope these people can come (back) to us as active members, but are realistic in our expectations of ever seeing these people again.
2005 Sable MR2 ...neutiquam erro. Honorary wearer of Pants of Shame 2015, for TWOCing
Reader's Ride link

StuC

Postby StuC » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:05 pm

Most of us are prolly guilty of becoming a member of a forum to access nuggets (not the food) of information.

I know I did when we had a Mazda... (wait for it)... 323F. Guys got me back on the road and I haven't been back since.

shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:09 pm

Totally agree. I think that's what sets strong clubs apart from weaker ones.

Strong ones can offer quality and timely info along with a great group/club experience.
I really loved SeatCupra.net as well for the same reason. People you would happily meet up with. A couple have become good friends long after we've sold up.
Same goes for mr2roc (I hope!).

But then I'm a total mr2roc fan boy so I'm biased haha
Reader's Ride link

Jock

Postby Jock » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:52 am

Fair enough. Not knowing the extent of the work/time involved, could it be a builtin membership termination if inactive for say 6 months in the first year?
This would keep the membership fresh. Bit like a pay as you go sim?

bernie11a
MR2ROC Chairman
OBD2 Code Reader?: No

Member Pruning

Postby bernie11a » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:45 am

The membership pruning is in effect our built in membership termination mechanism we are not going to PM 2,500 members we actually have lives outside of the Club too
No post or log on for 2 years is a reasonable stance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - Black 2004 N/A 171BHP

Prev - 2003 Black - 2001 Silver SMT

Readers Ride. viewtopic.php?f=88&t=56481

Jrichards20

Postby Jrichards20 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:51 am

I've done the same on a few other forums, signed up for a few bits and then never been back. If I ever need to go back I wont remember my login or password anyway so will just re register. If your deactivating members that have less than 10 post count none of them will have contributed any really information to the forum and therefore it would cause them no issues to sign up again.
2005 Black - MR2 Roadster
2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO
2000 Red - MR2 Roadster
Lotus Elise S2 - Silver
2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster
Street Triple 765 RS :mrgreen:

Stewart@Boro
MR2ROC Club Secretary & Treasurer

Postby Stewart@Boro » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:57 am

Thanks for the debate folks.
Think it was a bit of a shock at the number this time as previous pruning had resulted in about 1000+ accounts been closed.
Since introducing the "reason for joining" box in the new registrations I have been aware that of the 40 to 50 new accounts per week about two thirds are owners and the rest are mainly browsing or looking to buy which must make up the majority of accounts that go.

Also the posts made by closed accounts do not disappear so their small contribution is not lost, unless we want it to be :wink:
TF 160, TTE Exhaust and style bar, and other shiny bits.

theredone

Postby theredone » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:12 pm

Jock wrote:....... termination .......

jock, what has happened to your lovely avatar :?: :( :( :(

theredone

Postby theredone » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:26 pm

never mind the avatar, anyone know what has happened to jock ? not been heard from since oct 16 nor sighted since april 17.

Stewart@Boro

Postby Stewart@Boro » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:18 am

This years pruning has been done.
All members who have not logged on since Dec 2014 and made less than 2 posts have gone.
Resulted in about 700 been zapped

2 of the left

Postby 2 of the left » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:47 pm

You had better keep me in the fold - I glean so much information from you guys, when attending to probs with my two 2's - Not that there are many probs - I guess I have two of the class that are above the rest on the road!! :D :D :bounce: :bounce:
MR2 Mk 3 Laguna Blue(8M6) - Pre-Facelift ( Likwidart Art Logos) + MR2 Mk3 - RED Edition - Sable (Phantom Grey Pearl)- Facelift

KTM_RIDER

Postby KTM_RIDER » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:09 am

2 of the left wrote:You had better keep me in the fold

As it would appear that you are the 62nd most prolific poster out of 5053 current members that would be a pretty hardcore cull if you were out (unless it was being done on different criteria - e.g. erm, individual merit :wink: ).

Alan

2003 Blue FL / 2003 Red FL / 2000 Blue PFL
Fabia 1.4TDI PD / KTM 390 Duke / KTM 640 Duke 2

2 of the left

Postby 2 of the left » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:20 am

Keep me on the list!! When I have a little niggle - I always refer to the forum - Not that I have many niggles - but it's good to have you guys there for advice!!- My earlier post didn't show when I first submitted it - So now I have two showing!!
MR2 Mk 3 Laguna Blue(8M6) - Pre-Facelift ( Likwidart Art Logos) + MR2 Mk3 - RED Edition - Sable (Phantom Grey Pearl)- Facelift

Enjay
OBD2 Code Reader?: No

Postby Enjay » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:24 pm

It's not unusual for people to sign up to a forum and make a post or two (perhaps to ask a question) and then never return once their reason for visiting is gone. On car websites, people usually move on once they no longer have the relevant car.

2014 (obviously) was three years ago. My reading of "All members who have not logged on since Dec 2014 and made less than 2 posts have gone" is that a person has to have not posted anything for three years and only have a total of 2 or fewer posts before they get culled. That seems like a reasonable set of criteria to clear out a few redundant accounts whilst making it very unlikely to prune an active (even rarely so) user.

I don't know how much difficulty having a bunch of redundant accounts causes (I know a number of forums who have many thousand such accounts) but if the admins here feel it's neater to prune them, so be it. If someone gets accidentally pruned, it's not a major problem to create a new account and it may even be possible for the admins to resurrect or maybe just rename (or something) a new account to look like an old one for the user in question.

In other words, it seems fair enough to me. :)

KTM_RIDER

Postby KTM_RIDER » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:28 pm

Enjay wrote: My reading of "All members who have not logged on since Dec 2014 and made less than 2 posts have gone" is that a person has to have not posted anything for three years and only have a total of 2 or fewer posts before they get culled. That seems like a reasonable set of criteria to clear out a few redundant accounts whilst making it very unlikely to prune an active (even rarely so) user.

I think your interpretation would be pretty reasonable, however it is even more reasonable than that. I noticed there are some accounts with 1 or zero posts dating back to the early days of the forum. At first I wondered if they had been missed, but they haven't. They are still there because they have logged on in the last 3 years, but not actually posted.

e.g. Rande. made 1 post in 2003 :) , but logged on this year. I noticed Rande (and some other members that fit this pattern) is in the U.S. so maybe they are active on spyderchat and just dip the toe in the water over here now and again (as i'm sure some of us do with Spyderchat).
Alan

2003 Blue FL / 2003 Red FL / 2000 Blue PFL
Fabia 1.4TDI PD / KTM 390 Duke / KTM 640 Duke 2

Stewart@Boro

Postby Stewart@Boro » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:37 pm

The vast majority of those that get deactivated have never posted or logged on since they registered. I wish I could tell those that were going to do that as it would save me a lot of time going through the process of checking their credentials before approving the account in the first place. I reckon on average it comes to a dozen a week :( and that doesn't count the spammers, who I manage to bin(most of the time :D )

If I had brains i'd be designing the new forum with Patrick :lol:

StuC

Postby StuC » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:13 am

Someone has to be backstop Stew. I for one, am glad it is you. ;-)

I did notice that I have recently been knocked off the number 3 spot by the young Patrick.

onion86
Forum Moderator

Postby onion86 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:47 am

StuC wrote:I did notice that I have recently been knocked off the number 3 spot by the young Patrick.

I'm 27th now :o Slipped down a lot in recent years, I should get posting some more!
Sable 55 C-One C2 Turbo MR2 - A/C, Black Heated Leather, Alloy HVAC Knobs, SP MSMB, Eibach Springs, ROCLinks, Ultra Racing ARBs, Pagid Discs/Yellowstuff Pads, HEL Brake Hoses, TRD Front Strut Brace, TRD Short-Shifter, 17" Ultra Light Split Rims, Dev's Keyhole Covers, Stainless Sills, Mongos
ex - Black '00 C-One MR-S Turbo - 'Amaya'
My Fuel Consumption

Return to “Club Announcements”