Teaser: New forum is installed... ;) .....You just can't have access to it yet...
Next steps: Moving all the styling and fixes done over the past few weeks over to the new location. and then doing the data move, and then fixing the broken data
Almost, folks!

Speed sensitive power steering?

All non MR2 related discussions.

** Whilst this forum is moderated for personal attacks, reasonable usage of strong language is allowed. Please be aware of this when viewing. Any views expressed within this forum do not necessarily represent the views of the club. Advocation of any illegal activity will not be tolerated, and will be subject to moderation **

Posts older than 365 days will be automatically removed.
steveash
OBD2 Code Reader?: No

Speed sensitive power steering?

Postby steveash » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:00 pm

I was reading the old Evo comparison of MR2, Elise and Boxster that someone had posted and it mentioned that the MR2 has speed sensitive power steering. Is this right? It would seem rather unnecessary and I have heard no other mention of it. I just thought I'd check as my old Audi S4 had this and benefitted from a neat mod where you could pull the relay and remove the very light over-assistance at low speeds. Pretty sure the article is wrong but thought I'd check with those more knowledgeable than myself.

ColleyV8

Re: Speed sensitive power steering?

Postby ColleyV8 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:03 pm

the electric power steering should reduce assistance at higher speeds. one the inputs to the motor electrics

steveash

Postby steveash » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:29 pm

Interesting. On the Audi the default level of assistance was the lowest level (ie the amount you get at 70mph) but pulling the relay meant you got this level of assistance all the time even at 1mph which increased the level of steering feedback at low to medium speeds considerably. I'm going to have to go through the fuse box and do some experimenting now! I somehow doubt I could be the first to think of this so it probably isn't possible without an electrical engineering degree.

ColleyV8

Postby ColleyV8 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:11 pm

if you pull the green relay. you won't have any powesteering.

I think it is the middle connector that has the speed sensor connected to it on the pump

Return to “Chit-chat & Gossip”