!!!!!!!!!!
The board is having some issues.
Please be patient. We're investigating. In the meantime, if it takes a bit longer to post your text, wait a bit to prevent double posting.

Thought for the day!

All non MR2 related discussions.

** Whilst this forum is moderated for personal attacks, reasonable usage of strong language is allowed. Please be aware of this when viewing. Any views expressed within this forum do not necessarily represent the views of the club. Advocation of any illegal activity will not be tolerated, and will be subject to moderation **

Posts older than 365 days will be automatically removed.
Carolyn
OBD2 Code Reader?: Yes

Re: Thought for the day!

Postby Carolyn » Fri May 12, 2017 9:36 am

Joesson wrote:11 May 1924 Mercedes-Benz is formed by Gottlieb Daimler and Karl Benz, merging the two companies.

So good they made songs about it!:

Oh lord won’t you buy me a Mercedes Benz.
My friends all drive porsches, I must make amends.
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends.
So oh lord won’t you buy me a Mercedes Benz…
Joplin Janis – Mercedes Benz lyrics

I don' t believe anyone got a Mercedes Benz by praying for it, God helps those that help themselves.

Janis' version was a cover of a Bessie Smith song..
Ignorance is somebody else not knowing that which I learned yesterday

Joesson
OBD2 Code Reader?: No

Postby Joesson » Sat May 13, 2017 6:50 am

13 May 1950 British Grand Prix/1950 Grand Prix of Europe was a Formula One motor race held at the Silverstone Circuit in Silverstone, England. It was the first World Championship Formula One race in the modern era, as well as the fifth British Grand Prix, and the third to be held at Silverstone after motor racing resumed after World War II. It was race 1 of 7 in the 1950 World Championship of Drivers.

The 70-lap race was won by Giuseppe Farina for the Alfa Romeo team, Luigi Fagioli finished second in another Alfa Romeo, and Reg Parnell third in a third Alfa Romeo.
Much like now, one team seems to come to dominance (for a while).

13 May 1958, the Velcro trademark was registered for a fabric hook and loop fastener.

Like the motor racing Velcro seems to have caught on.

Joesson

Postby Joesson » Sun May 14, 2017 9:54 am

As a Nation we are not alone in spending vast amounts of money investing in military defence, anti terrorist systems, and protecting our data and PIN 's and passwords and embracing the " paperless" office idea which all works generally fine until we have a power cut or some malicious geek or worse decides to play at being a Cyber Lord and b-gg-rs up everyone's day.
It makes me WannaCry!

Joesson

Postby Joesson » Mon May 15, 2017 9:09 am

Born 15 May 1863; died 21 Sep 1936 at age 73
English inventor and manufacturer who patented the Meccano construction set in 1901. This toy used perforated metal strips, wheels, roods, brackets, clips and assembly nuts and bolts to build unlimited numbers of models. His original sets, marketed as "Mechanics Made Easy" produced in a rented room, were initially sold at only one Liverpool toy shop. By 1908, he had formed his company, Meccano Ltd., and within five more years had established manufacturing in France, Germany, Spain and the U.S. He introduced Hornby model trains in 1920, originally clockwork and eventually electrically powered with tracks and scale replicas of associated buildings. The "Dinky" range of miniature cars and other motor vehicles was added in 1933.

Probably the reason for many taking up mechanical engineering professionally or as tinkerers, not sure what Lego bricks would inspire a youngster towards.

jonbill

Postby jonbill » Mon May 15, 2017 9:56 am

Joesson wrote:Born 15 May 1863; died 21 Sep 1936 at age 73
English inventor and manufacturer who patented the Meccano construction set in 1901. This toy used perforated metal strips, wheels, roods, brackets, clips and assembly nuts and bolts to build unlimited numbers of models. His original sets, marketed as "Mechanics Made Easy" produced in a rented room, were initially sold at only one Liverpool toy shop. By 1908, he had formed his company, Meccano Ltd., and within five more years had established manufacturing in France, Germany, Spain and the U.S. He introduced Hornby model trains in 1920, originally clockwork and eventually electrically powered with tracks and scale replicas of associated buildings. The "Dinky" range of miniature cars and other motor vehicles was added in 1933.

Probably the reason for many taking up mechanical engineering professionally or as tinkerers, not sure what Lego bricks would inspire a youngster towards.

What was his name?

Carolyn

Postby Carolyn » Mon May 15, 2017 10:11 am

Frank.

jonbill

Postby jonbill » Mon May 15, 2017 10:35 am

Mr Frank?

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Mon May 15, 2017 11:30 am

jonbill wrote:Mr Frank?

He also made trains
Frank Hornby

Carolyn

Postby Carolyn » Mon May 15, 2017 11:36 am

Jonbill... someone is extracting the urine, methinks.

Joesson

Postby Joesson » Mon May 15, 2017 11:39 am

Indeed ''twas Frank Hornby, he made Meccano construction sets, clockwork trains and later electric trains and Dinky toys.
Perhaps I was lucky or " spoiled" as a child because I had a selection of all of them.
The trains and Dinky toys are now collectors items and good examples attract good prices, mine were well used and then passed onto my nephews.

jonbill

Postby jonbill » Mon May 15, 2017 2:45 pm

Carolyn wrote:Jonbill... someone is extracting the urine, methinks.

In this case, not guilty. Just ignorant

Joesson

Postby Joesson » Mon May 15, 2017 4:06 pm

jonbill wrote:
Carolyn wrote:Jonbill... someone is extracting the urine, methinks.

In this case, not guilty. Just ignorant

Sorry, my understanding is that -Ignorance of the law is no defence.
To quote your accuser:
"Ignorance is somebody else not knowing that which I learned yesterday"
On this basis you may have got away with it yesterday but retribution is on it's way today.
(Removal of a large number of Vera's could be your Punishment!)

StuC

Postby StuC » Mon May 15, 2017 6:56 pm

Why are you hating on Lego as lacking inspiration Tony?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Joesson

Postby Joesson » Mon May 15, 2017 8:08 pm

Just unsure about inspiration, but "hating" it for being under my bare feet, those corners are sooo sharp.
In my experience it also had no resale value when my offspring tired of it.
Maybe that has changed in more recent times as the product has developed and it' s popularity seems to be ongoing

StuC

Postby StuC » Mon May 15, 2017 8:47 pm

We bought my daughter an Lego x-wing ages ago as a pressie for good behaviour. We told her that if she looked after it, if bits ever needed replacing we would do so. The kit felt expensive at the time at £50.

Anyhoo, after many years of careful ownership we arrive at the fire incident! After the fire it turns out that the "special people" who "cleaned" the house had manged to loose many of the pieces, despite it being all together in one place!
So, to honour my word I felt it would mean more if I bought her a complete replacement. Her original had now been updated and retailled for £80. That wasn't like for like, so I looked deeper. Found a chap in the states, who has boxes AND boxes of original unopened sets. This fit the bill perfectly and came with a bill of £95 for the set and £35+ with taxes and shipping.

So Tony, resale value is there if you have the right stuff.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Joesson

Postby Joesson » Tue May 16, 2017 8:50 am

RALPH WALDO EMERSON has uttered volumes of wise sayings. One of his aphorisms, which expresses a world of meaning is the following: “If a man can write a better book, preach a better sermon, make a better mouse-trap or have an unopened X -wing set than his neighbors, though he builds his house in the woods, the world will make a beaten path to his door.”
Last edited by Joesson on Tue May 16, 2017 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Joesson

Postby Joesson » Tue May 16, 2017 8:58 am

16 May 1931 the London United Tramways (LUT) started London's first trolleybus service. It replaced trams service on the Twickenham Junction to Teddington route. The trolleybus had been demonstrated in London as early as 1909, and were running in Leeds since 1911. Like trams, the trolleybus ran on electricity drawn from a "trolley" running along overhead lines. Trolleybuses had pneumatic tyres to run on the same road surface with other traffic. London trams, their rail maintenance expense and trouble to other vehicles, were thus all abandoned by 1952. Yet by 1959, the era of the trolleybus was closing, as diesel-fuelled buses became economical alternatives. London's last trolleybus ran from Wimbledon to Fulwell on 8 May 1962.

Times, ideas and thoughts keep changing, such is progress, unfortunately it is not linear.

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Tue May 16, 2017 11:12 pm

Joesson

Postby Joesson » Wed May 17, 2017 8:24 am

I certainly agree with some of the message about Bacon.
However, the argument for the attributes of bacon falls down on the last two lines.
"Bacon is smart
Be like Bacon."

Bacon is one of the few things that when 'cured' is Dead!

Joesson

Postby Joesson » Wed May 17, 2017 8:25 am

17 May 1920 1st flight by Dutch airlines KLM (Koninklijke-Luchtvaart-Maatschappij)

If you have ever wondered why some Company names are abbbreviated and others maintain their full title
KLM (Koninklijke-Luchtvaart-Maatschappij)
maybe answers the question!

Joesson

Postby Joesson » Thu May 18, 2017 9:03 am

18 May 1830, English mechanic Edwin Beard Budding (c.1796 - 1846), inventor of the lawn mover, signed a manufacturing agreement with John Ferrabee, Phoenix Iron Works, Stroud. Budding based his design on the helical cutting blades he had seen on cylinders run over newly woven cloth to cut the pile for a smooth finish. His patent (No. 5,990, 31 Aug 1830) described his mower to replace hand scythes for "cropping or shearing the vegetable surface of lawns, grass plats, and pleasure grounds." It had a cast iron frame with a large roller that turned a series of cogs which rotated the blades. Production was increased in 1832 by license to the agricultural manufacturer Ransomes. Budding also invented the adjustable spanner.

I wonder which he invented first?

Mikeymead

Postby Mikeymead » Fri May 19, 2017 11:39 am

Well Tony, in my experience it would have been the Lawnmower as he would have needed the spanner to fix the sodding thing!

As they say necessity is the mother of invention. plus it would have saved him lugging round a toolbox.
Ding Day 2016 "Best In Show" & "Inspector Gadget" winner, not that I'm gloating or anything like that :lol:

Joesson

Postby Joesson » Tue May 23, 2017 8:10 am

Thanks Mikey I felt sure you could sort that out for us.

Joesson

Postby Joesson » Tue May 23, 2017 8:17 am

23 May 1971 Rock group Iron Butterfly disbands.

!!

You may have heard the expression ' Life is a bowl of cherries' well watch out for the pips!

Joesson

Postby Joesson » Wed May 24, 2017 9:53 pm

24 May- coincidences?

1844 Samuel Morse taps out "What hath God wrought" in the world's 1st telegraph message

1862 Beardslee field telegraph used for 1st time

1915 Thomas Edison invents telescribe to record telephone conversations

2004 North Korea bans mobile phones.

“A certain man once lost a diamond cuff-link in the wide blue sea, and twenty years later, on the exact day, a Friday apparently, he was eating a large fish - but there was no diamond inside. That’s what I like about coincidence.”
― Vladimir Nabokov, Laughter in the Dark

Joesson

Postby Joesson » Thu May 25, 2017 8:59 am

Born 25 May 1889; died 26 Oct 1972 at age 83.
Igor Ivan Sikorsky was a Russian-born U.S. pioneer in aircraft design who is best known for his successful development of the helicopter. His earliest successes were with fixed-wing aircraft, including his prize-winning S-6-A (1912) which led to a position as head of the aviation subsidiary of the Russian Baltic Railroad Car Works. In this position, as a result of a mosquito-clogged carburetor and subsequent engine failure, he had the radical idea of an aircraft having more than one engine. Thus he produced the first multi-engine airplane, the four-engined "The Grand." This revolutionary aircraft featured such things as an enclosed cabin. a lavatory, upholstered chairs and an exterior catwalk atop the fuselage so passengers could take a turn about in the air.

Today is also the anniversary of the end of production of the Ford Model T.

They certainly don' t make them like they used to!

Joesson

Postby Joesson » Fri May 26, 2017 9:05 am

The 1923 24 Hours of Le Mans was the very first Grand Prix of Endurance, and took place on 26 and 27 May 1923.

Le Mans in 1923
The original intention of the race was for a winner to be declared following three straight years of competition. The Rudge-Whitworth Cup would be given to the driver combination to complete the farthest distance total over three years. Unfortunately, the idea would be abandoned after the end of the first three-year segment, in 1925.

The 24 Hours of Le Mans (French: 24 Heures du Mans) is the world's oldest active sports car race in endurance. It is one of the most prestigious automobile races in the world and is often called the "Grand Prix of Endurance and Efficiency". The event represents one leg of the Triple Crown of Motorsport.

So what' s that?
Last edited by Joesson on Fri May 26, 2017 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Joesson

Postby Joesson » Fri May 26, 2017 9:06 am

The Triple Crown of Motorsport is an unofficial motorsport achievement, often regarded as winning three of the most prestigious motor races in the world in one's career:

the Indianapolis 500
the 24 Hours of Le Mans
the Monaco Grand Prix
For eleven years (1950–1960) Monaco and Indianapolis were part of the FIA World Championship of Drivers (now synonymous with Formula One) but in 1961 Indianapolis was dropped from the World Championship series. In 1987 the Monaco race date was changed to be about two weeks later than earlier years. Since then both it and the Indianapolis race have been held on the same day making it impossible for one driver to compete in both races the same year.

Seventeen drivers in motorsports history have competed in all three legs of the Triple Crown and have won at least one of the events. Juan Pablo Montoya is the only active driver to have won two of the three events.

So, WHO is the only driver to have completed the Triple Crown?

chalced

Postby chalced » Fri May 26, 2017 11:45 am

That would be good ol Graham Hill

Joesson

Postby Joesson » Sat May 27, 2017 5:14 am

Good ol Graham Hill it was Chalced,
Well said!

27 May 1930, masking tape was patented by inventor Richard G. Drew of St. Paul, Minnesota. (U.S. No. 1,760,820). He assigned the rights to the 3M Company, which marketed the tape from 8 Sep 1930 under the trademark "Scotch." In 1923, 3M developed the first sandpaper that was waterproof. Drew took trial batches to a local auto body shop for testing. Two-tone paint finishes on cars had just been introduced and become all the rage. Thus he happened to witness the auto painter's lack of suitable materials to attach protective masking paper. After two years of effort, Drew came up with effective, removeable masking tape. After five more years, he had also designed the first waterproof cellophane tape.

I' ll make no puns about ' coming to a sticky end' he was 81 years of age when he came to the end of his roll.

Return to “Chit-chat & Gossip”