Teaser: New forum is installed... ;) .....You just can't have access to it yet...
Next steps: Moving all the styling and fixes done over the past few weeks over to the new location. and then doing the data move, and then fixing the broken data
Almost, folks!

New hosting.

Got an idea that would benefit the club? Let us know.
shnazzle
MR2ROC Affiliates & Moderators Manager
OBD2 Code Reader?: Yes

Re: New hosting.

Postby shnazzle » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:57 pm

That's down to the theme. I found one theme that is based on the Bootstrap framework, which means it's responsive, which means it scales automatically to screen sizes (mobile, tablet, etc)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
2005 Sable MR2 ...neutiquam erro. Honorary wearer of Pants of Shame 2015, for TWOCing
Reader's Ride link

mikek

Postby mikek » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:08 pm

I have no idea about these things. Can I put pictures straight on from my phone? ( I am yet to post a picture coz I'm a computer phobe!)(donation made, thank you to everyone that makes this club fun to be a part of)
2zz by Rogue. Se7en cams. BMC CDA. Competion clutches lightened flywheel, Janspeed exhaust. TRD sportivo suspension and ARB's. TRD braces. TRD quick shift. Matts brace. Getting there but not sure when it will stop!

bernie11a
MR2ROC Chairman
OBD2 Code Reader?: No

Postby bernie11a » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:07 pm

Will it link to Tapatalk
Current - Black 2004 N/A 171BHP

Prev - 2003 Black - 2001 Silver SMT

Readers Ride. viewtopic.php?f=88&t=56481

Stewart@Boro
MR2ROC Club Secretary & Treasurer

Postby Stewart@Boro » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:58 am

Here is a link to their site which is obviously created using the software.
The manual is there too for those who like to read how its done instead of wading in :D

https://www.simplemachines.org/communit ... c=283269.0
TF 160, TTE Exhaust and style bar, and other shiny bits.

shnazzle

Re: RE: Re: New hosting.

Postby shnazzle » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:04 am

mikek wrote:I have no idea about these things. Can I put pictures straight on from my phone? ( I am yet to post a picture coz I'm a computer phobe!)(donation made, thank you to everyone that makes this club fun to be a part of)
Yes you can. But they will show up as thumbnails at the bottom. Not embedded within the text
bernie11a wrote:Will it link to Tapatalk
Yup.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
2005 Sable MR2 ...neutiquam erro. Honorary wearer of Pants of Shame 2015, for TWOCing
Reader's Ride link

shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:01 am

Mr Stew humbled us with his presence yesterday and we had a good look at the new forum software (Simple Machines Forum) and it's a go.

I'm building a prototype now and making it look "ROC". Then I will load in the general structure of the forum and invite a few to have a look.
We're adding a few aftermarket plugins to really make it work well.

We think you'll all like it.

We're sticking with the hosting as we have it for now. I'm pretty convinced it's the software that was causing the issues. For now.
Reader's Ride link

Stewart@Boro

Postby Stewart@Boro » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:41 pm

2 days in a row....lunch with Patrick, Helen and Nic in Corbridge today and further discussion re the new forum. The plug-ins will cost us a few $ but thanks to your generosity we are fine with that.
I really like the calendar feature which automatically creates a calendar event from a post or links a calendar item to a particular thread....no excuse for missing a meet in your area now :D
Patrick does have a lot of work to do on this, so it will take a while.

Side benefit, I did sus out a few good roads in the North Pennines today, and a nice cafe :bounce:

shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:11 pm

Bit of progress today.
Put the structure of the forum into the new one and started on the styling. Also created the permission structure, which is very different from out current one. Much simpler!
It scales depending on the device and an added collapsible menu bar is complicating matters slightly.
But never mind, I'll get through it.

It's going to be a decent overhaul of the chosen style, but it's necessary to include some of the functionality we're used to.
Reader's Ride link

delhusband

Postby delhusband » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:37 pm

keeper2611 wrote: I couldn't do without this forum

+1. appreciate the efforts going on in the background :)
'06 Silver FL - Vanilla, skinny half sugar. (modless stock 1ZZ, -precats, +blitz lm panel filter). Readers ride: My Silver' 06

shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:59 pm

Not far off from adding some packages that cost some cash (about 130usd), which is not a problem thanks to your donations.

Here's the package for those who are interested in a sneak peak:

https://www.smfpacks.com/page/sa=postingpack
Reader's Ride link

shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:45 pm

Clocked in some more time tonight. Styling is done. Few bugs to fix for when viewing on tablet or phone. About 10hrs of coding in so far. I'll get there...

Next step is plugins. I will post purchase prices here so you know where your money went.
Also, will purchase Tapatalk license if I can to remove advertising.
Reader's Ride link

keeper2611

Postby keeper2611 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:28 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing this now - hurry up Patrick!
2002 Red pfl being slowly modified

shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:34 pm

Another step forward today:

165 USD (131GBP of your hard earned money) spent on 6 very good modifications:
- Mentions: To me this is possibly going to be one of the most powerful features; How often on posts do we encounter "Oh, Bob knows a lot about this.. Bob?".. But Bob has to stumble upon that very thread and notice his name. With Mentions you can use the social media system of "@Bob" and Bob will get a notification that his expertise is wanted. Just..gold.

- Likes: Very facebook-esque without the drama. Great for opinion threads. Anonymous as well (optionally) so you can finally share that opinion you've been holding in :) haha

- Shoutbox: This adds a chat box. Good for more lively discussions.
- Alerts Pro: Much like the "Notifications" on the top right now. But more features.
- Advanced Editor: A very jazzy post editor. Embed tables, pictures, justify text, etc etc just like you would in Word. Simon (bigbear007) this is all you mate, all the fonts and big bold colours you could want at your fingertips
- Ads Manager: Yes that's right. Ads. Love it or hate it, the underdog's on top (Thank you 50Cent). We have these great affiliates offering great services but we don't see enough of it. This package allows us to add discrete ads in very select locations as to not be intrusive, but allowing our affiliates to share that big bargain they have.

Bit more work on the styling. Someone has already had a sneak peak :)
Hitting a few bugs with scaling but getting through them.
Helen (HereComesTheWife) will do what she does best and test the living bejesus out of this new forum before we bring it to you. So, no doubt, knowing her, there will be many more bugs for me to fix.

A little sneak peek;
Reader's Ride link

shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:40 pm

Can anybody provide an insight into what the current forum has that you simply MUST have in the new forum, or you will leave? :)

I'm not asking for what features you'd like to see that aren't there now, but what buttons, links, etc etc do you NEED? Just to make sure I have all the bases covered in the new forum
Reader's Ride link

bernie11a
MR2ROC Chairman

Postby bernie11a » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:43 pm

shnazzle wrote:Can anybody provide an insight into what the current forum has that you simply MUST have in the new forum, or you will leave? :)

I'm not asking for what features you'd like to see that aren't there now, but what buttons, links, etc etc do you NEED? Just to make sure I have all the bases covered in the new forum

Great work Pat very exciting times I assume the signature will remain I know many have the link to their Readers Rides in it
Current - Black 2004 N/A 171BHP

Prev - 2003 Black - 2001 Silver SMT

Readers Ride. viewtopic.php?f=88&t=56481

Stewart@Boro

Postby Stewart@Boro » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:11 pm

As long as we have the features of the current "quick links" menu i would be happy.
What about a panic button which instantly blanks the screen for those who spend too much time on the forum when they should be working :lol:

shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:14 pm

bernie11a wrote:
shnazzle wrote:Can anybody provide an insight into what the current forum has that you simply MUST have in the new forum, or you will leave? :)

Great work Pat very exciting times I assume the signature will remain I know many have the link to their Readers Rides in it
That's a very good point. The signatures will be copied but people might need to change the links themselves
Reader's Ride link

HereComesTheWife

Postby HereComesTheWife » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:46 pm

I hope someome is documenting these acceptance criteria for my testing

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

The Other Stu

Postby The Other Stu » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:48 pm

HereComesTheWife wrote:I hope someome is documenting these acceptance criteria for my testing

That would be the PM.
I'm hoping that said person is Prince2 accredited?
The release manager also needs to be involved.

We haven't actually seen a project plan yet.....
Fail to plan, plan to fail!
Facelift Blue MR2 - My Readers Ride: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=58890
Now with added Blue Running Lights (oops) :shock:

HereComesTheWife

Postby HereComesTheWife » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:56 pm

I believe Patrick is prince 2 accredited, or once was, so that's his job now. I could do with some testers too, don't really like to get my hands dirty these days. Best get started on that test strategy

shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:55 pm

I don't want to hear work terms in here....
Reader's Ride link

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:59 pm

The quicklinks in the little dropdown bar on the left hand side of the screen
Particularly bookmarks, my posts & new posts

The Other Stu

Postby The Other Stu » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:17 pm

shnazzle wrote:I don't want to hear work terms in here....

I'll have my change manager onto you soon! :lol:
Facelift Blue MR2 - My Readers Ride: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=58890
Now with added Blue Running Lights (oops) :shock:

shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:42 pm

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:The quicklinks in the little dropdown bar on the left hand side of the screen
Particularly bookmarks, my posts & new posts
Thine wish is my command
Reader's Ride link

shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:54 pm

This "aftermarket" theme I've chosen is a nightmare! Having to do a lot of fixes and improvements to the code as I go to prevent future instability.
Properly getting my code on again and this is taking far longer than I thought it would.
I've installed one of the paid-for plugins and it works well. Few styling tweaks and then:

- "quicklinks" creation as per current forum
- installation of bookmarks modification
- affiliates dedicated page
- terms and conditions page
- ROC Shop page
- members map
- installation of all other bought plugins and fixing issues
- testing on multiple browsers and devices

Then..
- data migration.. That'll be fun.

I reckon this will be another few weeks guys :(
Reader's Ride link

delhusband

Postby delhusband » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:05 am

Can new forum do "scheduled"/"delayed" posts?
'06 Silver FL - Vanilla, skinny half sugar. (modless stock 1ZZ, -precats, +blitz lm panel filter). Readers ride: My Silver' 06

Call the midlife!

Postby Call the midlife! » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:29 am

Could be ignorance on my part as I try and use the search function as much as possible but do we already have an "FAQ" section? I know we have the "how to" and "buyers guide" so not sure if FAQ would be overkill/redundant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shnazzle

Postby shnazzle » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:05 am

delhusband wrote:Can new forum do "scheduled"/"delayed" posts?
Alas no. It's dependent on a scheduler on the system running and triggering the sending, but that's a bit more involved than just the forum code.
I can look into it. Perhaps what I can do is that it is triggered by people visiting the forum. So, every 20 visits or something the forum checks to see if there are any scheduled posts for that time or thereabouts.
Means posts might not go live at the time specified but around that time. Posts scheduled at night would likely be very delayed because of the lack of activity at night.

I'll have a think.
Call the midlife! wrote:Could be ignorance on my part as I try and use the search function as much as possible but do we already have an "FAQ" section? I know we have the "how to" and "buyers guide" so not sure if FAQ would be overkill/redundant?

This is the "problem" with forums. It's a bit of a free for all and it's difficult to maintain an easily-traversable structure. But, trying to enforce such a structure ruins the fun a bit. So it's a bit of a catch.

The only thing I can think of is to set a read-only structure (a-la-repair manual) and leave it to the members to submit an existing or new post to the structure, moderated by a dedicated person.
So, if anybody wants to put their hand up for that... :)
I think it could turn into a part time job though
Reader's Ride link

Call the midlife!

Postby Call the midlife! » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:20 am

shnazzle wrote:
Alas no. It's dependent on a scheduler on the system running and triggering the sending, but that's a bit more involved than just the forum code.
I can look into it. Perhaps what I can do is that it is triggered by people visiting the forum. So, every 20 visits or something the forum checks to see if there are any scheduled posts for that time or thereabouts.
Means posts might not go live at the time specified but around that time. Posts scheduled at night would likely be very delayed because of the lack of activity at night.

I'll have a think.
Call the midlife! wrote:Could be ignorance on my part as I try and use the search function as much as possible but do we already have an "FAQ" section? I know we have the "how to" and "buyers guide" so not sure if FAQ would be overkill/redundant?

This is the "problem" with forums. It's a bit of a free for all and it's difficult to maintain an easily-traversable structure. But, trying to enforce such a structure ruins the fun a bit. So it's a bit of a catch.

The only thing I can think of is to set a read-only structure (a-la-repair manual) and leave it to the members to submit an existing or new post to the structure, moderated by a dedicated person.
So, if anybody wants to put their hand up for that... :)
I think it could turn into a part time job though

I know what you're saying. To be honest I find myself losing hours reading historical posts when using the search function and keywords. I it were made too easy then a lot of history may go unread by new members.
Keep swimming, just keep swimming...

delhusband

Postby delhusband » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:25 pm

shnazzle wrote:
no worries, was thinking of threads like "thought of the day"

Return to “Feedback”