Teaser: New forum is installed... ;) .....You just can't have access to it yet...
Next steps: Moving all the styling and fixes done over the past few weeks over to the new location. and then doing the data move, and then fixing the broken data
Almost, folks!

Chain tensioner

Having a problem or fixed anything recently? Post it here.
delhusband
OBD2 Code Reader?: Yes

Re: Chain tensioner

Postby delhusband » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:39 pm

Carolyn wrote:There are a lot of noisy 1ZZs out there that could use one.

Is this what you were looking at / pointing out in my engine bay at Sywell Carolyn?
'06 Silver FL - Vanilla, skinny half sugar. (modless stock 1ZZ, -precats, +blitz lm panel filter). Readers ride: My Silver' 06

Carolyn

Postby Carolyn » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:57 pm

delhusband wrote:

Is this what you were looking at / pointing out in my engine bay at Sywell Carolyn?

I looked at so many engines, I'm afraid I'm not sure. If in doubt, a new one can't hurt. You'd be surprised at how much idling/low RPM engine noise is a result of a tired tensioner.

Paul: There you go. Plenty of customers eh?
Ignorance is somebody else not knowing that which I learned yesterday viewtopic.php?f=88&t=63866

Justin.D
OBD2 Code Reader?: No

Postby Justin.D » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:33 pm

delhusband wrote:

Yes Del, it was the tensioner Carolyn pointed out

delhusband

Postby delhusband » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:52 pm

Justin.D wrote:
delhusband wrote:

Cheers Justin
'06 Silver FL - Vanilla, skinny half sugar. (modless stock 1ZZ, -precats, +blitz lm panel filter). Readers ride: My Silver' 06

Call the midlife!

Postby Call the midlife! » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:25 pm

delhusband wrote:
Justin.D wrote:
delhusband wrote:Is this what you were looking at / pointing out in my engine bay at Sywell Carolyn?

Cheers Justin

Just playing Devil’s Advocate here but I thought it was your aux belt tensioner pulley that Carolyn thought looked tired...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

delhusband

Postby delhusband » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:45 pm

Call the midlife! wrote:Just playing Devil’s Advocate here but I thought it was your aux belt tensioner pulley that Carolyn thought looked tired...

Think both might have been mentioned - I think we spotted gunk/residue around the chain tensioner - I'll check again tomorrow (watched a few vids, doesn't look too difficult to replace) - if it was aux belt tensioner then I'll need to read some more threads and watch more YouTube tutorials :)
Cheers!

Call the midlife!

Postby Call the midlife! » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:51 pm

delhusband wrote:
Call the midlife! wrote:Just playing Devil’s Advocate here but I thought it was your aux belt tensioner pulley that Carolyn thought looked tired...

Think both might have been mentioned - I think we spotted gunk/residue around the chain tensioner - I'll check again tomorrow (watched a few vids, doesn't look too difficult to replace) - if it was aux belt tensioner then I'll need to read some more threads and watch more YouTube tutorials :)
Cheers!

Chain tensioner is easy as peas, just don’t take the nuts off until you’ve sprung it from it’s seat, that way it won’t ping straight out at you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carolyn

Chain tensioner

Postby Carolyn » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:37 am

My enquiry to Paul at TCB has turned into a thread on chain tensioners. So I thought I'd kind of 'move it' to here.

If you are going to change your chain tensioner, PLEASE READ 'Understanding your Chain Tensioner' in the 'How To' section. If you get it wrong you can do serious damage to your engine.

Also, consider putting on the O ring that is mentioned in the 'How To' as the OEM one is often not a good seal, even though it's new.

Yes - it's 'easy peasey' but do make sure you do it correctly.

I'm pretty sure I must have been looking at chain tensioners at the meet as it's impossible to judge the belt tensioner with the belt in place.
Ignorance is somebody else not knowing that which I learned yesterday viewtopic.php?f=88&t=63866

onion86
Forum Moderator

Postby onion86 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:48 pm

I've tried to move most of the posts out to here :)
Sable 55 C-One C2 Turbo MR2 - A/C, Black Heated Leather, Alloy HVAC Knobs, SP MSMB, Eibach Springs, ROCLinks, Ultra Racing ARBs, Pagid Discs/Yellowstuff Pads, HEL Brake Hoses, TRD Front Strut Brace, TRD Short-Shifter, 17" Ultra Light Split Rims, Dev's Keyhole Covers, Stainless Sills, Mongos
ex - Black '00 C-One MR-S Turbo - 'Amaya'
My Fuel Consumption

delhusband

Postby delhusband » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:06 pm

onion86 wrote:I've tried to move most of the posts out to here :)

Sorry, hijacked thread a bit :oops: :)

Carolyn

Postby Carolyn » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:11 pm

onion86 wrote:I've tried to move most of the posts out to here :)

Thank you.

delhusband

Postby delhusband » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:44 pm

Here's a picture of what I think is my chain tensioner - looks like oil seepage at left - at £38, worth replacing?
IMG_20171011_192611.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

onion86
Forum Moderator

Postby onion86 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:23 pm

If there's a bit of seepage you'll need to at least replace the O-Ring / put a bit of sealant on it. So may as well replace the whole thing whilst you're there.
Sable 55 C-One C2 Turbo MR2 - A/C, Black Heated Leather, Alloy HVAC Knobs, SP MSMB, Eibach Springs, ROCLinks, Ultra Racing ARBs, Pagid Discs/Yellowstuff Pads, HEL Brake Hoses, TRD Front Strut Brace, TRD Short-Shifter, 17" Ultra Light Split Rims, Dev's Keyhole Covers, Stainless Sills, Mongos
ex - Black '00 C-One MR-S Turbo - 'Amaya'
My Fuel Consumption

Carolyn

Postby Carolyn » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:24 am

Seepage can be cured with an O ring. I have some Viton ones that are a slightly tighter fir than OEM. PM me and I'll send you one. If your engine is a bit of a rattler at low RPM, then it's worth popping a new one in. They do wear over time.

Carolyn

Postby Carolyn » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:22 pm

I received a new one today. The supercharger car has just been fired up and it was rattling at low idle/low RPM. I put the new one in my silver car, and the good one from that car has gone into the supercharger car. It's now a quiet bunny too.

cptspaulding

Postby cptspaulding » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:55 pm

Did you end up buying the genuine Toyota unit?
2003, 2zz conversion. Replaced practically everything of note on the car.

Carolyn

Postby Carolyn » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:40 pm

No a Febi Bilstein one from Amazon. Very good quality and indistinguishable from the Toyota one.

Return to “Maintenance, Problems & Troubleshooting”