MOT test for cars with Limited Slip Differentials (LSD)

Started by Porker, March 29, 2021, 13:03

Porker

I've done a search but couldn't find anything on this topic.

Should our cars (or those with LSDs, at least) not be tested on the brake rollers at MOT time, or is it not an issue?

Joesson

Quote from: Porker on March 29, 2021, 13:03I've done a search but couldn't find anything on this topic.

Should our cars (or those with LSDs, at least) not be tested on the brake rollers at MOT time, or is it not an issue?

My simplistic understanding is that the LSD works between and before the wheels. The brakes work on the wheels, outside of the effect of the LSD.

Jay

Not an issue as far as I'm aware.

More of a problem with permanent all wheel drive vehicles.  Just have to inform the tester beforehand on that regard.

Zxrob

When I had my 350Z they took it out for a road test only

Rob
Adventure before dementia 😁

Alex Knight

JB21

Its a Torsen diff, so not an issue. If you jack the rear, you can actually stop one wheel from spinning with your hand, and the other wheel just carry's on spinning just like an open diff. Its only with hard load the diff does its think i.e Torque sensing.

Porker

Excellent - many thanks. That puts my mind at rest.

Matt

Quote from: Porker on March 29, 2021, 15:43Excellent - many thanks. That puts my mind at rest.

Just to add to this, i asked my mot guy about this and he just took it for a road test instead to save any worry. If yours is reasonably friendly then i'm sure they won't mess around doing something that could be damaging. (But with ours, it is not afaik)

Tags: