Help needed!!!

Started by Halls, March 23, 2021, 10:46

Call the midlife!

Whereabouts in South Yorkshire are you?
60% of the time it works everytime...

Joesson

@Halls
Coincidentally, I saw a fellow 2 owner today who I have not seen for a while. I asked how his car was running and he said that he didn't keep a check of the oil level and took it on the M way with unfortunate results. He told me he sold it and the new owner rebuilt the engine and sold the car on for £1k more than he paid for it.

Halls

Quote from: Call the midlife! on April 15, 2021, 20:47Whereabouts in South Yorkshire are you?
Im in Barnsley.

Halls

Quote from: Joesson on April 15, 2021, 22:18@Halls
Coincidentally, I saw a fellow 2 owner today who I have not seen for a while. I asked how his car was running and he said that he didn't keep a check of the oil level and took it on the M way with unfortunate results. He told me he sold it and the new owner rebuilt the engine and sold the car on for £1k more than he paid for it.

ive toyed with the idea of rebuild or engine swap. Just not sure i have the time or patience for it.

Call the midlife!

Aaah, I was hoping you were a bit nearer so I could nip over and see if we could get to the bottom of what might be causing your problems.

Halls

Quote from: Call the midlife! on April 16, 2021, 06:45Aaah, I was hoping you were a bit nearer so I could nip over and see if we could get to the bottom of what might be causing your problems.
ah right. Yeah bit of a trek for you, but thanks for that.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Halls on April 16, 2021, 07:56
Quote from: Call the midlife! on April 16, 2021, 06:45Aaah, I was hoping you were a bit nearer so I could nip over and see if we could get to the bottom of what might be causing your problems.
ah right. Yeah bit of a trek for you, but thanks for that.
It's not so much the distance at the moment, it's having the time to travel the distance.

Joesson

Quote from: Halls on April 15, 2021, 23:25
Quote from: Joesson on April 15, 2021, 22:18@Halls

ive toyed with the idea of rebuild or engine swap. Just not sure i have the time or patience for it.

I can understand that but sometimes Members and others I'm sure are looking for a project and if your car is otherwise reasonable you may do better financially than selling to Steptoe or his son.
PS
My story was true, the guy is an E European and he had a black, he really liked the car he said (but perhaps not quite enough to check the oil level).

jim_jiminy

If worse comes to worst (like it did for me after I bought an oil burner) Dean at Rutland MR2 on here, could sort you out with a decent 1ZZ and someone to swap it over for a very reasonable cost. Think I ended up paying about £550 all in a few years back, and got the clutch changed too.

Carolyn

Unfortunately, Dean is no longer doing MR2s. 

Also, it's worth bearing in mind that the 1zzfe also went in the Celica, Avensis and Rav4...  A few ancillaries will have to be swapped over, but the basic engine is identical - so just look for a decent 1zz.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

jim_jiminy

Quote from: Carolyn on April 29, 2021, 13:30Unfortunately, Dean is no longer doing MR2s. 
Ah, I didn't know that - what a shame.

jim_jiminy

Joesson

Quote from: jim_jiminy on April 29, 2021, 14:26This isn't too bad price wise, from a MR2 MK3, and has a 6 month warranty : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274761419097?epid=1116805810&hash=item3ff90e8959:g:YxIAAOSwNqRgeY9G

I would not buy that just because of the warranty which does not amount to very much imo.

Tags: