Alternator Rebuild

Started by moca2cv, March 12, 2021, 13:21

moca2cv

Hi clever people. I have a spare (seized) alternator that I thought I'd have a crack at rebuilding, just to learn something new. Does anybody know where I could get a rebuild kit please?
Thanks in advance!

Carolyn

You'll be lucky!  They don't want you doing that.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

shnazzle

Quote from: Carolyn on March 12, 2021, 14:08You'll be lucky!  They don't want you doing that.
Auto shop that used to be here advertised alternator rebuilds of any make. Must be a "thing". 

Unfortunately the shop got taken over by a larger chain :(
...neutiquam erro.

Dev

Its basically bearings change and a new rectifier diode pack. It might also involve some other processes like balancing.
 I have a rebuilt alternator with a lifetime warranty. The first one they gave me failed in a years time but the second one is going strong with not much AC leakage.
 What I was told is these components can be rebuilt but they tend to have a higher failure rate. This might be due to how the components were originally manufactured with much higher tolerances like how the bearings are pressed and seated.

I would say rebuilt it for fun but if you end up having to remove it, it will be a pain.

moca2cv

Thanks all. Just seems a shame to throw it in the bin.
Guess rebuilds are no longer in vogue.

virginpaul

I used to overhaul alternators from Ford Pinto engines (Cortina, Capri etc).  You could everything except rewind the coils, but there was a firm on a small industrial estate near me that had big whirly machine!  It got to the point that the sum of the parts for a decent overhaul (rectifier pack, brushes for excitation and bearings was more that the cost of a reconditioned complete unit with warranty!

shnazzle

Quote from: moca2cv on March 12, 2021, 19:00Thanks all. Just seems a shame to throw it in the bin.
Guess rebuilds are no longer in vogue.
If you do find a way, I've got one that needs a refurbish sitting here
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: