Twang!!

Started by steveash, March 8, 2021, 11:31

steveash

Shortly after pulling away out of my drive, my car makes a rather entertaining metallic twang noise. It doesn't sound too worrying but it happens almost every time and only when the car is moved after starting from cold. My best guess it is steering related.

Anyone heard of this before??

shnazzle

Quote from: steveash on March  8, 2021, 11:31Shortly after pulling away out of my drive, my car makes a rather entertaining metallic twang noise. It doesn't sound too worrying but it happens almost every time and only when the car is moved after starting from cold. My best guess it is steering related.

That's a new one to me. It's not just the brakes binding and breaking loose from the discs?
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

Quote from: shnazzle on March  8, 2021, 11:48That's a new one to me. It's not just the brakes binding and breaking loose from the discs?

What sprang to my mind too. Nice rusty weather now.

J88TEO

Mine does the same if left for a few days, only when the weather is cold.

Iain

M
Quote from: steveash on March  8, 2021, 11:31Shortly after pulling away out of my drive, my car makes a rather entertaining metallic twang noise. It doesn't sound too worrying but it happens almost every time and only when the car is moved after starting from cold. My best guess it is steering related.

Mine does exactly the same. Its sounds almost like a spring releasing or something along those lines. I dont think its brake related, but would love to know what it is.

Mine lives in our garage, which is heated, and doesnt get any build up of rust on the brakes. Its only used now and again, but always 'twangs' when backing out of the garage.

Joesson

Quote from: Iain on March  8, 2021, 12:45M

Mine does exactly the same. Its sounds almost like a spring releasing or something along those lines. I dont think its brake related, but would love to know what it is.

Mine lives in our garage, which is heated, and doesnt get any build up of rust on the brakes. Its only used now and again, but always 'twangs' when backing out of the garage.

My daily does twang on occasion, when moving off after being parked for some time. I believe this to be the brake shoes ( drum brakes on rear / handbrake) releasing some " sticktion".
My twang would sound different because the drum brake shoes are released/ returned by springs.
PS.
Mine typically occurs when reversing as  I drive onto our driveway and reverse off.
That could open up some debate about the " right way" to enter / exit a drive way and / or a parking space!

Dev

I have heard the sound when my car was stock before upgrading to coilovers. I thought the sound was from the spring mounts. Once the car moves the spring vibrates a little and disappears.

steveash

I've started something here! Nice to know it's not just mine doing this.

I don't think it is coming from the brakes as like @Iain mine did it after being kept in a dry garage. It isn't the moment of pulling away but probably 5-10 seconds later. It sounds like a spring but I also have coilovers rather than a stock setup.

I wonder if it's the clutch?

Carolyn

Braces all tight?
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Gaz mr-s

Yep, I've heard it from 3 or 4 of them.  In the last couple of years the car was outside & on flat ground, so the handbrake wasn't usually applied. I would reverse, then after a few yards going forward, hear the noise.

steveash

Quote from: Carolyn on March  8, 2021, 13:55Braces all tight?

It did it before and after the braces were added.

Topdownman

How are your stone guards/disc shrouds?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

steveash

Quote from: Topdownman on March  8, 2021, 14:50How are your stone guards/disc shrouds?

'Original' condition. That's a thought, something to investigate. I'm not sure why they would make a noise at that moment though.

Iain

I need to reverse into the garage next time and see if it still does it just driving straight out.

@Dev it certainly sounds suspension related to me. In the next few weeks im doing a full suspension refresh with OEM parts so will be intersting to see if it cures the issue.

Dev

Just know that you will find it once it gets louder and if it does not its a feature.

shnazzle

Quote from: Dev on March  8, 2021, 16:06Just know that you will find it once it gets louder and if it does not its a feature.
LOL! 

Reminds me of when we bought our first Seat Leon FR. 
It pulled to the left heavily. 

Took it back to where we bought it from who refused to fix it and said it was a "safety feature". It was meant to keep you alert. Not a word of a lie. We threatened to call the police on them. 
They fixed the issue.
...neutiquam erro.

Joesson

Quote from: shnazzle on March  8, 2021, 16:16
Quote from: Dev on March  8, 2021, 16:06Just know that you will find it once it gets louder and if it does not its a feature.
LOL!

Took it back to where we bought it from who refused to fix it and said it was a "safety feature". It was meant to keep you alert. Not a word of a lie. We threatened to call the police on them.
They fixed the issue.

Not heard that one! Had a similar thing with a Vauxhall rep mobile, pulled to the left a lot, garage said it was the road camber.
They fixed it.

Dev

Quote from: shnazzle on March  8, 2021, 16:16
LOL!

They fixed the issue.

We actually have a real reason why some cars do actually drift even after multiple alignments. It is due to the crowning of our roads. There is a slight slope on either end for drainage where some cars are more effected to drifting than others. 
 The crowning excuse is also giving by alignment shops for bad alignment jobs.

Petrus

Quote from: Dev on March  8, 2021, 16:41We actually have a real reason why some cars do actually drift even after multiple alignments. It is due to the crowning of our roads. There is a slight slope on either end for drainage where some cars are more effected to drifting than others. 

One to remember :-)

Honestly officer, it was not me, it was the crown of the road!

Sir, a good driver accounts for that and enters all corners in proper manner without making an ass of himself while endangering others....

Dev

Quote from: Petrus on March  8, 2021, 16:55
Quote from: Dev on March  8, 2021, 16:41We actually have a real reason why some cars do actually drift even after multiple alignments. It is due to the crowning of our roads. There is a slight slope on either end for drainage where some cars are more effected to drifting than others. 

One to remember :-)

Honestly officer, it was not me, it was the crown of the road!

Sir, a good driver accounts for that and enters all corners in proper manner without making an bumbum of himself while endangering others....

I actually used that excuse when I was pulled over for not holding my lane early in the morning when they are out hunting for drunk drivers.
 The officer believed me or wanted to humor me because I had a good excuse and let me go. I was tried form staying up too late.

Petrus

Quote from: Dev on March  8, 2021, 17:15I actually used that excuse when I was pulled over for not holding my lane

That is a bit diffrent here too. We are supposed to stay on/ return to the rhs (UK lhs) lane unless overtaking.
Americans can réally freak out on the autobahn, the twangs ;-)

Dev

Quote from: Petrus on March  8, 2021, 18:15
Quote from: Dev on March  8, 2021, 17:15I actually used that excuse when I was pulled over for not holding my lane

That is a bit diffrent here too. We are supposed to stay on/ return to the rhs (UK lhs) lane unless overtaking.
Americans can réally freak out on the autobahn, the twangs ;-)

We have the same thing. The fast lane is generally for passing. If you are holding up traffic on the fast lane you get ticketed in most states even if the person behind you is going over the speed limit. The other cause of accidents is rubber necking to see an accident and distracted driving. Americans are not any different than any country that doesn't have an autobahn. I know many that have driven it without issues but you never hear about them because they drive without incident following the rules of the motorway just like the majority of people you will never hear about. Generally unaware people are in every group and not exclusive. The difference is some make astute observations before engaging.

Bossworld

Topdownman

"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

steveash

Quote from: Bossworld on March  8, 2021, 20:11Back to topic. It's the ABS testing itself.

https://www.spyderchat.com/threads/spring-coil-noise-after-startup.6528/

Fantastic, thank you. So it appears my car is operating correctly. Nice to know.

Tags: