Starter motor part help?

Started by Richard41, February 19, 2021, 12:19

Richard41

Car wouldn't start yesterday, had to bump start to get me home and seems to be starter motor problem & needs replacing.

Local indie part suppliers are saying there are several different versions depending on what is on there now which seems unlikely??

Can anyone confirm/suggest a good replacement please.

2003 facelift.

Mikeymead

Just checked Motor Parts Direct and Eurocarparts website and they both only list one type of starter motor though Eurocarparts list 3 brands. (RTX, Lucas & Bosch)
Ding Day 2016 "Best In Show" & "Inspector Gadget" winner, not that I'm gloating or anything like that!

Richard41

Ta, can't get to see what's on there now I've owned it for 15yrs so presume it's the original.

will try ringing a few other places.

Carolyn

I think I may have a couple - both working.  not a massive job to do the swap.  If I can't find them, try Mr Sloan.  These motors tend to go on forever, so a used one would do you fine.

It will be the same motor on most Toyotas of the same year.

Just thought:  do check the battery voltage, just so as not to look daft!
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Beachbum957

There were apparently 2 different interchangeable starter motors, a 1.2 kw and a 1.4 kw, but the MR2 all show using the 1.4 kw.  There are a lot of different aftermarket brands and they fit a number of Toyota models, so they shouldn't be hard to find

Richard41

Put new battery on this morning just to be sure and no difference, had everything crossed that would be it  :'(

booked in for week after next.

Dev

I agree with Carolyn. The Toyota starter motors rarely fail and in most cases will out live the car. My first choice is a good used one. The only time I would consider new if it was hard to access. 
  Over the years I have discovered that matching electronics including wear of some components tends to be better bet than using new aftermarket.   

normanh

Poor earth to the starter maybe? Can you hear the solenoid clicking in?

Norman

Tags: