Clutch change success

Started by JB21, January 30, 2021, 18:37

JB21

Well bolted it all back together and it goes into gear without the clutch in  >:(

Not even road tested it as it will just slip under load.

I'm hoping its just the slave cylinder has over extended on the fork, pushing the plate in slightly, but I doubt that's the issue as it went on the fork easily.

I'll pull the slave off the fork tomorrow and see if it still goes into gear.

If its no different then I'm lost.

Carolyn

Bugger.  Fingers crossed it bites when the slave is off!
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

JB21

Quote from: Carolyn on January 30, 2021, 18:49Bugger.  Fingers crossed it bites when the slave is off!

Just thinking, if the near side drive shaft did snap in properly would this cause the issue?

Offside spun up in gear with revs, but couldn't see the nearside shaft under load. Think it was moving when in neutral though.

Carolyn

Quote from: JB21 on January 30, 2021, 20:01
Quote from: Carolyn on January 30, 2021, 18:49Bugger.  Fingers crossed it bites when the slave is off!

Just thinking, if the near side drive shaft did snap in properly would this cause the issue?

Offside spun up in gear with revs, but couldn't see the nearside shaft under load. Think it was moving when in neutral though.

I can't imagine that the splines haven't engaged.

By 'under load' do you mean up in the air?  'Cos that isn't 'under load'. The LSD is a torque sensing diff and only works when properly under load (down on its wheels an being driven.

Drop it down and see what it does?

Carolyn

I has a thought over night:  Did you not adjust the pedal a bunch to get the old one to disengage?  Have you reversed that adjustment?

JB21

Quote from: Carolyn on January 31, 2021, 09:44I has a thought over night:  Did you not adjust the pedal a bunch to get the old one to disengage?  Have you reversed that adjustment?

Yeah reversed it back to Toyota spec before starting the job. I've even tried lowering and then lifting higher again.

Had a though myself and I'm thinking because its spinning in neutral quite fast on the hubs alone that I'm able to match gears without the clutch.

1st is the easiest to engage, then 2nd onwards it struggles to engage but if you keep a bit of pressure on the gear stick it will go in without grinding.

Carolyn

Quote from: JB21 on January 31, 2021, 11:59
Quote from: Carolyn on January 31, 2021, 09:44I has a thought over night:  Did you not adjust the pedal a bunch to get the old one to disengage?  Have you reversed that adjustment?

Yeah reversed it back to Toyota spec before starting the job. I've even tried lowering and then lifting higher again.

Had a though myself and I'm thinking because its spinning in neutral quite fast on the hubs alone that I'm able to match gears without the clutch.

1st is the easiest to engage, then 2nd onwards it struggles to engage but if you keep a bit of pressure on the gear stick it will go in without grinding.

These are very slick little boxes.  I change gears (smoothly) without the clutch quite a lot - up and down.

See what it does on the ground?

JB21

Quote from: Carolyn on January 31, 2021, 12:02

These are very slick little boxes.  I change gears (smoothly) without the clutch quite a lot - up and down.

Yeah going to try and get it down on its wheels later. Could even just fit the brakes and try it with them applied.

Carolyn

Quote from: JB21 on January 31, 2021, 12:07

Yeah going to try and get it down on its wheels later. Could even just fit the brakes and try it with them applied.

Down on the ground is the best test.  with no discs -there's so little load, the gearbox oil will cause enough motion for the gear to sync up..

JB21

Quote from: Carolyn on January 31, 2021, 12:19
Quote from: JB21 on January 31, 2021, 12:07

Down on the ground is the best test.  with no discs -there's so little load, the gearbox oil will cause enough motion for the gear to sync up..

Fresh MT90 used as well so super slick.

JB21

Its defo the clutch. Think the friction disc hasn't seated properly or its not sliding on the input splines.

I've just removed the slave from the fork and it still goes into gear.

I then put the car into first gear and was able to stop the hubs moving by hand. No point putting it all back together as it won't even move off the drive.

I reckon the disc hasn't seated because I used the universal alignment tool and kept it locked in place when bolting the clutch plate down, as below.

I should have just nipped up the plate enough so the friction disc didn't move, remove the universal alignment tool and then torque the plate.

jonbill

Maybe you've got the friction disc back to front.

Carolyn

Quote from: jonbill on January 31, 2021, 17:36Maybe you've got the friction disc back to front.
easily done!  and sounds most plausible.

JB21

We'll soon see, as its coming back off next weekend.

JB21

Found this in my camera reel, but had it off and on that much trying to centre it, i don't think this is the last shot before fitting.

I was conscious of the 'gearbox side' marker, and sure I double checked it looking through the fingers after removing the adjustment tool, but you never know i may have fitted it wrong.

JB21

All good now. Dropped it on its wheels and clutch bites hard. Was a mix of the super slick C60 and how the Torsen diff works that had me guessing something was a miss.

Just need to bed-in the clutch now, Internet states 300-500 miles 🙄

Carolyn

That's a relief.

Can I say "ITYS"? 

Perhaps better not! ;D

JB21

Quote from: Carolyn on February  1, 2021, 16:12That's a relief.

Can I say "ITYS"? 

Perhaps better not! ;D

You 100% certainly can. As I've said before, its all a learning process.

Tags: