Rattle n squeek

Started by Mr2paul, December 3, 2020, 21:35

Mr2paul

Hi all. I seem to have various squeaks which seem to be plastics rubbing. I no the rear lights squeek on bumper and various panels would cause a noise as they are not a solid fit so going to address that with some self adhesive Velcro tape. Also a tinny rattle from rear, could be a baffle, heat shield or engine lid ? Does anyone have any tips or experience dealing with this ? My old forum could tell you what causes this as it was a common problem Ie dash squeaks etc but this is all new to me so any heads up is appreciated. Thankyou.
Learning is good. Failing to learn is not an option

Gaz mr-s

Heat shield above engine can rattle....check fixings.  Heat shields around exhaust system can do too.
The cat around 2500 rpm is a common one. A big jubilee clamp can be used sometimes.

If the front of your dash rattles if you bang it, post-up & I'll suggest something.

Mr2paul

Cheers, will be checking it out this weekend
Learning is good. Failing to learn is not an option

Bossworld

I think there is a Toyota doc with fixes/descriptions of the more common complaints.

That said, I don't know about others but in the small period I've run in winter this year at the start of the month, the interior of the car is noisier than the summer. Put it down to things contracting in the cold but maybe that's too simplistic?

paulj

I fixed a rattle on the exhaust heat shields with a jubilee clip or two, the fixing bolts at one end had rusted away.

As for plastic trim, i think the dashboard was fitted with rattles as standard from new
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Tags: