Frunk trim clips

Started by H1GRM, July 1, 2020, 08:44

H1GRM

See the post in the Green Goddess.

Anyone know were to get clips that can be removed without breaking???

Greg
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=66294.0<br /><br />TTE Turbo 6R4 Forest Green - Y55 GRM <br />Jeep Wrangler - H1 GRM

Joesson

Quote from: H1GRM on July  1, 2020, 08:44See the post in the Green Goddess.

Greg

That has been done, I will have to think when and by who but it was posted on here somewhere at some time.

Joesson

@Callthemidlfe said on the Blue V8 thread 22 Feb 2018 :

"My frunk plastics are rivnutted on, easier than the clips"

scm2004red

never sure whether quoting suppliers is permitted here (can't see why not if good service?) but i obtained frunk clips and bumper fixings here https://www.vehicleclips.co.uk/search-by-model/toyota
MR2 Red Edition 2004
Porsche 924 1984

SV-3

Quote from: H1GRM on July  1, 2020, 08:44See the post in the Green Goddess.

Greg
Morning @H1GRM
I can't help feeling that we need an ROC wide test on these.
The clips, as we know, can be purchased everywhere.
I bought a set before I removed the frunk as I was expecting the usual failures and indeed about half of the ones I 'removed' were already broken.
I think the problem is potentially that people are too aggressive with using screwdrivers etc to get under the clip.
My ex Mk1 was my first encounter with this type of clip and  the removal method wasn't exactly intuitive.
However, I'm sure there was a label in the 'boot' (remember them?) that showed how to remove/replace the clip.
There was also the same information in the manual (page 112).
I find the 'Toyota Method' works fine - depress the centre - gently a few millimetres, and lift the entire clip assembly - preferably with your fingernails/small flat bladed screwdriver. Refit by reversing the process. No breaker bars are required.
On a separate topic - Any chance of posting a photo of the refit of the foglamp to the bumper?
'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

Joesson

@scm2004red linked to vehicle clips
Amongst their offering are these:

Screw Fit Plastic Fasteners- BMW 07130702966
SKU: FCP-2144-BM1

Turn Lock Plastic Trim Clip for Access Panels- BMW 51711916197
SKU: FCP-0653-BM1

Easy Release Push Fit Plastic Rivet, Renault 7703072361
SKU: FCP-0563-RE1

The OE fixing is perhaps best considered as expendable, if bought at a more realistic price than from MrT .
An alternative type of fixing is going to need some " effort" to remove , ie a screwdriver.
The Turn  Lock / and the Easy Release principal  seem to be a reasonable compromise.

NB. These particular clips are suggested for the principal only they will not necessarily fit our cars.

Joesson

Further to my earlier post I have checked the frunk fixing dimensions and find the following:

The bodywork hole is 7mm dia.
The frunk cover hole varies 10/11mm dia. likely due to age/ usage.

So I suggest the optimum dimensions for a replacement clip are 6.5mm minor / 15mm major

There are many suppliers offering various items but my "research " finds these to be likely suitable:

6.5mm Trim Panel Clip / Plastic Rivet- Toyota 9046706150
SKU: FCP-0050
6.5/ 17.8mm dia.
1/4 turn
"They can reused time and again and so are perfect for lightweight panels which require access".
£4.39 Inc VAT and delivery / 20

105e

After removing my plastic cover, just to have a look underneath and breaking most of the clips,  i just left the cover of, ive kept it for when/if i sell the car..

ManInDandism

£3.89 for 20.

So you break a few every time. As long as it's not coming off more times than a you-know-whats drawers, should keep you going for a while.
Black 2004 Roadster
Previous: Black 1994 Mk2 Turbo

scm2004red

The OE pattern clips I bought from the supplier I listed above have been removed several times without breaking, they are cheap enough to buy in bulk!
MR2 Red Edition 2004
Porsche 924 1984

Gaz mr-s

The clip plastic is bound to age-harden. So if they're brittle they probably aren't going to come out intact if the clip is a neat fit.

I use 8 - 10mm wide flat screwdriver at a shallow angle & use the blade corner to press down 2mm. You might get away with 3mm.  4, you've burst it.

Joesson

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on July  1, 2020, 13:59The clip plastic is bound to age-harden. So if they're brittle they probably aren't going to come out intact if the clip is a neat fit.

I use 8 - 10mm wide flat screwdriver at a shallow angle & use the blade corner to press down 2mm. You might get away with 3mm.  4, you've burst it.

The flat end of a suitably small Torx screwdriver would avoid overdoing it, or the business end of a ballpoint pen.

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: Joesson on July  1, 2020, 14:17
Quote from: Gaz mr-s on July  1, 2020, 13:59The clip plastic is bound to age-harden. So if they're brittle they probably aren't going to come out intact if the clip is a neat fit.

The flat end of a suitably small Torx screwdriver would avoid overdoing it, or the business end of a ballpoint pen.

That sounds like you're suggesting going vertically.  I use something large enough that's not going down the hole.

Joesson

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on July  1, 2020, 14:51
Quote from: Joesson on July  1, 2020, 14:17

That sounds like you're suggesting going vertically.  I use something large enough that's not going down the hole.

Of course vertically, that is in line with the axis of the clip. I haven't lost a screwdriver/ ballpoint pen through a 7mm hole (yet).

scm2004red

I use a small flat ended punch just under the dia of the push pin, you can feel them click when depressed and the fitting lifts out easily using a trim clip removal tool with a V notch in it.
MR2 Red Edition 2004
Porsche 924 1984

H1GRM

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Pics to follow: Bonnet and bumper being sprayed sometime this week.

Greg
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=66294.0<br /><br />TTE Turbo 6R4 Forest Green - Y55 GRM <br />Jeep Wrangler - H1 GRM

Joesson

Quote from: scm2004red on July  1, 2020, 16:04I use a small flat ended punch just under the dia of the push pin, you can feel them click when depressed and the fitting lifts out easily using a trim clip removal tool with a V notch in it.

What weight hammer do you use on the punch?

😉
Seriously, nothing quite like using tools for their purpose.

scm2004red

None, just use the punch to push in the pin, no force is required. I use the punch because it has a flat end and is easy to grip and it's in the toolbox, you could just as easily use an old screwdriver of similar diameter and cut part of the shaft off to give a usable hand tool for the job.

PS sorry missed your final quip, not awake yet!
MR2 Red Edition 2004
Porsche 924 1984

Tags: