Brake discs

Started by Fin, June 20, 2020, 22:25

Fin

The time has come for me to look at brake discs again  ::)
Once again, there is plenty of meat on my current discs, and all looks OK at a quick glance.
The problem I always have is that the inside of my discs tends to rot. I end up with rust all over the inside of my wheels, and I start to wonder about the strength of the discs themselves, since the inside is obviously as rotten as a pear!!
I assume it all comes down to parking outside, and doing very few miles these days, so they don't really wear out the way they used to...
Anyway, to the point! Does any one have any tricks to stop them rusting inside, or advice on the best replacements to get this time.
My current ones have been on for about 3 or 4 years I think, so I'm not too upset about them, I just don't like having a line of rust around the inside of my wheels. (Most unappealing!)
The Sun is out, the sky is blue,
The roof is down on my MR2,
And I\'m grinning, grinning ear to ear!

Gaz mr-s

In the past year I've had a set of Mtec discs on that were atrocious for rust.
I haven't bought, or used, but I heard about this stuff. Bilt Hamber Atom-Mac Spray

barchetta_ms

I've got some Pagid disks on my Citroen which seem to be pretty rust free. I've also got a set of front one ready to fit to the MR2 when the front end goes back together:

https://pagid.com/product-range/brake-discs/#:~:text=A%20main%20feature%20of%20Pagid,improving%20stopping%20performance%20over%20time.

Topdownman

I just use cheap standard discs and put up with the rust.

The EBC range have some discs they claim are rust resistant but not cheap;

https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/automotive/toyota/mr2-mk3/1.8-2000-2007/13262

Are you talking about the inside face of the disc? If that wasnt being cleared by the pads then sounds like time for an overhaul?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Joesson

As @barchetta_ms  above. I have had Pagid discs, with silver anti corrosion coating (and pads), on my Fiesta since the beginning of December 2017.
Car is kept outside and been driven 30k to March this year, and 200 miles since!
No sign of corrosion, can't see back of discs.
Front discs and pads for the Fiesta,  from CarParts4Less were about £80.00 then.

Ardent

ptennisnet

normanh

+3 on Padgids

Norman

Fin

Hi, thanks for the replies, I've been using Pagids for a while now. Maybe I'm just too tight, and keep them on there too long. It's the venting between the disks that rots, the faces are fine.
Since I don't do any mileage these days, I don't wear them out like I used to...
I'll go ahead and order a new set of Pagids.
The Sun is out, the sky is blue,
The roof is down on my MR2,
And I\'m grinning, grinning ear to ear!

Alex Knight

Blueprint for me. About £30 per axle. Stand up very well to track use also.

potge

Quote from: Fin on June 23, 2020, 13:50Hi, thanks for the replies, I've been using Pagids for a while now. Maybe I'm just too tight, and keep them on there too long. It's the venting between the disks that rots, the faces are fine.
Since I don't do any mileage these days, I don't wear them out like I used to...
I'll go ahead and order a new set of Pagids.

The venting would be tricky, though I would not worried too much about it. I presume some rust inhibitor when new might help things.
It might be worth removing the discs, cleaning the hub and the disc inside surface and the brake pads backplate and caliper area and applying some brake grease (non-metallic), in case you have galvanic corrosion.

Tags: